Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Jul 19, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Superl
A Guest at All-Stars

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I haven’t read that particular thread, no. But I have seen a couple of other Dibbers have problems with “overly cautious” check-in staff and travel agents in the past.
If this ever happens, to any destination, ask the agent to check eligibility on the IATA TIMATIC system. This is the ‘official’ view on what entry requirements are. Most airlines automate it, but if there’s any doubt this will direct the agent in the right direction.

For UK passports entering the US at the moment, it’s (I’ve emphasised the key line for UK citizens):

Visa & passport information search

Passport holder of United Kingdom
Destination United States Modify search

Visa & passport information

Destination - United States (US)

Passport
Passport required.

Passport Exemptions:
Passengers with an Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United States (Form I-512).
Passengers with a British emergency or temporary passport.

Document Validity:

British passports with nationality "British Citizen" must be valid for the period of intended stay.

Passengers with a British passport with nationality "British Overseas Territories Citizen" and with "Government of Bermuda" on the cover, must be valid for the period of intended stay.

British passports with nationality "British Overseas Territories Citizen" issued by Anguilla, Cayman Isl., Falkland Isl. (Malvinas), Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn Isl., Turks and Caicos Isl., St. Helena or Virgin Isl. (British), must be valid for a minimum of 6 months beyond the period of intended stay.

When passengers travel with a British emergency or temporary passport, it must be valid for the period of intended stay.

When passengers travel with an authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United States (Form I-512), it must be valid on arrival.

Additional Information:
Customs and Border Protection (CBP) pre-embarkation inspection:
- will take place when coming directly from Guam or Virgin Isl.;
- may take place when coming directly from Puerto Rico.

Minors:
Children, up to/incl. 15 years of age, being nationals of United Kingdom, are not allowed to enter the USA on their parents passports.

Minors traveling unaccompanied, or accompanied by one parent or a person other than parent/legal guardian, can prevent possible delays if holding a notarized letter of authorization signed by absent parent(s). For more details refer to help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/kw .

Visa

Visa required.

Visa Exemptions:

Passengers with a British passport with nationality "British Citizen". They must have an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) and travel as a tourist, on business or in transit, for a maximum stay of 90 days.

This does not apply to passengers with a British emergency or temporary passport.

Passengers with a British passport with nationality "British Overseas Territories Citizen" and with "Government of Bermuda" on the cover.
This does not apply to passengers with a British emergency or temporary passport.

Passengers with an Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United States (Form I-512).

Passengers admitted to the USA on a visa, returning to the USA after a visit of maximum 30 days to Canada or Mexico or to adjacent islands (except for Cuba) . Holders of F or J visas must present an endorsed SEVIS Form I-20MN for M visa holders; SEVIS I-20AB or SEVIS DS-2019 for F or J visa holders.

Additional Information:

The following applies to those traveling under the US Visa Waiver Program:

Passengers must have a biometric passport (with an electronic chip symbol on the cover).

Detailed information on ESTA restrictions can be found on https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/esta#

A return/onward ticket (or electronic ticket record) must be to a final destination country other than Canada, Mexico or contiguous (adjacent) countries or territories situated in or bordering the Caribbean Sea . If a passenger holds proof of residence in Canada, Mexico or a contiguous (adjacent) country or territory and is transiting the USA to that country or territory, then an onward/return ticket to that country or territory is accepted.

Passenger can make side trips to Canada, Mexico or Caribbean countries/islands if they first enter the USA on a carrier participating in the VWP. No additional time is given (extension) based on the departure to contiguous (adjacent) territory .

A passenger may enter the USA with a valid visa in an expired passport, if also holding a valid passport of the same nationality. Transfer of a valid visa to a valid passport is highly recommended in all cases.

Warning:

Passengers must obtain an ESTA authorization at https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/.

This does not apply to passengers with a British passport with nationality "British Overseas Territories Citizen" and with "Government of Bermuda" on the cover.

Visitors must hold a return/onward ticket to qualify for a visa exemption
Superl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
grinner82
Imagineer

grinner82's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 19
Guidebook Photos: 83
Guidebook Reviews: 10
Its black and white. Its value for the length of stay so it's valid. No grey areas.

To me its a bit like car insurance. Valid to the end of the month but decide to renew on the 4th.

I think its natural to worry. Mostly the huge costs at stake but its valid and there is no benefit to renewing at this point but potential issues.
Old 9 Jul 19, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
markpwa8
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for the replies. All sorted. Sticking with it. ESTA is valid, Passport is Valid, so all good to go!
markpwa8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

OP am hoping you had a great holiday with no passport issues at check in!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by darbs View Post
... 38 days afore you're offski Darbs, have a smashing holiday
Old 7 Sep 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
... 38 days afore you're offski Darbs, have a smashing holiday
Thanks Chris! Have you flown with virgin to florida with less than 6 months on passport? Lovely lady in store set my mind at rest but advisor online still says 6 months are needed (which I know is incorrect) Just worried about a problem at check in...
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

The dates ended up pretty close to cancelled flights due to a hurricane! Seems like they got lucky but it could have become an issue.
Old 8 Sep 19, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Thanks Chris! Have you flown with virgin to florida with less than 6 months on passport? Lovely lady in store set my mind at rest but advisor online still says 6 months are needed (which I know is incorrect) Just worried about a problem at check in...
You'll be fine Darbs hin, upon return from Fl in May 2018 hubs had circa 7 weeks remaining on his pp, at Nov entry nothing was said. Have you read the 'Six Month Club' website by CBP, if not take a peek HERE. We're one of circa 131 countries that don't need 6 month remaining on UK pp's. If anybody tells you differently point them to the official UK Gov website (scroll halfway down to Passport Validity)

I'm amazed at the number of websites who say 6 month is required, clearly they've done no current research and confuse travellers, as do TA's who trot out their 'blanket' 6 month validity, it'd be better if they pointed travellers to the official UK Gov and the Six Month Club websites.
Old 8 Sep 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
You'll be fine Darbs hin, upon return from Fl in May 2018 hubs had circa 7 weeks remaining on his pp, at Nov entry nothing was said. Have you read the 'Six Month Club' website by CBP, if not take a peek HERE. We're one of circa 131 countries that don't need 6 month remaining on UK pp's. If anybody tells you differently point them to the official UK Gov website (scroll halfway down to Passport Validity)

I'm amazed at the number of websites who say 6 month is required, clearly they've done no current research and confuse travellers, as do TA's who trot out their 'blanket' 6 month validity, it'd be better if they pointed travellers to the official UK Gov and the Six Month Club websites.
I think I am overthinking as booked a package and normally book everything independently. We have flown before with less than 6 months on passport and it was fine, just had to see immigration officer rather than use the automated machines.
Old 8 Sep 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
scottsman
Apprentice Imagineer

As you’ve got 22 days I would seriously consider changing your passport

Yes you passport will be valid and should be ok but should something happen that’s stops your flying, be it a natural disaster, injury or anything else that delays you beyond your expiry date you won’t be able to fly and while not impossible to sort out given time you will be left paying for new flight and accommodation and any other fees as well as paying for a new esta
scottsman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List