Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Oct 20, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile Struggling with new glasses

Ive worn reading glasses for years and also have a pair of occupational varifocals for work.

Had an eye test a couple of weeks ago and the optician recommended another pair of the occupational varifocals with slightly stronger prescription and also a pair of normal varifocals for driving, etc.

Ive collected them today and the occupational ones are fine but Im really struggling with the others. The distance part is great but I cant seem to get to grips with the reading bit. Now its obviously the same prescription as the occupational ones but wherever I look and however I tilt my head, I cant get it quite right!

They did say I need to persevere for a week or so. Has anyone else had similar problems?
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I found this when I first got varifocals but I love them now.

I think the zones are in a different place on occupational lenses to suit a screen. So you will need to train yourself to find the correct zone with your other glasses on.

Id give it a week before worrying too much.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

If you don't think they're right take them back. I had this last year and the prescription was way out.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie 12
Excited about Disney

Same here I was actually just adjusting mine to read comments on the dibb and yours was first thing I read 😂 just takes a little time
minnie 12 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sully301 View Post
If you don't think they're right take them back. I had this last year and the prescription was way out.
This what Im worried about as the reading part in the occupational ones are fine but with the other pair I just cant seem to get it right!
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by sully301 View Post
Me too. A pair of sunglasses that were fine and normal varifocals that made me feel seasick! They checked them and they were very different!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I'd suggest taking them back to have the lens/prescription checked. DH had a problem with his first pair and there was actually a fault with where they'd put the "line" (sorry don't know the technical name) but his replacement pair was fine.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by HappyHaunt13 View Post
Hello!

Optician here...

In normal varifocals the position of the reading portion of the lens will begin slightly lower down than the occupational lenses and will also be a smaller area (due to the lens having to fit three prescriptions instead of two)

Do you find reading becomes clearer if you lift the glasses slightly? If yes you may to return to your Optician for some adjustments either to the frame or they may need to remake the lenses with a slightly different height measurement.
Wow! Thank you so much for this.

If I push the frame up slightly I can see perfectly! But they wont stay in that position on their own. Ill give the optician a call.

Thanks again, thats brilliant👍
Old 28 Oct 20, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I've had varifocals for a few years now and never had a problem with them; walked out wearing them and never had any issues.

In August I needed to see the optician due to vertigo/nystagmus (GP advised it). My prescription had changed slightly for the worse in the reading bit, so I chose new glasses and then waited for them to come in.

These new glasses I struggled with, badly, just couldn't read with them. Realised that the lenses were crooked on one side. Took them back. New lenses put in, waited for them to arrive and took them home. Still couldn't get on with them, still a massive struggle to focus when reading. Took them back.

This time I got a chap that'd been at the store for donkeys years and actually knew what he was talking about. He said I'd chosen frames that were much larger than my current frames and it looked like my eyes couldn't cope with the range. New frames chosen, almost the same size as my current ones and now I'm waiting for the new glasses to come in. Fingers crossed.

Did you know that there are two types of varifocal lenses? I didn't know, till all this palaver. My current lense has more "intermediate viewing" (i.e. PC/Dashboard). I tried the one with less intermediate, which gives more Reading viewing, but couldn't get on with them at all; although I read easier, I felt like the world wobbled when I looked off to the side etc... made me feel sick.