Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jul 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Buttercup1982
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Weekend away Wiltshire

Well we're home from a fabulous weekend. Warminster brings back so many amazing memories for me. It was the first time I left home, 18 years ago I moved to a town where I knew nobody but my husband. We met before he joined the army and we were based here when we first got married. I made amazing friends and colleagues whilst here
. I found out I was pregnant here, had our daughter in Frome and spent many a weekend on the Longleat Estate having picnics. Visits to Trowbridge, Chippenham, Salisbury and Bath were taken for granted. I don't think I fully appreciated the area when I lived there so its amazing to go back and revisit x x
Buttercup1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

I think its often the case that you don't appreciate somewhere until you don't live there anymore. I used to live in a small Oxfordshire village which I thought was really boring until I moved away
Old 27 Jul 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Goofy3
Excited about Disney

Thank you for posting this. I am in the process of planning a weekend in that area in August on route to Portsmouth on the south coast. (Premier Inns are very cheap at the moment, so planning to visit places In the U.K we haven’t seen) The Premier in at Frome is one I have been toying with booking. Frome looks lovely.
I have a couple of questions. How did you see Stonehenge? According to the website my family of 5 will have to pay £95 plus parking. Is there a way of seeing it for free? I know a main road passes it, but we would like to get a better look than whizzing past!
Also Longleat safari park is partially open. Tickets will cost £120 for this. It seems like a good option for social distancing, but trip advisor is full of bad reviews since they reopened. (Mainly from annual pass holders- it seems the Pizza isn’t as good as it was!) Is this a good day out?
Also thinking of going to Bath. Any recommendations? Not sure where some of your photos were taken but there is an abundance of stunning buildings in that area. We live on the coast in the North West, so don’t know that area at all.
Many thanks.
Goofy3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Wiltshire is certainly beautiful.

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
2008 Fairfield Inn / St Augustine / POR - 2011 Springhill Suites LBV
Aug 2022 Disney All Stars (with Grandchildren)
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Beaker's Fluff
Imagineer

I am local to this area, we always take our own location for granted though. We go to Bath at least once a fortnight but it’s only when we go with others that we appreciate things through their eyes again, wandering around the back streets.

1997/1998 Quality Inn.2006 Villa.2007&2008Fairfield
2013 LBV Resort and Spa 2015 Sheraton Times Sq.NY.
2016 Barcelo Teguise Beach 2016 Trump Int Toronto
2016 Xmas in NY.2018 LBV Resort And Spa 2019 Croatia Venice and Boston
Beaker's Fluff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Buttercup1982
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goofy3 View Post
Thank you for posting this. I am in the process of planning a weekend in that area in August on route to Portsmouth on the south coast. (Premier Inns are very cheap at the moment, so planning to visit places In the U.K we haven’t seen) The Premier in at Frome is one I have been toying with booking. Frome looks lovely.
I have a couple of questions. How did you see Stonehenge? According to the website my family of 5 will have to pay £95 plus parking. Is there a way of seeing it for free? I know a main road passes it, but we would like to get a better look than whizzing past!
Also Longleat safari park is partially open. Tickets will cost £120 for this. It seems like a good option for social distancing, but trip advisor is full of bad reviews since they reopened. (Mainly from annual pass holders- it seems the Pizza isn’t as good as it was!) Is this a good day out?
Also thinking of going to Bath. Any recommendations? Not sure where some of your photos were taken but there is an abundance of stunning buildings in that area. We live on the coast in the North West, so don’t know that area at all.
Many thanks.
As my husband is ex military we got discount on his DDS card on Longleat and Stonehenge is free with our National Trust membership. We loved Longleat but it would be great to go back when its fully open. My friend has booked a Premier Inn in Chippenham for next week x x
Buttercup1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

We live in Bath and often go to Longleat and Warminster (although that is usually for the big b&m! ).
I was just going to comment and say you can go to Stonehenge if you are a NT member, the price otherwise is bonkers!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goofy3 View Post
Many thanks.
Prem Inn in Trowbridge ( just down the road from Frome ) has food places right next door, Franky and Bennys, Prezo etc, literately out the front door and its next door, handy if you want a drink
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dismum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 4
Guidebook Photos: 2
A family membership for the English Heritage the body that runs run Stonehenge is £109 so it may be worth taking that out as there are lots of places you can visit The only way to get close to Stonehenge is via the official route -otherwise it is a passing shot from the A303

english-heritage.uk/join/
dismum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Please don’t try and see Stonehenge from the main road - as someone who drives past as part of my commute we see so many accidents and near misses while people try and take photos on the way past
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List