Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 22 Nov 20, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
timnlaura
slightly serious Dibber

AKL Club level or stick with Value

We have managed to book almost all of our holiday in an AKV studio for next October/November but we are considering a couple of night club level at AKL, which i think is worth the extra points, but my OH doesn't.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the AKL Club level?

For mid week its a difference of 12 points per night.

TIA
timnlaura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

12 points in normal times are worth circa $180- would you get that much food? Many would not, per day.
Also bear in mind that it is basically closed down with the virus, and no buffets- will the buffet situation be back by October/ Nov? I think it will be one of the last things back - food left out in the open. Maybe, but I would not count on it by even next October. If not and it is re-opened what will it look like? Someone bringing you something when asked for it?
I may not bother to be honest until we are sure it is back on properly.
Then again, some people with being unable to go for a year have banked points burning a hole in their pocket so for them it may be a great idea.

Edited at 03:35 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by timnlaura View Post
We have managed to book almost all of our holiday in an AKV studio for next October/November but we are considering a couple of night club level at AKL, which i think is worth the extra points, but my OH doesn't.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the AKL Club level?

For mid week its a difference of 12 points per night.

TIA
I've stayed in both and if you can get a couple of nights club I'd definitely go for it. I've never been one to try and equate a stay in concierge as getting the best bang for my buck. It's not about how much food you can eat trust me, I've seen people doing that -hovering as the CM's are setting up the buffet and then stuffing their plates and trying to treat the offerings as a meal replacement . It's more about having somewhere nice to relax, have a drink or a snack and soak up the atmosphere from the lobby below. It's magical up there, especially when they are drumming down in the lobby.

I think you might struggle to find availability but if you do, I'd go for it. Also, if you book say two nights you can use the lounge from early morning on your check in day and until it closes on your check out day

Edited at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling
TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I wouldn’t spend the extra points until I knew that all (or at least most) of the concierge offerings were back to ‘normal’, personally.
Old 22 Nov 20, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

I've stayed club level once and really loved it. I'd definitely spend my points on it if I could. We weren't trying to get value for money, but if we were then it probably would have been in drink. :-)
I don't eat much in a morning but it was lovely to have a nice choice for breakfast every day without having to pay buffet prices. We hadn't realised how much food there would be in an evening and had booked restaurants most nights, but if we did it again it would probably be our main source of food.
I haven't been since the changes so I don't know what they're currently offering, but when/if things get back to normal I'll keep trying to get in at AKV!
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
12 points in normal times are worth circa $180- would you get that much food? Many would not, per day.
I'm basing this comment entirely on pre-covid club level as I haven't been since. I think if you're the type who orders in groceries and mainly cooks in your villa, who takes packed lunch to the park, and who only has the occasional meal out with little alcohol then it would be hard to get your monies worth. A lot of people do it very differently, and I think the $180 could be a bargain for some. If you consider the cost, even for just a couple, of two breakfasts, a takeaway coffee, afternoon snacks and ice cream, bottles of water and cans of coke, and two evening meals with a couple of glasses of wine each and a couple of night caps to take back to your room then this is a really good deal! It's also nice to not have to worry about the tip.
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
I'm basing this comment entirely on pre-covid club level as I haven't been since. I think if you're the type who orders in groceries and mainly cooks in your villa, who takes packed lunch to the park, and who only has the occasional meal out with little alcohol then it would be hard to get your monies worth. A lot of people do it very differently, and I think the $180 could be a bargain for some. If you consider the cost, even for just a couple, of two breakfasts, a takeaway coffee, afternoon snacks and ice cream, bottles of water and cans of coke, and two evening meals with a couple of glasses of wine each and a couple of night caps to take back to your room then this is a really good deal! It's also nice to not have to worry about the tip.
Noodlez have you been following me around on holiday? Although in fairness I eat out nearly every night.
Old 23 Nov 20, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
timnlaura
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks all! We love to eat out when we are there and I was more thinking of it as a break in the middle or even the end when we have a couple of shopping and resort days. I like to have the odd drinky poo when we are there and it sounded perfect being able to chill out, listen to the hustle and bustle below and generally just take 5. With there being 4 of us a few snacks and drinks would have quickly mounted up.

We have decided to wait until next time to take a few days and chill. That is that we get away next year for there to be a next time. (Fingers crossed!) I had been stalking the dates and a managed to get 2 at the start, which wasn’t ideal as we are never at the resort for the first week.

Now to decide on flights which are currently sitting at £2200 indirect fly drive, just a bit more than I would usually want.
timnlaura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
fraser301
Apprentice Imagineer

We have stayed a few time club level and it is great worth every point very relaxing plenty of food and drink and if you want to take a break from the frantic times in the park go for it you will not be disappointed.
fraser301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JasonErpelding
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
I think you might struggle to find availability but if you do, I'd go for it. Also, if you book say two nights you can use the lounge from early morning on your check in day and until it closes on your check out day

I thought the only way to get Club level was to "walk the reservation" and that is typically frowned upon by most members. I have never walked a reservation but I also have never gotten club level.

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
Buy and Sell DVC, Inc.®