Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Sep 21, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Brock
Excited about Disney

I work with batteries day in and day out. Would you mind telling me which vehicle can complete 300 miles + without a re-charge?
I am not aware of one.
Some EVs can only complete around 75 miles before re-charging.
Brock is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
DickyP
Proud to wear my Ears

The “green” part and looking after the next generation is indeed a point to uphold.

The problem is the rare earths in batteries are effecting developing countries already struggling.

For instance to gain a ton of lithium consumes 1900tonnes of water. The effect in a hot climate such as chile is that farmers are running short of water who then need to import water and therefore drives up food and water prices to this part of the world.

Cobalt being another high prize in battery production which is mainly sourced from Democratic republic of Congo which is know for using child labour so more social burdens borne by some of the worlds most vulnerable.

Driving an EV isn’t as saintly as the polished adverts would have us believe.
DickyP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
You need to get off the BMW bandwagon and look at alternative marques.
Too Late. It is being made in S.Africa as we speak!

Plus I traded in my 3yr old X3 and got the same price as I paid for it when it was 5 months old but with only 9 miles on the clock.

I do accept though I got a monster discount off it when I bought it as it was classed as 2nd hand.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I work with batteries day in and day out. Would you mind telling me which vehicle can complete 300 miles + without a re-charge?
I am not aware of one.
Some EVs can only complete around 75 miles before re-charging.
does the extended range ford mustang mache just about manage 300miles? not a cheap car for the masses though.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Have you a source for this\/
Working in the automotive manufacturing industry, this is not anything that I have heard.
im bound by confidentiality as you may well know being in the automotive industry but will provide links to 3 manufactures woes.

autocar/car-news/n...tery-fire-risk
other global manufactures are replacing batteries.
fleetnews/news/man...tery-fire-risk

Edited at 06:37 PM.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
MrPenguin
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
But surely its not just about the cost of running ice its about all the harmful toxins they emit into the air. We need a greener solution for future generations or we won't have any

I agree to some extent regarding all electric cars so I bought a hybrid which I think is a good halfway choice between the two

Another option is the hydrogen car so no need to rely on the national grid to charge it up
What hybrid did you go for? What’s the MPG like?
MrPenguin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
VIP Dibber

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MrPenguin View Post
What hybrid did you go for? What’s the MPG like?
I bought the new Toyota Carolla sports wagon. Decided on Toyota due to lots of development into hybrids for over 20 years starting with the prius

We live in a fairly flat area in the fylde coast so no hills. I can drive from one end of the coast to the other 20 plus miles and have got an average of 101mpg. If I drive less conservative it averages about 72mpg out of economy mode.
On the motorway it can range from 62mpg to 75mpg

If you have the Toyota battery service they add another year ont the battery warranty up to 15 years

15 Year Extended Warranty

Hybrid battery reassurance. When you complete your annual Toyota Hybrid Electric Service, your Toyota is eligible for a further year or 10,000 miles of Hybrid battery extended cover, up to a total of 15 years.

Edited at 09:35 PM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
For me it’s simple,

I had an electric Polaris ranger on test around the farm, it was fine did a whole day before it needed charging overnight.

The next day I needed to tow a trailer, I did the battery in less than an hour.

I have a pickup and tow trailers quite often, there is absolutely no way on gods earth a battery can replace a conventional engine when towing, I would need to have a small power plant on the trailer to make it down the farm drive😂
captain-codeye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

I did once check out the availability/cost of hiring an electric car in Orlando, out of curiosity more than anything else, and a Tesla Model 3 came in at around $100 a day with Turo.

I have driven a Model 3 for around 18 months and for a variety of reasons - minimal company car tax, no road fund licence or luxury VED, corporation tax breaks, very cheap fuel, fuelling up at home and not at a filling station, being great to drive and winning the traffic lights Grand Prix every time, Tesla’s technology, and of course the benefit to the environment (honest) - I wouldn’t change it for anything and won’t ever go back to petrol/diesel.

However in answer to the OP’s question about whether rental companies will adopt them then I’d say no time soon as they are still very expensive with big waiting lists for them and no fleet discounts, and charging infrastructure issues as people generally wouldn’t buy or hire one unless they have ready access to an overnight charger.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
Wonder if the car hire companies will start replenishing their low car stocks with electric cars.
Would be a good way to test drive for a few weeks
Alamo were showing EV's (Tesla S) for rental in Orlando back in July however this was only bookable direct with Alamo through the US website... Can't seem to get my VPN to work on the site at the moment to see if they still have it... Its not bookable if you are accessing from the UK.

When I checked a few months ago, there we around 40 Superchargers with many more locations due to come online shortly. Theres chargers at the main Disney car park (No where near enough) and many of the Disney hotels have them.

The CEO of Alamo said they are bringing ev's online at many of their main locations but charging is their main sticking point...

So they are coming. Just need to get those diesel guzzling BMW's banned from sale

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List