Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jun 21, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

Do we need to get a cat flap?

We have a 15 month old male black cat who is very happy being outdoors and wandering the streets close to home. He is not allowed out at night/ in the dark.

We have patio doors at the back, a side utility room door and a front door. He used to just be let out patio doors and get out of the garden over a small fence and now he loves to go out the front or side. He doesn’t seem to understand the concept of the front and back of the house being connected somehow or how to get to the front from the back and vice versa! The garden gate is closed most of the time for security.

He’s in and out during the day and it’s fine for now because it’s summer so we have doors open and we’ve been in quite a bit. Now we’re starting to go out for the day or to friends in the evening it’s more difficult to factor cat timings in so thinking of getting a cat flap. Would need one with a curfew so he can’t get out late.

Issues are that without a flap we can control him coming in with wet paws (he likes being out in the rain!) and also might have some control should he start to bring creatures in! But the flip side is that he has to stay outside and wait for us to come home if we’re out for a whole day. Also, now he’s weird about getting back in from the back garden I’m not sure how much he would use it and suspect we will only be able to install in patio door glass.

Anyway, sorry that was long, I guess I am looking for pros/ cons of cat flaps from wise cat owners. Also, is he maybe too old to get used to one now?
Lu Lu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasarah
VIP Dibber

floridasarah's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have 2 cats. Jasmine did not have use of the cat flap when we first had her so she still likes us to open the doors to let her out. She will use it as a last resort. Jess is in and out like a yo yo. We have to lock it at night during a certain time of year as Jess will come in every night with a mouse or a bird. We have a microchip cat flap so it only lets our cats in. Like you say its fine when we are in and have the door open, they love it but its a god send when we go on holiday as the neighbour only has to come in and put food in their bowls. They can come and go as they want no need to send them to a cattery.
floridasarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

We have a cat flap that works with their chip so no other cats can sneak in.

You can lock it so its in only or out only. We used to lock it to in only about 9pm so once in, they were in for the night but they worked out how to escape so now we don't bother.

Ours is in the side door (not sure you can do in glass).

Personally I wouldn't be without one now as they can come and go as they want.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I read this as flat cap.

Thought it was another Northern thread.

Old 20 Jun 21, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Mobile

We have a cat flap but live in a very quiet culdesac and our cats have lived here 17 years. Since being able to go out they’ve always been given access with a cat flap night and day. But only they can use it and we can see when they have been in and out.

If you want your cats in at night you will need litter trays always and will need to consider that, with people feeding the cat if you want nights away or holidays even.

We’ve been lucky to have neighbours feed ours if we’re away, as it’s just pop in and put food down and no worry about letting them in or out or litter tray to deal with.

If you don’t have a cat flap then perhaps look into a shelter outside where your cat could go into if you’re not at home if it can’t get into the house. Something dry, cosy and warm, especially if it’s cold or raining. But I know cats who have been given that often still won’t use it! So just bear that in mind.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky's Mum
Excited about Disney

We have 5 cats and have this pet door - surepetcare/en-gb/pe...t-door-connect

We used to have the Sureflap but once when we were in Florida a feral cat barged his way through that flap as it only has one lock. The Pet door has 2 and he hasn't been able to get in since!

This Pet door has an app so you can control from your phone or laptop in terms of being able to lock/open it . Mine aren't allowed out at night but it lets them in when it locks but not back out. You can lock it randomly - I lock them in when the Ocado van comes as they are quite curious!
Lucky's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Our cat flap is in the utility door. Our cat is in and out day and night. I just close the door into the utility to keep his wet paws in that room only. We do get a lot of “presents” and have now resorted to having a humane mouse trap permanently in the utility room - and we can let the mice out.
Old 20 Jun 21, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I read that as "Do I need to get a flat cap"!
Oooh interesting so clicked.

Long day!
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
lovestoplan
slightly serious Dibber

I say defo yes to the cat flap. You may get wet paws and the occasional "present" that is very true but there are more advantages that disadvantages. Imagine his little face on a cold wet and windy night and he is sat huddling outside waiting for you to come in 😭 With a cat flap he can be in, wiped his paws on your nice clean floor and can be snug as a bug on your white bed clothes waiting for you to come in and wait on him! We've had a cat flap for about 15 years and only 1 time did another cat decide to come in. I think they are very worth it for the flexibility and the convenience.
lovestoplan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

We have a cat flap from our kitchen(indoor) door into the utility then another from the utility to outside. All 3 of our cats use it(16, 2x10 months), our old cat has used it all her life. We’ve never had a problem with other cats coming in, although we do get the odd ‘gift’ from the kittens when we go into the utility(where their food is) in the mornings! Ours isn’t locked at night, they just come and go as they please. We’ve had cats for 25 years, always used cat flaps, never had problems. As long as your cat knows where it lives you’ll be fine.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List