Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 13 Oct 21, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Cutting Back at Christmas

I think this is probably touched on every single year, but any parents thinking of seriously cutting back this year.

My boys are 15 and 10, they don't need anything, we have all the electronic devices, they have their bikes etc and as well as the fact that we are going to Tenerife for New Year I want to limit what they get from "Santa" as I cannot justify spending a fortune any longer.

Anyone else cut back drastically and how did it go, I think the main thing for me is the feeling of guilt if they dont have a lot of presents to open! However as they get older they only want trainers, football boots, a game for the PS5 etc and before you know it you have spent a fortune on 2 or 3 things.
2littleboys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

My kids are 10&12 at Xmas and similar to you, they have every big ticket item they want/need. In addition, everything is more expensive as they grow so naturally the pile becomes reduced by default.
Old 13 Oct 21, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Mine always have lots and lots to open, they take turns opening presents because they like seeing what their siblings have got.
Tiny items like a scratch card, keyring etc go in a box so their piles look substantial and they can’t guess what it is 😂😂
They usually get a main present then bits like pjs, slippers, dressing gown, toiletries, mug, key ring, chocolates etc
So its not necessarily expensive stuff but the look on their faces when they walk into the living area is totally priceless.
I don’t buy things for the sake of it and I don’t spoil them throughout the year so they do usually need a new pair of trainers or coat for Christmas but I would be buying those anyway.
I save all year for Christmas so that I don’t feel the pinch but I find teenage boys really difficult to buy for because trainers and named clothing is so expensive 🤯
Whereas I can get a pair of gorgeous silver earrings for around £10 for my daughter 😀
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I always say I’m cutting back but never do, I say £200 each limit now they are older but always go over. I could buy my daughter so much. A few clothes and trainers you could easily spend £200 so then I get sweets and chocolates, stocking fillers. They are lucky to get things off other family members too, everyone does what they can afford I suppose.
Old 13 Oct 21, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

We used to buy stuff for aunts, uncles, cousins, cousins kids... etc etc... But a couple of years ago we sat there and realised we're the only ones doing this so that stopped pretty sharpish! With the DW's side of the family it was a fair chunk of change!
Immediate family now usually get an updated really nicely framed picture of our DD, maybe some choccies/wine also.
Our DD gets an updated wardrobe worth of clothing from Primarni and one showstopper normally. So that'll be pretty much the same this year, fairly cut back from what it used to be like. And as for me and the DW, we say the same every year and fail to stick to either getting nothing or a £50 budget!
Old 13 Oct 21, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I tend to go for pretty cheap items as stocking fillers. When they were little it was more the act of unwrapping that they loved, rather than the present they received. So I've always stuck to inexpensive gifts in stockings and then a couple of main presents under the tree.

For stockings I buy lots of edible things, chocolate, variety packs of cereal, the tubs of twiglets they do at Christmas, Pringles, sachets of hot chocolate, a chocolate Santa, chocolate orange, after eight mints...all treat bits, but it's stuff they can keep in their rooms and is just for them that doesn't have to be shared. Plus I do toiletries, socks, underwear, PJs, slippers, dressing gown...all bits I would buy them anyway which sounds a bit stingy but it's all wrapped up and makes the pile of presents look better.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

I try to get my children their main gifts (usually limited to £150 each - there’s been the odd year it’s been more, eg when DD’s both got laptops, but usually £150). Then I try to keep small stocking fillers as cheap bits:-
-Make-up cotton pads £1
-Bubble bath £1
-Pens £2
-Nail polish £5
-False eyelashes £1
-Christmas earrings set £2.50
That’s for the girls. In the past my son has had:
-Xmas socks £3
-Deodorant £1
-Pens £2
-Chocolate coins £1
-Phone case £9
My kids also have larger stockings which my Mum made for them when younger. It was easiest to fill them more cheaply back then with toys. More recently they’ve had a few items from the list below:
-Books
-Xbox, or other gift card inside a Christmas card which I then wrap up.
-Selection pack (or large Kinder egg)
-Hot chocolate’bombs’
-Football (DS)
-Make-up set
-Make-up brushes
-Light up mirror
-Soap & Glory set
-Cheap Perfume/spray
-Reed Diffuser (as I won’t allow candles in bedrooms).
-Fleece blanket
-DVD’s
-Games
-Jigsaws
-Dolls clothes
-A new top each
Colouring book & felt pens
Most of the things like make-up brushes are generic non-branded. Eldest DD once put Morphe brushes on her list - I was glad I was sitting down when I looked at the prices! Fortunately she changed her mind on them when I said they’d have to be her main present (for a whole set!).
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
That's a great list!

It reminded me that I also usually include lots of pens, pencils, highlighters, notepads...everything you can think of that the Range has! Useful for their school pencil case...basically all stationery or stationary as I can't remember which is the correct spelling

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Just to add, me & my twin sister do each other a stocking + main present (£25). Last year she chose a new M&S dressing gown a her main gift. In her stocking we’re surprises.
- Guylian chocs (her favourite)
- A Yankee Candle car air freshener.
a
-Wax melts
-A pre-mix can of Gin
-Scratchcard
-Starbucks coffee pods
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
All-smiles
Excited about Disney

It was my plan to do the 5 gift rule for christmases and birthdays. I tried to do it for DD birthday and she was very appreciative of what she got. I bought just a few extra bits but I did feel guilty like there wasnt much there.

Then I started buying bits for christmas and found loads I thought she would love. Instead I set a £200 limit and decided to stick to it. We spent hardly anything on the baby though but because he isnt old enough to even know about christmas and we bought him cheaper gifts. Next year I think I will just have a £200 budget for them both and stick to it. I think that is plenty!

Edited at 08:47 PM.
All-smiles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List