Notices

Old 16 Aug 20, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Switzerland Summer 2020 - Day 14 - Cabane Brunet and Mauvoisin Dam

Today was our last full day! Despite our best efforts we weren't very quick getting up and ready! J and the kids prepared a picnic after having breakfast. There picnic was a bit of a clear the fridge out type!

We managed to leave the chalet at about 10ish - our destination was again they other side of the valley.

The drive up was the same as a couple of days ago. This time though it was a lot busier and we were sure we would find somewhere to park - but we did (perhaps a little illegally but out of the way of blocking anyone in ! )

It was another glorious day. Though we did remember the sunscreen after last week's disaster!

The aim was to walk to a suspension bridge.

The start of the walk was along s gravel road and then went on to a narrow path. There were a few ups and downs but in the main it was pretty doable.

There were lots of available walks but we were keeping it simple as our legs were fairly tied by now!

As usual the views were spectacular!

After about 50 minutes we reached our destination - a suspension bridge!

I can't say I am a big fan - especially when the other three members of the family think it would be funny to jump up and down on it. Reminder they have goat genes and I don't!

Though there were great views!

On the other side we sat down and had some snacks and a drink of water.

June discovered that she liked grapes!

And O liked the view!

And just because- another photo of June!

Though June was like me and not do keen on having to go back on the bridge. I think walking on it was strange for her.

We walked back the way we came and found somewhere to have a picnic - sandwiches, crisps, tomatoes and biscuits!

Though June kept trying to Nick our food. J tired her to his rucksack but that didn't stop her moving about!

We then decided to carry on to the valley to the dam at Mauvoisin.

O managed to spot two marmots frolicking in the grass. Not easy to get a photo of them!

We easily parked at Mauvoisin and began the walk up to the dam.

After about 30 minutes we arrived at the underground walkway. J had read about this and was thrilled that it was open (and free! )

It started as a simple tunnel...

And then started going uphill. There were lots of explanatory posters about the construction of the dam in the 1950s

And as we tracked a corner thinking we were almost there, there was an even longer uphill section. To say my legs were exhausted by the top was an understatement!

But we made it!

Watched over by a mountain goat!

But we weren't quite there! There was another 5 minute walk to get into the actual dam.

The extra walk was worth it for the views of the lake and the valley below.

It really was incredible! Well worth the effort!

Even June was impressed!

The walk down was a bit quicker.

It took about 40 minutes to drive back. We started our packing and then I drove J to Verbier so he could look at the e-bikes. I went back, got all the packing cubes into the bags and had a shower before we all went back to meet up with J and to have dinner!

We went to an Asian street food restaurant. I had a red Thai before curry.

F has a salmon salad

J had a Korean rice dish

And O had Pad Thai. It was all very delicious. The total cost including a beer was 102 CHF. So expensive but very nice!

We got back to the chalet and finished I the packing and tidying up. E decided to try to leave at about 6am so as to get home at a reasonable time!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 16 Aug 20 8:58 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Mobile

Lovely way to end your holiday on a high😁 you are braver than me, I wouldn't be able to put one foot in front of the other on that bridge. I've really enjoyed reading about your trip and seeing the photos of your lovely June. ❤️🇨🇭❤️🇨🇭❤️

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

What a brilliant last day. The views were, again, spectacular and the June photos are a highlight of the report 😀

The bridge looks incredibly scary and I would have been screaming if my family started jumping on it 😭 The underground tunnel looks scary too (maybe I’m just a wimp) but both were worth it for those views

Your meal out looked delicious, I do like a good meal out on the last night of a holiday. Thanks for writing your report, I’ve really enjoyed following your trip. Hope you had a safe journey home and good luck to O for his exam results. Big hugs to June 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Fabulous last day, you definitely made the most of your time. The views were spectacular. Not sure about the long tunnels you walked through though!
Ahh June, love the pictures of her!
Always good to go out for a last night holiday meal, the food looked delicious.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Wow that bridge would have scared me. But the views are amazing.
I’ve enjoyed your report. Thanks for writing
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Another set of amazing photos - those views are incredible. I think I would have cried if my family had jumped in the bridge while I was in it!

Glad you had a good meal out as well, the food looks good.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A great last day :spin once again brilliant scenery

Joan
Old 21 Aug 20, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Another amazing day - that bridge though 😬. What a bonus with following the tunnel trail - those views from the top of the dam are absolutely stunning!
What a fabulous holiday you’ve had, thank you so much for sharing. More than ever I now want to visit Switzerland and Italy! 🇨🇭 🇮🇹
Hope you had a safe journey home, and hope that O got the results he wanted after his dedication to his studies on holiday.
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Ending with even more spectacular views from the dam. Your street food looks delicious too. Thanks for taking the time to share your amazing holiday. I’ve loved catching up.