Jammy31's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 24
Guidebook Reviews: 4
Question Photo/Video Storage

Hello all,

I have a LOT of photos and videos from trips, family gatherings, days out etc that I want to keep stored on a portable hard drive. (Some few GBs worth!)

I have gone through at least 3 or 4 now, that inevitably begin making a scratching noise when plugged into my PC for transfer. I am under the understanding that this noise is a BAD noise to hear with a portable hard drive?

I have done some research, and have been told that an SSD might be better for storing?

I'm aware that cloud based would likely be better, but I have also had some unfortunate dealings with cloud based services too (I've lost a lot of work!).

However, I would be open to looking into these again if there are any suggestions for great services (Preferably free, but am willing to pay if it warrants it)

Can those with a more technical mind be able to help and advise?

Jammy31 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I use both. Hard drives will inevitably fail so I don’t trust them as the only backup.

I also use google photos which used to be free but now has a small charge.

And I pay for Crashplan which us expensive but I have it for peace of mind. That backs up everything on my hard drive.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I don’t like cloud storage i much prefer hdd I have a 8 tb drive that I use for all my pictures I then store it away. I all so back up on a usb drive and dvds I know the dvd not needed but I like to be safe. I been doing this for over 10 years. I all so store my short videos I make on the hdd this is a personal perfrence
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I think you get 15gb free with google photos and then you have to pay. I pay £20/year

What I like about it is it is automatic. All my phone photos are instantly backed up. And you can set up a folder on your pc to back up automatically as well.

Edited at 11:24 AM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

Worth noting that people who pay for Amazon prime get unlimited photo cloud storage.

Personally I have an internal 3tb drive for video, backed up on to two external 2tb drives. At some point I'd like to back everything up again and store in another location but haven't gotten around to that.

Mechanical drives click under normal operation but that click should be barely audible. There'll be footage online of drives that are mechanically failing.
It's important not to drop mechanical drives as they're fragile when faced with high impact.

There's a lot of discussion online about SSD and long term storage. There primarily used for there high speed data transfer. Perfect for operating systems or gaming.
kaytronika is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by kaytronika View Post
Worth noting that people who pay for Amazon prime get unlimited photo cloud storage.

Personally I have an internal 3tb drive for video, backed up on to two external 2tb drives. At some point I'd like to back everything up again and store in another location but haven't gotten around to that.

Mechanical drives click under normal operation but that click should be barely audible. There'll be footage online of drives that are mechanically failing.
It's important not to drop mechanical drives as they're fragile when faced with high impact.

There's a lot of discussion online about SSD and long term storage. There primarily used for there high speed data transfer. Perfect for operating systems or gaming.
This is really funny not your comment but you got me thinking I got prime had it for around 2 years went on my account and there was over 200 pictures
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
bosshogg
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Bit of everything is best.

HDD's - copy to SSD's asap. They are cheap enough to replace every couple years too.

Cloud storage. Tried most. Google annoyingly works best. I use the 2TB option, £7.99 a month. ( I'm at about 750Gb which precludes me from most cheaper options )

I also have everything on Amazon S3 Deep Glacial Storage. Archive only , cost sub £1 a month once it's uploaded but has severe limits on access. Think it's twice a year by request.
bosshogg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List