Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Oct 21, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Dolphin9511
Very Serious Dibber

I took my daughter in 2015 when she was 6, she loved it, but really couldn't cope with the heat and the jetlag, but on the flight she was great, I wrapped up lots of little presents for her (cheap stuff like pens and colouring books) and she got a new present every hour, she loved it and kept her busy.

She has spoken about that holiday many times since then and we were supposed to go back in 2020 to celebrate the end of primary school but that obviously never happened but are now planning it bigger and better for 2023 instead
Dolphin9511 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

I might beat you, as I am fantasy planning ahead for 2026 haha! I want to take our son when he is 6 as he should then be over the height limit for most rides. As much as I'd love to go back sooner, it's so expensive I really want to make his first trip worth it.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
letmebackpotus
a Friend of the DIBB

In 2018 (our last trip), we took our 18 month old daughter.

I fully get a lot will say ‘what a waste of time’, ‘they won’t remember it’ etc - but the memories we made, and the photos/videos we have of her meeting the characters at that age are amazing. We had a blast. We did three weeks with appropriate rest days in between (often at water parks as she loved paddling around in the baby sections at Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach). I think as long as you’re mindful to ensure rests (which you clearly sound like you are!) you’ll be absolutely fine with a four year old!

Our daughter will be, incredibly, 5 when we go next August (flying on her birthday). I personally feel 4/5/6 are sort of ‘prime’ Disney age. The magic is all still real, the characters are still huge to them and they’re tall enough for most attractions bar like, Space Mountain etc.
letmebackpotus is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Just go with the flow! Plan things but don't expect to do all of them because you don't know how the day will go in terms of tiredness etc.
I took little presents on the plane, a new one every hour and that kept her busy (she had turned 4 a week or so before we flew).
We took a buggy and it was a godsend, she was in and out when she needed it, it could recline if she needed a sleep and it carried our bags for us too!
We stayed offsite on international drive, and did a mixture of taxis and buses to Disney and it was fine, just go along with what your budget will allow.

It will be wonderful, there's magic at every age!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

We have just started planning for October 2025 for our brand new granddaughter's first trip. Molly Georgina was born a few days ago and will be just 4 when we plan to go

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nicohna View Post
If anyone will understand planning this far ahead it will be everyone here!

I've loved this forum since joining in 2013 - went to Florida in 2014, 2018 with my now husband and planning 2025 for (can't believe I'm saying this) our son's 4th birthday!

I'm really looking forward to planning and re-planning this holiday multiple times over the next few years but I want to know everyone's top tips for travelling to Florida with children. What are some things you've learnt over the years and what would you change in hindsight etc?

I would love to go for three weeks to do Disney, Universal, Seaworld, Busch Gardens, etc. My husband loved it more than I expected in 2018 so the extra week would allow us to do much more whilst having downtime with a kid. This will be the summer before our son starts school too and then if he enjoys it, maybe go for 2027 or 2029 (depending on costs).

I'm hoping DDP returns and stays as I probably wouldn't stay onsite without it. Thinking 5-7 days onsite at Disney, move onto one of Universal's budget resorts (with one night at a deluxe for the express passes). Might just stay at the Universal resort for the remaining time if it's reasonable enough.

Anyway, I'm rambling because I've no one else to get excited with yet lol but please fill this thread with anything and everything you recommend!
Mine was original a 5 year countdown but was increased by 2 years when my son was born in 2019. Have fun planning and hopefully the DDP will return after the 50 anniversary ends.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

Just one extra thought - we didn’t do universal with my 4 yo, he’s average height for his age and was 102cm. Just enough for soarin and test track, but not enough for a lot of the rides he would have wanted to do at universal such as minions - they have a lot set at 106cm. So if it going to be the only trip for a long time and you want to cover universal it might be worth holding on another year
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
nicohna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Concerned View Post
My advice is to wait until the child is at least 7 or 8. Four is very young to be able to enjoy the experience properly - once he is a few years older he will remember it forever.
I'm happy enough that he won't remember a lot at 4yo. I would hope by the time that he's 8 we would be able to go again!

Originally Posted by Dolphin9511 View Post
I took my daughter in 2015 when she was 6, she loved it, but really couldn't cope with the heat and the jetlag, but on the flight she was great, I wrapped up lots of little presents for her (cheap stuff like pens and colouring books) and she got a new present every hour, she loved it and kept her busy.

She has spoken about that holiday many times since then and we were supposed to go back in 2020 to celebrate the end of primary school but that obviously never happened but are now planning it bigger and better for 2023 instead
I love the idea of wrapping things for them - I'll definitely remember this!

What time of the year did you go?

We've been robbed of so much these past few years - I hope 2023 is everything you want and more!

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
I might beat you, as I am fantasy planning ahead for 2026 haha! I want to take our son when he is 6 as he should then be over the height limit for most rides. As much as I'd love to go back sooner, it's so expensive I really want to make his first trip worth it.
I'm going to be keeping an eye on his centiles over the next year or so. I'm taller than average for a woman and his dad is 6"4 so I'm really hoping he's a big kid. Even if we can't get on much with him at 4, I would love to go again when he's 8.

Originally Posted by letmebackpotus View Post
In 2018 (our last trip), we took our 18 month old daughter.

I fully get a lot will say ‘what a waste of time’, ‘they won’t remember it’ etc - but the memories we made, and the photos/videos we have of her meeting the characters at that age are amazing. We had a blast. We did three weeks with appropriate rest days in between (often at water parks as she loved paddling around in the baby sections at Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach). I think as long as you’re mindful to ensure rests (which you clearly sound like you are!) you’ll be absolutely fine with a four year old!

Our daughter will be, incredibly, 5 when we go next August (flying on her birthday). I personally feel 4/5/6 are sort of ‘prime’ Disney age. The magic is all still real, the characters are still huge to them and they’re tall enough for most attractions bar like, Space Mountain etc.
That sounds like an incredible holiday! I absolutely wouldn't be able to talk my husband into going when he's 18mo but you're absolutely right about the magic for them when they're wee.

Originally Posted by MillyMoo View Post
Just go with the flow! Plan things but don't expect to do all of them because you don't know how the day will go in terms of tiredness etc.
I took little presents on the plane, a new one every hour and that kept her busy (she had turned 4 a week or so before we flew).
We took a buggy and it was a godsend, she was in and out when she needed it, it could recline if she needed a sleep and it carried our bags for us too!
We stayed offsite on international drive, and did a mixture of taxis and buses to Disney and it was fine, just go along with what your budget will allow.

It will be wonderful, there's magic at every age!
I always have these amazing itineraries (if I do say so myself) and always deviate from them because we as adults end up getting tired or jetlag kicks in when we don't expect.

I wasn't sure whether to take a buggy with us or buy a cheapy at the likes of walmart. Were you able to use taxis okay without a carseat?

Originally Posted by marlouwrig View Post
We have just started planning for October 2025 for our brand new granddaughter's first trip. Molly Georgina was born a few days ago and will be just 4 when we plan to go
Oh my goodness, congratulations to you and your family! What a stunning name as well!

Originally Posted by themeparksandy View Post
Mine was original a 5 year countdown but was increased by 2 years when my son was born in 2019. Have fun planning and hopefully the DDP will return after the 50 anniversary ends.
I was actually planning a late 2020 trip but that wouldn't have happened anyway

Originally Posted by mrsmickey View Post
Just one extra thought - we didn’t do universal with my 4 yo, he’s average height for his age and was 102cm. Just enough for soarin and test track, but not enough for a lot of the rides he would have wanted to do at universal such as minions - they have a lot set at 106cm. So if it going to be the only trip for a long time and you want to cover universal it might be worth holding on another year
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on his centiles but I didn't actually realise Universal's height restrictions were so high! I might have to rethink husband will definitely not be happy if he doesn't get to ride Hulk of Velocicoaster lol!
Old 21 Oct 21, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I've said this one on multiple posts but don't put too much pressure on yourself to have the perfect holiday! DS at that age was perfectly happy to spend 3 weeks in the hotel pool! Don't get me wrong he was ok at the parks once there but in all honesty he would have been just as happy being "Jackie Custard" for 3 weeks! Take a buggy/stroller, the humidity is a killer & they just "collapse", tied to this get yourself a cooling fan/spray that either they can use themselves or attach to buggy.
Personally I wouldn't attempt/try to do all of the parks- pick your "battles" for instance Islands of Adventure- how many rides/attractions can a 4y/o do? Then you have to factor in the "dark" rides, wouldn't be the first time a kid meltsdown walking in to POTC!
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
nicohna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
I've said this one on multiple posts but don't put too much pressure on yourself to have the perfect holiday! DS at that age was perfectly happy to spend 3 weeks in the hotel pool! Don't get me wrong he was ok at the parks once there but in all honesty he would have been just as happy being "Jackie Custard" for 3 weeks! Take a buggy/stroller, the humidity is a killer & they just "collapse", tied to this get yourself a cooling fan/spray that either they can use themselves or attach to buggy.
Personally I wouldn't attempt/try to do all of the parks- pick your "battles" for instance Islands of Adventure- how many rides/attractions can a 4y/o do? Then you have to factor in the "dark" rides, wouldn't be the first time a kid meltsdown walking in to POTC!
SD
I think that's why I would like to do 3 weeks - I would feel less pressure to do lots and it would give us time for pool days and days mooching around Springs etc.

Having a look a the centile chart, if he continues along the centile he's on at the moment he would be 106cm which is just shy of a lot of the rides in Universal Resort. It'll not be the worst thing in the world.

I remember a kid having a meltdown on ET the first time I was there