Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Oct 21, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile Data in USA

As prices are pretty high at the moment for car hire, we are considering only having a car to get to/from the airport (flying into Tampa rather than Orlando), then just taxi/uber/lyft when there (also avoids paying to keep a car onsite as well), what do people recommend for mobile data usage in Orlando for Uber etc?

We are on Tesco Mobile so using that isn't an option at an astronomical £5 per mb

We have spare unlocked phones we can use, so not sure whether we need to get a UK SIM that allows roaming or to get a US one?

Would appreciate any thoughts / advice from those who have done this already
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
VS075
Serious Dibber

I use my 3 sim however they've just made some changes that come into force around May 2022 I believe.

So if it's before then, you should be able to roam at no additional charge. If it's after, then roaming abroad is disappearing.

You would need to look into if this needs to be on a monthly 3 contract or not though.

If you tied into a 3 contract prior to 30th September 2021, you will have roaming included for the full duration of that contract even if that is past the 2022 date - Which is what I did.
My experience on US borders opening day: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1207820
VS075 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Another 3 user. With the roaming change, they're saying this was for monthly sims only and that PAYG sims won't be affected. They are still being advertised as having Go Roam included. So I would pick up one of those if that's still the case when the changes happen in May.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mouseaddict
I have Ears

I am with O2 and have an international bolt on (for free) but this can be added i think. It means I can use my phone as I do in the UK - so unlimited data etc and no hidden scary charges.
mouseaddict is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

In the past we’ve had contracts that covered US. Now that we don’t we plan to upgrade our contracts for a month and pay the extra. Did this with EE a few years ago and it cost £10.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

We’re on a sim only contract with EE where you can pick 1 Smart benefit as part of the plan.
We’ve picked Roam Abroad allowing us to use our minutes, texts & data (all unlimited) in the US; this will also allow us to use them in the EU when roaming charges for there come into effect next year.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

If you can unlock, and have a new smartphone have a look into e-sims as a dual sim option. There are now options to actually have a US native account, so US number, data plan etc. Meaning you get full 5G etc. This also means your Tesco Mobile number will continue to work.

If you can't, unlock and get a 3 sim etc, or a bolt on to allow overseas data.

Alternatievly, you can use 'offline' options, like pre-downloading Google Maps areas, or using one of the free offline sat nav options.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyleo
slightly serious Dibber

I’m with 3 and previously used their free roaming and all was great but this is ending so not sure yet. Waiting to see if they offer some sort of pay x price to use it kind of thing? Otherwise not sure what I’m going to do. I found the WiFi unreliable and it often doesn’t cover Uber pick up
Areas which you need to be able to check as sometimes car changes etc
Disneyleo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by Bal View Post
If you can unlock, and have a new smartphone have a look into e-sims as a dual sim option. There are now options to actually have a US native account, so US number, data plan etc. Meaning you get full 5G etc. This also means your Tesco Mobile number will continue to work.

If you can't, unlock and get a 3 sim etc, or a bolt on to allow overseas data.

Alternatievly, you can use 'offline' options, like pre-downloading Google Maps areas, or using one of the free offline sat nav options.
Thanks, it's only for using Uber (or equivalent) whilst there. I have a spare unlocked iPhone so could use any other SIM, just trying to see what the best options are out there.

toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Clovelly
New Poster (5)

In respect of 3 go roam, if you are a new pay monthly or pay as you go customer after 1st October 2021 the daily ‘unlocking charge’ becomes effective from 24th May 2022. This will be £5 per day to use the allowances you have in the us. Other option is to investigate purchasing a us pay as you go sim when you arrive.

Edited at 08:32 PM.
Clovelly is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List