Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 4 Nov 20, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Westhamtillidie
Earning More Ears

DVC Keep or Sell .

With the ongoing Covid nightmare we are really giving thought to selling our DVC membership. Don't get me wrong we have had great enjoyment over the years, staying in DVC properties that we could only dream about before we joined, however based on the fact that you can't even travel to the US at the moment & if & when this ban is lifted what will be left in the airline business to get there. Usually if we don't travel we rent out our points which covers the dues payments with money left over so no problem BUT this seems to be very slow business at the moment. With the dues payment looming we really are not sure what to do. You might say hold on this nightmare will come to a end, but this was thought to happen & 2021 we could all start booking again, doesn't look that great at the moment? Thoughts?
Westhamtillidie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
ginnyfish
Getting Excited

I decided quite early in all this that I would wait until my 2022 trip to decide. If that looks unlikely, I will sadly .sell up. I have canceled our November trip, and will probably move our May trip to November 2021. If that can’t go ahead I will move it to May 2022. If that’s a no go, we will sell. Maybe you should think about your own timeline. How many trips are you willing to cancel or move?
Old 4 Nov 20, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

How many years do you have left? We see our DVC as a long term investment and if we can’t get to USA or sell we use for stays in the UK. I know you don’t get the same bang for your buck but we won’t sell for what could be 2 years of disruption when we have many more to look forward to. We worked out it’s cheaper to take the hit now than re buy later. We have banked some points into RCI to try somewhere new in 2022. Financially we can cope with that but I realise not everyone will be keen or able to do that.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
JasonErpelding
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by Westhamtillidie View Post
With the ongoing Covid nightmare we are really giving thought to selling our DVC membership. Don't get me wrong we have had great enjoyment over the years, staying in DVC properties that we could only dream about before we joined, however based on the fact that you can't even travel to the US at the moment & if & when this ban is lifted what will be left in the airline business to get there. Usually if we don't travel we rent out our points which covers the dues payments with money left over so no problem BUT this seems to be very slow business at the moment. With the dues payment looming we really are not sure what to do. You might say hold on this nightmare will come to a end, but this was thought to happen & 2021 we could all start booking again, doesn't look that great at the moment? Thoughts?
I understanding as very frustrating not knowing when things will be back to normal. The waiting game seems to be going on forever.

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
Buy and Sell DVC, Inc.®
Old 4 Nov 20, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mental4ever
Excited about Disney

I would not even think of selling at the moment. Even though 2021 looks as though it will not go ahead we are all looking towards 2022 with our fingers crossed.
You may be taking a hit 2020 & 2021 but there are still years left to make memories/money. 🤔🤔🤔
Universal Aug/Sept 2023.
BWV & Universal Feb & May 2024. BWV Jan 2025.
mental4ever is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Westhamtillidie
Earning More Ears

Well we still have 36 years left so plenty to look forward to, the plan was to pass them on to our 2 sons who now have young families but unfortunately they both have been badly effected by the covid cull (losing their jobs), as we are getting older even without covid we realise that travelling to the US will start to provide new challenges with travel insurance & health problems. Don't get me wrong I would happily go there every year I love it but these nagging concerns are always at the back of my mind.
Westhamtillidie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

We have just decided to list ours for similar reasons.Adult kids would not be able to afford holidays using the points and we are Disneyed out,so might as well sell them and travel elsewhere.
Old 4 Nov 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I think if you already had some thoughts about selling this could now be the trigger. I have always intended to sell mine when things like travel insurance gets too expensive (hopefully not for some years yet!)

I know some people plan to pass their points onto their children, but I would only want to do that if mine had the financial stability and desire to use them. I wouldn’t have thanked anyone giving me DVC points until I was in my late twenties as I had no spare money at all for flights/tickets/anything !
Old 4 Nov 20, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
crux
Apprentice Imagineer

We already sold our 150 point Boulder Ridge contract at the end of last year - good timing or what. At the moment we are deciding whether to sell our remaining 72 point Beach Club contract. We've bought our contracts in 2001 and 2002, so we've more than had our monies worth out of them.

I think we will decide to sell in the end, I just can't see us getting any real use out of the points in the next few years and we might as well get some money back. We are fortunate that we don't need the cash, but it seems daft just leaving the points to go to waste.
Beach Club Villas 2003 2006 2009 2012 2014 2015 2018
Boardwalk Villas 2016
crux is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I think if you already had some thoughts about selling this could now be the trigger. I have always intended to sell mine when things like travel insurance gets too expensive (hopefully not for some years yet!)

I know some people plan to pass their points onto their children, but I would only want to do that if mine had the financial stability and desire to use them. I wouldn’t have thanked anyone giving me DVC points until I was in my late twenties as I had no spare money at all for flights/tickets/anything !
We plan on passing on our BLT contracts to DS1. He’s financially able to continue to pay the Annual Dues and will use our points for their holidays, including DS2.
BarryandCaron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List