Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 10 Aug 21, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Scottishnellies UK cruise - Day 7, at sea / disembark at Liverpool

Woke at 7am with a very sore head and since the ship is STILL swaying I crawled my way around the wall to the loo. Then I had a look out the window had some water and back to bed. When I woke up again it was after 9 and kevin was gone. Got up and it looked really nice and calm outside.

Just as I was thinking how much I was gagging for a cuppa Kevin appeared back from breakfast with one for me. He’s a keeper

Started last nights trip report but it took forever as we are out at sea again and although the wifi package is fine for browsing the Internet, it’s not strong enough to upload the photos to the trip report. So it kept failing and I had to do everything twice.

Kevin made a start on packing one of the cases then he went to the kids room with the intention of doing the same there, but he was sent away with a flea in his ear! They are telling us they will do it themselves so fair enough.

Had a look through today’s planner. Every day you get a 4 page program and daily planner left in your room the night before. It’s worth bring a highlighter pen if you intend to plan in activities.

Kevin went up to the pool to put out a couple of towels. I hate having to do that but when everyone else is you’ve no choice really.

He wasn’t long back when he announced he could see Dolphins again. I nearly broke my neck trying to get out into the balcony in my goonie. Not only did I manage to see them for quite a while this time but I even managed to get a quick video of some of them. I was delighted!

youtube/shorts/rKcBKgtrokQ?feature=share

The sun was really shining now so once I’d showered we went up to our sun loungers by the pool. It was gorgeous, warm and sunny. Kieran got us a couple of ice creams with his wristband

Totally different to yesterday. So sunny and buzzing with activities. There was a salsa dance class going on.

youtube/shorts/SUrQW8QXreg?feature=share

Then they had bingo and ring tossing to win champagne

This was more like it. You could’ve been anywhere really as this was proper sunbathing weather. Fabulous!

We stayed until we had to go for our bowling at 12:30. We just managed to squeeze 1 full game into that half hr. it was good fun. At one point we had all had a strike bar kevin and he insisted it was because of the ship moving. He’s such a bad loser! And that was with all the barriers up, as the manager had explained this was mandatory when the ship was swaying so much.

in the end Hannah won and kevin was not happy!

Straight back into the sun. I was now glad we had only been able to book half an hr! The boys had got a ticket to return to the water slides at 2:30pm so at 1:30 they went for lunch. Hannah and I stayed out sunbathing. I’ve no idea what the boys had as they didn’t take photos. I ordered a cheeky pina colada. They are now so short of straws they bring every drink without one unless you specifically ask them to bring you one. The poor waiters have been getting some abuse for that. It annoys me too, but I sure as hell wouldn’t take it out on the poor waiting staff.

Hannah and I waited til 2:30 to go for lunch as the buffet closes at 3:30. I do love this view at lunch

I love soup at lunchtime but today’s was a bean soup which I’m normally fine with but it was bright pink which out me right off. So I ended up with an odd plate of Asian chicken with veg and potatoes. A wee bit of salmon pasta and a slice of the cheese I like.

Hannah had pizza and Caesar salad

then went back for a burger and more pizza. The most I think I’ve seen her eat

I had mini desserts of panna cotta, caramelised banana (which was so sickly sweet I couldn’t eat it) and coconut cake

back out to the warm and sunny pool for me. The boys were back from the water slides and Hannah went off with them to the arcade to spend what’s left of the fun passes which is about £130 I think.

Later, I went downstairs to reception to use the machines to register my credit card to pay the bills for both rooms. The billing system is crazy. When you look at it it shows your spend every day in every venue no matter what package you have, and it makes absolutely no sense. You can show billing for places you’ve never even been. Thankfully I was prewarned about this on the Facebook page from everyone that’s been before. You just ignore it all and go by the total right at the top. Even then you can see your total to pay but not the breakdown of it. It definitely needs work. I went to reception and asked for a breakdown of both rooms. We have £33.80 on the kids room for crepes and room service delivery, and nothing on ours so I assume they’ve still to add the £45 for last nights show.

I went to the machine beside the lifts and registered my credit card to both rooms. Then MSC will automatically deduct for both rooms at the end of our cruise. If anything is amiss I’d need to call when I get home.

Got ready and at the same time packed the other case so we just have last minute bits to go in.

Tonight is elegant night, and gala dinner in the restaurant, so the most dressed up night we have. Kevin and I were ready by 7pm so headed down to the champagne bar. It was quite busy, but we asked another couple if we could sit at the 2 seats at the opposite end of their table and they said yes. It turned out they were from Edinburgh and we chatted away, comparing our experiences. Both have just recently taken early retirement. They had been cruising many times with various companies and weren’t very impressed with MSC. They suggested we try Celebrity next time. They were absolutely lovely and really good company.

The kids joined us at 8 and I was really proud of them. They both looked amazing all dressed up and I felt a wee bit emotional. Maybe it was the champagne!

We finished our drinks, said goodbye to the lovely couple, and stopped by the photographer for some pictures before dinner.

Into dinner and we had a gorgeous view across the sea into the sunset. It was so beautiful.

The tables were dressed slightly fancier than previous nights

The food was amazing! The fillet steak in the surf n turf was quite small but The boys both said it was cooked just perfectly (both asked for medium) and kieran in particular couldn’t stop talking about it.

When the waiter came to take the plates and they both said how lovely it had been he asked if he could get them both another one. So they then had another fillet each but said to leave the lobster off. Kieran hadn’t liked the lobster so Kevin had eaten them both, so felt he’d definitely had enough lobster!

The desserts were also delicious although the after eight one was by far the best, meaning we ordered 2 more of course

Dinner done, the boys went off to find a table while Hannah and I finished our wine and met our tummies settle for a bit.

On our way to the Virtuosa lounge we passed the handbag shop with a 50% sale on. I hadn’t even been in any of the shops yet. They seem to open at odd times so have been open quite late at night (this was nearly 11pm now) and closed anytime we passed during the day.

I spotted a lovely wee handbag and couldn’t resist so I paid £36 for this. It’s gorgeous in the flesh. Lovely and soft and will perfectly match a wee pair of my favourite loafers.

We stopped at another photographer and had some more pics done then joined the boys. The band were on, it was busy with a great atmosphere and lots of dancing again tonight. Lovely seeing all the glam outfits. Hannah and I had a great time dress spotting.

At one point the boys went off to the arcade just to use up the very last of the fun pass. So there was Kieran in his Tux, shooting at things in the VR. All very James Bond!

Lots of cocktails were consumed and I had quite a few Baileys Alexander’s. They’re delicious. I’ve definitely gained some weight this week with all the sweet and creamy cocktails but I’ve so enjoyed them, and it will hopefully just come back off when I get back to normal this week.

Back to the room and some final packing of this evenings things before bed and alarms set for our very early start.

Alarm went off at 6:30 and I so wanted to stay where I was and not get up. Showers and ready, and since we were getting no answer from the kids room kevin went round to chap them up. We had the sea view this time and the kids had the city, so the other way round from when we boarded in Liverpool.

By 7:05 they were ready and we went up for breakfast

Kieran came back with a plate of cookies and pastries, then whipped a freezer bag out of his pocket ‘for the train later!’

back to the room for the last time, collected our cases and down to the lounge where we were directed back to go down to the deck 4 exit. Handed in our wristbands, moved onto security where they scanned each cruise card, had us remove our mask to check our picture, then disembarked. They gave us back the cruise cards which the kids were really happy to have as mementos.

Walked along the dock

Then up the VERY steep walkway off the dock. Thank god there’s a wee conveyor belt for the cases as there’s no way I could’ve pulled one up! As it was we were seriously out of puff when we reached the top.

At the top of that walkway we could see all the suitcases waiting to be collected by the passengers as they would disembark. As we left the area we asked where the taxi rank was and were directed to wait just to the right of the front gate. We waited about 10-15 minutes for a taxi and off to Lime St station.

Arrived at Lime St at 8:15. Our original train reservations were for 10:36 but we are lucky in that we can board any train with our staff passes so we got on the 8:36 to Preston and the kids were asleep almost immediately.

Had 10 minutes to change trains at Preston and Hannah and I have both got jelly legs. It’s fine we are on the train moving, but when standing still at the taxi rank and then on the station platform we both feel we are swaying. I’ve read that this can happen but hopefully it will pass as it’s not pleasant.

Changed at Preston to the Glasgow Central train, and here I am sitting finishing this trippie.

We have had a lovely family holiday together and it did feel like a proper holiday despite some niggles with MSC. I would definitely try cruising again but with a different cruise line and probably in the Mediterranean next time. The days we had the sun and calm seas showed what a difference that makes.

I loved dressing up for dinner every night and the champagne bar with the champagne cocktails. I also loved the professional photographer package. I don’t know what filter or editing magic they use but I’m all for it!

Kevin’s not sure he’s cruise converted but highlight was the champagne bar with a Violette Royale.

Kieran loved the water slides and the arcade

Hannah’s highlights were dressing up at night and the nice evening meals in the main dining room.

So it’s all over now. We should be back in Glasgow by lunchtime, train home and my dad will be picking us up from the station. Then I need to login for work to see what what visits I need to do tomorrow. Those COVID tests won’t do themselves!

If you’ve followed along, then thank you so much. It always makes writing them up easier and then I’m very grateful I did it when I look back on them later.

Edited at 11:23 AM.
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 21, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Another great trip report
Thanks for taking the time
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 21, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Amazing. Thank you so much for a great report! Safe journey home x
Old 10 Aug 21, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Glad you got some sunbathing and shopping done. You all looked amazing in your evening wear.

Good thinking of Kieran to fill the bag with snacks for the journey home 🤣 hope you and Hannah get rid of your sea legs soon.

Thanks for report - look forward to the sequel
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 21, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyNikki
slightly serious Dibber

I have loved reading along. So much so I have started re reading your old ones. Just finished 5th element again 🍾🥂

We do our P and O 3 night from Southampton in a few weeks so will let you know how it compares.

They have already impressed me as we booked an inside cabin. Paying 249 each. (Food and tips inc but not drinks) Since then they have given us £100 on board spend and have allocated us a balcony cabin. They have certainly started well. Xx
DisneyNikki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 21, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Really enjoyed reading along, I think you would absolutely love a cruise around the Med. Thanks for sharing your holiday 😊
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 21, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
scots minnie
Apprentice Imagineer

scots minnie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I’ve really enjoyed your report. Looks like you had a nice time and the photos are stunning! Thank you 😃
Old 10 Aug 21, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyNikki View Post
I have loved reading along. So much so I have started re reading your old ones. Just finished 5th element again 🍾🥂

We do our P and O 3 night from Southampton in a few weeks so will let you know how it compares.

They have already impressed me as we booked an inside cabin. Paying 249 each. (Food and tips inc but not drinks) Since then they have given us £100 on board spend and have allocated us a balcony cabin. They have certainly started well. Xx
Oh I would LOVE to know how you get on. Sounds good already and I’d be interested in a P&O one next 😁

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Aliloo
Getting Excited

Thanks for taking the time - I’ve found myself looking forward to when you upload each day! X
Aliloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 21, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Rob & Jan
Being a bit Goofy

Loved reading your daily reports and hearing about your experiences (good and bad) thank you for taking the time to write them.
Rob & Jan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List