Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Aug 21, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Hammerstone
Very Serious Dibber

Its reaching the point for a family of 4 to have a trip to Disney is almost going to equal the deposit for a property. Mind boggling
Hammerstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by YLL View Post
In general standby queues will be shorter than ever before. Many people will be put off from going at all (as seen on these threads), and the majority of people who do go will not pay.
If they’re not paying then they’ll be in the standby queues as well, surely?
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveyJ
Imagineer

I need to see some hard facts on this new paid system to judge it properly but between me and my wife I think next year might be our last trip for a while.
SteveyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
If they’re not paying then they’ll be in the standby queues as well, surely?
Yes, but the standby queue will move faster as less people will use the paud option lane. So instead of let's say a 40 min wait in standby for Haunted Mansion, it could be down to 25 mins (well, that's my hope anyway haha)
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Yes, but the standby queue will move faster as less people will use the paud option lane. So instead of let's say a 40 min wait in standby for Haunted Mansion, it could be down to 25 mins (well, that's my hope anyway haha)
I’m not sure that logic quite works (as much as I like it!) as it will still broadly be the same number of people to be loaded despite less of them being in the paid for queue.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Keegan
Apprentice Imagineer

Exactly this.

Fastpass+ was the WORST thing that ever happened to standby lines. They were unnecessarily long, the ratio on some rides was around 4 standby guests for every 40/50 fastpass guests. It was absolutely crazy!

When it was still 1 at a time, walk to ride fastpasses the standby queues were much more reasonable and moved along smoothly.
Keegan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rachv38 View Post
I'm so pleased we've managed to ride on them as I don't fancy spending more $. If free dining comes back would consider onsite again, will work out the costs. I've noticed that park tickets for 2023 are already £2000 for a family of 4.
I think that the passes are good value based on £2k for 14 days that is £36 per person per day as long as you can hop that is great value as long as you use them most days. Add $15 for FP $5 for parking and then some exorbitant amount for food and the value falls off of a cliff !
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
juliebissett72
Excited about Disney

I’m ‘out’ on the back of the new fast pass system. Unless things drastically change in the future, Disney is just not worth it anymore for us. It’s the principal rather than the cost alone, all perks gone and prices rising regardless. If people keep paying ,and I fear they will at least in the US market, it will only get more expensive. We’ve been plenty times before but would rather spend my holiday funds on something that’s gives me a far better value.
juliebissett72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

I had a trip planned for May for my daughter and I. I am earnestly looking at alternative destinations, and will likely call Disney, cancel and get refund. Hate to say it, but now I am 100% sure this trip would have been the last WDW spend for me.

My kids have outgrown it and more important than nostalgia is that the value isn't there anymore. The cost is ludicrous at this point; particularly for those of us who have been going for the last 10-15 years and know just how far Disney has fallen from the magical place it used to be. There's no justification (in my mind) for the rate at which costs have dramatically increased; given the substantial decrease in return and massive planning now required.

Hurts to say, but my family is done. So much better value out there to be found and more interesting (and authentic) destinations that could be had for less money.

I know the Disney fan community is used to prematurely predicting the straw that breaks the WDW fan's back, but for me this move really feels different. This leaves a gross taste in my mouth.

Edited at 01:31 PM.
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
Exactly this.

Fastpass+ was the WORST thing that ever happened to standby lines. They were unnecessarily long, the ratio on some rides was around 4 standby guests for every 40/50 fastpass guests. It was absolutely crazy!

When it was still 1 at a time, walk to ride fastpasses the standby queues were much more reasonable and moved along smoothly.
Um I am not quite sure how this works (but I am a bit thick) lets say haunted mansion can take 100 people per hour so at this it would be say 90 people on a FP and 10 people in the normal line.

It will still be processing 100 people per hour so whilst the average wait for the people in the stand by line will indeed reduce the average wait for the people who would have been in the FP line will increase meaning that the average wait overall should be the same except it will be slightly longer as this is not taking into account the people who have bought FP who will have a lesser wait.

Now this all sounds good and dandy but lets look at the way my family for instance use FP.

We go to the park for EMH in the morning we have two hours to cover rides with smaller than average lines, as the park opens we hope to get a couple more rides on at the far end of the park leaving out the headline rides everyone is making a beeline for when the park opens and then from say 11am we have our FP on these rides and then go back to the hotel if we cant FP on rides we want to do when we have completed the current ones.

Under the new system we woudl be in the park for EMH and then as the park opens have to try to get one headline ride before the queues form after that we either have to queue or not ride. We are not bothered in MK for instance with Pooh Bear, Small World or other small rides, i can see the lines for these being shorter but the headline rides being longer at certain times of the day because people can not plan so well how they want to ride.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List