Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Sep 21, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
kells
Trainee Dibber

Tampa is it worth the saving?

I was looking for our flights and car hire for next year and it is £300 cheaper per person direct to Tampa rather than mco, for a family of 4 that’s a fair bit to save but was just wondering if anyone has experience of Tampa, other than distance is there any other disadvantage from using Tampa, we plan on getting a villa around champions gate area.
Thanks in advance guys.
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Simon & Suzann
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kells View Post
I was looking for our flights and car hire for next year and it is £300 cheaper per person direct to Tampa rather than mco, for a family of 4 that’s a fair bit to save but was just wondering if anyone has experience of Tampa, other than distance is there any other disadvantage from using Tampa, we plan on getting a villa around champions gate area.
Thanks in advance guys.
£1200 saving then i wouldn't hesitate to go Tampa. It's not a great deal longer than MCO to drive really esp Champions Gate area.

You could do a few nights either side down the coast. Also Busch Gardens is close if you plan on doing those parks?
Simon & Suzann is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Hornet1976
Getting Excited

A no brainer imo for that saving, especially if you stay at Champions Gate - it's an easy drive there from Tampa.
Hornet1976 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I'd agree. If you're going to be hiring a car anyway, no downside to Tampa. Immigration shouldn't take as long as not as many international flights through, so may even work out much the same time wise.

Edited at 08:16 AM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Kasalic
Excited about Disney

If you are happy driving in USA then absolutely take it, I would do it if it were £50 cheaper per person to avoid the hell that is MCO!

The drive is easy, and as mentioned, not much longer than MCO.

Our trip through MCO in January 2019 was the worst, over two hours in the immigration hall, 30 minutes waiting for luggage, 45 minutes sorting out a car, and then over 2 hours driving to Poinciana.

Not the end of the world but we just wanted to get to the villa, order pizza and have a beer/wine!
June 2015 - 14 days - Silver Creek, Clermont
Sept 2016 - 14 days - Gulf Coast
January 2019 - 16 days - Kissimmee
August 2019 - 7 days - I Drive
Kasalic is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsEgg
Apprentice Imagineer

We've decided to go to Tampa due to the cost saving next year, I'm hoping it can't be as bad as the 2.5hr immigration queue at MCO in 2019 😅
MrsEgg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

We don’t drive over there, if we did, I would have no hesitation in booking Tampa. I would probably even book it as a first choice, even before the savings to be made.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

I would have no hesitation, and not necessarily because of finances. (generally use miles) but if massively more cost effective then yes I would fly to Tampa.

We often go into and out of different airports if we cannot find the flights times/days we want into MCO with Virgin miles. We will go to Miami or Atlanta and dive up/down so Tampa would be a doddle for us.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
An absolute no-brainer as stated above.

Frankly, given what immigration at MCO can be like, I'd probably pay a little bit more to fly into Tampa. We've always breezed through there.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
kells
Trainee Dibber

Thanks all, that was just what I wanted to hear! I’ll get booking.