Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Oct 20, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Imagineer

University - class of 2021

So following previous threads for past university years, I thought I would start one for those of us who have family members hoping to go to university next year.

My DD is hoping to go to uni next year and we have just spent the afternoon trying to narrow down to her 5 choices for her UCAS application. It’s been really difficult trying to do this online via virtual open days we’ve found. Not what we had envisaged at all. She hasn’t had much in the way of advice from her sixth form college either and they want applications soon. (Not sure why?).

So to all in the same position, I’m hoping we can share experiences and support each other.

Those of you who have already been through this, your top tips and advice would be appreciated.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

My DD is hoping to go next year, her application is almost finished although she needs to tweak her personal statement as she is now looking at two different degrees. She loves both subjects and has decided that she wants to go down the academia route for either subject.

She has chosen
Lancaster (chosen two different degrees)
York
Chester
Edge Hill

She doesn’t want to go too far away from home, and is 100% certain she doesn’t want to go to either Manchester or Liverpool which she can commute to. Chester and Edge Hill have lower grade requirements so are the two backup options
kathrynmc is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by kathrynmc View Post
My DD is hoping to go next year, her application is almost finished although she needs to tweak her personal statement as she is now looking at two different degrees. She loves both subjects and has decided that she wants to go down the academia route for either subject.

She has chosen
Lancaster (chosen two different degrees)
York
Chester
Edge Hill

She doesn’t want to go too far away from home, and is 100% certain she doesn’t want to go to either Manchester or Liverpool which she can commute to. Chester and Edge Hill have lower grade requirements so are the two backup options
I’m not sure what your dd is thinking of doing but mine is looking to do criminology. (I think I remember you said something similar?)

Unlike your Dd mine really fancies Manchester. She’s also looking at Leeds, Northumbria and Liverpool (which is just a bit too far for my liking) with the others being between 1-2hours away from us in the north east.

She really needs to get cracking on her finishing her personal statement but she has a teacher/subject interview set up for next month to help with the application process.

I can’t believe how quickly time us moving on! It’ll be Christmas before we know it and then the applications all have to be in! 😬

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
I’m not sure what your dd is thinking of doing but mine is looking to do criminology. (I think I remember you said something similar?)

Unlike your Dd mine really fancies Manchester. She’s also looking at Leeds, Northumbria and Liverpool (which is just a bit too far for my liking) with the others being between 1-2hours away from us in the north east.

She really needs to get cracking on her finishing her personal statement but she has a teacher/subject interview set up for next month to help with the application process.

I can’t believe how quickly time us moving on! It’ll be Christmas before we know it and then the applications all have to be in! 😬

Kat
Yeah my daughter was looking at doing Law with Criminology which I think is still an option for York, although at the minute she has chosen straight Law. Her other option is History.

Chester have a History degree combined with Law which she liked the sound of, but I am not sure what Chester is like statistics wise
kathrynmc is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter is wanting a university rather close so that if she doesn’t like living away she can come back home and commute. So if that is the case she will go to Manchester or Liverpool. But she also really likes York but would not be able to commute. She is looking at a Russell group university but really likes Lancaster.
She is torn between English, History, criminology or history and American studies.

I would rather her stay at home to be honest because she is a messy little thing and I would be worried about the state of her living accommodation 🙈

I could do with some advice on how you work out how much halls of residence is and how much student loan/maintenance she can get?
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
My daughter is wanting a university rather close so that if she doesn’t like living away she can come back home and commute. So if that is the case she will go to Manchester or Liverpool. But she also really likes York but would not be able to commute. She is looking at a Russell group university but really likes Lancaster.
She is torn between English, History, criminology or history and American studies.

I would rather her stay at home to be honest because she is a messy little thing and I would be worried about the state of her living accommodation 🙈

I could do with some advice on how you work out how much halls of residence is and how much student loan/maintenance she can get?
You could do a dummy search on both living at home and living at university

gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post

Re: cost of halls, you are looking at anything from £120 per week upwards for room with en-suite and this is calculated over 48 weeks
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
The A team
VIP Dibber

The A team's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post

Most university websites will have an accommodation page with the hall fee charges on there, many will also give a guide to local accommodation that is not halls e.g. shared student houses. Make sure she is checking the terms and conditions as many will tie her in for a full year meaning even if she decides to move home part way through the year she still has to pay.

Assuming that you are living in England so would apply to student finance England, there is a calculator here gov.uk/student-finance-calculator to work out a guide to how much loan she would get.

Highlands Reserve May/June 2014

Trip report complete July/August 2016 - Beach Club and Sunset Lakes
Trip report complete - One week trip at two weeks notice - The Grove Resort May 2018
7 States Pre-trip (Washington DC, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, New York)
The A team is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Re: cost of halls, you are looking at anything from £120 per week upwards for room with en-suite and this is calculated over 48 weeks
I am not sure if I am doing something completely wrong but I am looking at Liverpool prices and it £170 plus!
My daughter has to have a en-suite so they are more expensive 😫
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you for this. Extremely helpful 👍🏻👍🏻
Unfortunately she won’t get that much. Liverpool is definitely out of the question.