Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 30 Jun 21, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
beaky2808
Very Serious Dibber

Honest reviews of AKL - worth getting a Savannah view room?

Looking for some honest advice please...we’re booked to stay at Caribbean Beach next May but I’ve had my heart set on Animal Kingdom Lodge for a long time and this trip is for my 30th and will probably be our last for a while, until our girls are older. They will be 3 and 10 months for this trip.

It’s coming up at around £3000 more to transfer to a Savannah view room 😱 but I almost don’t want to stay there without this extra experience as we’re unlikely to be able to afford to stay in a deluxe once we pay for both the girls. It’s around £1200 more for just a standard view room.

Hubby has said he’s read bad things about the bus transfers taking ages for AKL - do people have any experience of this?

Also any experience of the children’s activities at AKL, for our 3 year old? We’re just doing 14 days at Disney so want to spend some time chilling at the resort.

Thank you to anyone for any advice and experience!
beaky2808 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Bus transfer we found pretty good.

What I don’t like is the lack of walking ability from the resort to anywhere. We like to run and walk on holiday and you can’t do that from AK as it’s on a bus only.

For us, (DVC owners) we’d much rather stop on Crescent lake, Bay Lake Tower, Saratoga, Old Key West or Wildnerness Lodge for that reason.

The hotel itself is nice, with good food options. We also do not like though how it is very dark- yes good theming but if it’s overcast out it can feel a bit oppressive.

Many people love it though. I can see why.

I have only stayed in a non Savannah view and if I went back I would stay in a Savannah, but I’m paying with points and it only costs about £70 a night in dues, I’m not paying the sort of money you are talking about.
Old 30 Jun 21, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

The new rooms (and hallways) look a lot lighter YT. It was always on my "do not stay" list because of the darkness, but the refurb has moved it over to a maybe.

From everything I've seen, the upcharge to savannah isn't worth it in itself. The upcharge to club is usually only slightly more, you get guaranteed savannah views plus all the club perks. I would either book standard and request a partial view, or go straight to club level if the view was THAT important.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Is there any option to split the stay and do 4/5 nights at AKL? We stay there every few trips for a change but only for a few nights. Savannah view is really nice but the novelty does wear off after a couple of days.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

There are many many public places at AKL to view the animals from. I couldn’t begin to contemplate spending so much more.

Our kids were older when we stayed and loved the activities but I wonder how much your 3 year old would really get out of it - ours at that age just wanted to be in the play park 😐

ETA we have stayed at AKL three times, once Savannah because that’s all that was available but the other times not.
Old 30 Jun 21, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
There are many many public places at AKL to view the animals from. I couldn’t begin to contemplate spending so much more.

Our kids were older when we stayed and loved the activities but I wonder how much your 3 year old would really get out of it - ours at that age just wanted to be in the play park 😐

ETA we have stayed at AKL three times, once Savannah because that’s all that was available but the other times not.
3 year old would like Beach Club pool probably and the ability to walk to 2 parks with a 3 year old would be a boon. Or at Bay Lake or the new Contemporary rooms and walk over to MK. Even better a split stay at those two.

Edited at 10:41 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Boo2you
Trying for More Ears

Stayed in a savannah view room it was fantastic. Sitting watching the animals while having breakfast on the balcony was such a nice way to start the day. We didn’t book a Savannah view but luckily we where given one anyway.buses never bothered us took a couple of minutes longer but not a problem. Great hotel
Boo2you is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Stayed here on our last long Summer trip in 2019, although only by accident really.

Through booking everything late and procrastination, we found ourselves with two nights to fill between our 10 nights at the Beach Club and our cruise on the Dream.

We booked AKL to fill that gap. I'd always loved the hotel to visit. Victoria Falls is probably my favourite bar on property and Boma has always been loved by my family.

I was blown away on our stay - far more than I expected to be. The pool is amazing, and feels really lush and tropical. The animal sightings all over the resort are amazing, including from the balcony of our Savannah View room.

We popped down one night to Victoria Falls for a quick drink - it had to be done as a "resident" and got talking to some American guests at the bar. Our "quick drink" ended up in a 4-hour stay, only leaving when we had to - it was such great fun.

I can't wait to go back and stay there again.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 06:01 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We have stayed three times booking non-Savannah rooms and have been able to see the Savannah twice. Obviously it’s not guaranteed but it’s not unusual to get a partial Savannah view.

Personally I wouldn’t pay an extra £3000 for a view.

Have you looked at wilderness lodge ? We stayed there on our last trip and really loved it. It’s often a similar piece to AKL but it’s closer to Magic Kingdom.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
AKL is incredible. Your child would love it. Don't pay for the Savanna view. Just ask on check in if you don't get one, we have been given one both trips.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List