Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 21, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Have you looked at your online HMRC account? I've always checked there first to see if it's correct. Any alterations have been done quickly for me this way.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Disneymaddaddy View Post
I have sent payroll an email tonight and if unable to help I will call HMRC just a shame to be earning more money but taking less home!
It is a fairly strange tax code to change to, in that the 806 makes it quite specific rather than a generic M1, W1 code. For that reason and also as you have had two payslips with a regular tax code, I would honestly wonder if payroll have applied somebody else’s tax code to you in error. So definitely worth checking that payroll process is correct.

However, if payroll have definitely received that notification, they won’t be able to help you find out why, it is something that you will need to personally follow up with HMRC.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gev View Post
You payroll team won’t be able to sort it, I’m afraid. They are required to use whatever code HMRC issue. Earnings and tax are reported under Real Time Information and tax codes are issued to employers electronically, fairly quickly. Best give them a call. Hope you get it sorted.
I logged onto HMRC and it is showing to tax code as 806 and ive not had any letters from them.

Will give HMRC a call tomorrow

WDW Visited in 1992, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013
Disneymaddaddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
It is a fairly strange tax code to change to, in that the 806 makes it quite specific rather than a generic M1, W1 code. For that reason and also as you have had two payslips with a regular tax code, I would honestly wonder if payroll have applied somebody else’s tax code to you in error. So definitely worth checking that payroll process is correct.

However, if payroll have definitely received that notification, they won’t be able to help you find out why, it is something that you will need to personally follow up with HMRC.
On my 2 payslips from the new company both show 806L M1

I will give HMRC a call I know they rarely make mistakes but seems odd that I’ve always been on 1257L and now I’m not!

Disneymaddaddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 04:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

On my 2 payslips from the new company both show 806L M1

I will give HMRC a call I know they rarely make mistakes but seems odd that I’ve always been on 1257L and now I’m not!
Oh ok I misread, thought you had had the regular 1257L there. The M1 is not so odd from a new company, the 806 is strange to have come out of the blue, reasons for it might include a previous underpayment of tax or an allocation of allowance between two jobs.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Definitely no car, private medical or anything?
Old 18 Oct 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Emergency rate would be BR. They will have arrived at your one somehow and once you manage to get through on the phone, they are always incredibly helpful IME.

If you are due money back they will send a new code electronically to your payroll and you should get the overpaid tax refunded next month.

It's quite a chunk. I was thinking car lease too.

Good luck with it. :-)
ETA, if you have other smaller or casual employments where you have not been 'P45ed' or plan to carry on in some way, ask HMRC to apply all your personal allowance to your main employment, assuming you will be earning over the taxable allowance.

They will happily split personal allowance between employments where this helps an individual out too.

Edited at 09:12 AM.
ILoveDaveLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

I know they rarely make mistakes

Looks as if they think you have 2 or more income streams. Phone them. 0300 2003300.
Old 19 Oct 21, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Hi All,

I phoned them this morning and they were very helpful and I apologised for sounding like a donut as I dont really understand all of this!

As I left my previous employer and started at my new employer in the same month, apparently the tax allowance of 1257L has been applied twice! this means that there has been an underpayment so they need £600 back to clear this and will take a little bit each month until April 2022 to clear.

My question now is... Is it worth me just paying the 600.00 now and then my tax code will go back to 1257L?

Thanks for all the replies on this - it is really something I do not understand!

Old 19 Oct 21, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ILoveDaveLamb View Post
Emergency rate would be BR. They will have arrived at your one somehow and once you manage to get through on the phone, they are always incredibly helpful IME.

If you are due money back they will send a new code electronically to your payroll and you should get the overpaid tax refunded next month.

It's quite a chunk. I was thinking car lease too.

Good luck with it. :-)
ETA, if you have other smaller or casual employments where you have not been 'P45ed' or plan to carry on in some way, ask HMRC to apply all your personal allowance to your main employment, assuming you will be earning over the taxable allowance.

They will happily split personal allowance between employments where this helps an individual out too.
Thanks - have spoken to them now - it kinda makes sense now.

I have only ever had one job - I think the issue is because I was 'employed' by both companies for the same month if that makes sense - first one until 18th July and the new one from 19th July