Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 May 21, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Our DS used to do this (playing Fifa). We used to encourage him to have a break when he got this frustrated (easier said than done, I know). It’s so difficult to listen to the shouting & swearing when it’s supposed to be something enjoyable they’re playing. We used to say if he felt like that, it’s obviously no longer enjoyable so just have a short break. As with Mr TM, our son seems to have grown out of this phase - he still plays but the occasions I hear him shouting are few & far between now. Perhaps now that he’s got other pre-occupations on his mind (learning to drive, having a p/time job, thinking about Uni) the Xbox has become less important.
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasarah
VIP Dibber

floridasarah's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
As I have said, DGS (aged nearly 15) loves playing on his consoles. He got an Xbox and now he has bought himself a PS5. He does nothing but play on them. Sometimes he gets so angry that he throws down the controller and shouts extremely loudly at the game. Fortunately he is in a different room to us but we spend a lot of time waiting for the anger to come out. We have tried to talk to him and threatened to ban him from playing. But I don’t know if stopping him from playing would do any good.

So, I wondered if an anger management course might help. I don’t know where to start with that but I would find out. We want the violence (throwing things around) to stop. And we don’t want it to carry over into adult life!

Anyway, my question is this. Are other teenagers the same? He can’t be the only one surely.
Our DS(18) is the same. When he plays it he sometimes gets frusrated and huffs and puffs and slams his contoller down on the settee. If I am around I tell him to stop playing and pick something else to do.
floridasarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

the joys of games consoles

My boys are the same they're ok till they get frustrated or lose repeatedly then they start yelling and cursing. My youngest is worse as he tendancy to want to throw the controller when he gets mad - I'd much rather they yell than break things.
Certain games are far worse than others and I find if they are chatting with friends they seem to shout more in general. NBA 2k21, fortnite and warframe are the ones causing the most outbursts at the moment.

I do allow some leeway on some words that other people may class as swearing in moderation but other major swear words are not be tolerated at all and have consequences however I will always remind them to watch their language esp if on voice chat.

I will call time out if they are getting too wound up.

Watch your language, calm down & its only a game are frequent phrase in our house
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarey101
Proud to wear my Ears

My eldest is 16 and has a deep booming voice. He’s calmed down abit recently but FIFA used to get him really wound up. We could hear him above the tv downstairs when he was upstairs. Drove us crazy!
Clarey101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

DS13 sometimes gets a bit shouty, but we tell him to calm down or it’s going off. No swearing allowed though. His friend who comes over and is the same age, gets really wound up and at his home can be really rude to his mum, she bans him from playing for a set time altogether when that happens. It seems to be a part of them gaming and growing up, but obviously needs to be managed.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Michyloulou View Post
Our DS used to do this (playing Fifa). We used to encourage him to have a break when he got this frustrated (easier said than done, I know). It’s so difficult to listen to the shouting & swearing when it’s supposed to be something enjoyable they’re playing. We used to say if he felt like that, it’s obviously no longer enjoyable so just have a short break. As with Mr TM, our son seems to have grown out of this phase - he still plays but the occasions I hear him shouting are few & far between now. Perhaps now that he’s got other pre-occupations on his mind (learning to drive, having a p/time job, thinking about Uni) the Xbox has become less important.
It’s always FIFA 🙄🤣🤣
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Mine likes Call of Duty, Minecraft, some strange game with a giant football and cars in a futuristic stadium, and loads of other war/ shooting type games. He was really into Fortnite but doesn't play it much.

He gets a little shouty sometimes, but not too bad.

He's trying to balance this with GCSEs.

He wants to study a gaming BTech as part of his 6th form. Apparently it's not about sitting around in gaming chairs and playing games.

Old 2 May 21, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Mine likes Call of Duty, Minecraft, some strange game with a giant football and cars in a futuristic stadium,

My ds also plays this! 😆
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
My ds also plays this! 😆
I'm informed it's called Rocket League!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Nothing to add about game consoles apart from many, many men play them and don’t grow out of them.

As for swearing. I was talking to my mum months ago now and I said something along the lines of “that bloody idiot” and I got a thwack on my lug along with a “don’t swear in my house” I’m 52 and still won’t swear in front of my mum