Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Oct 21, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Getting your house valued

I really want to get our house valued. We have lived here over 17 years and built an extension and converted the garage, new kitchen and bathrooms etc So I don’t know if we have made money or lost it on the works done 😬
But…. We have no intention of moving so I feel really guilty that I will be wasting the valuators time.
I have looked online at the cost but I am sure this is just a guide because they wouldn’t know if we had a new kitchen, bathroom and gardens done.
Has anyone else had their house valued with no intention of moving?
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Most agents will value your house for a relatively small fee.

We had one valued and the cost was £100. We then had to have another done and we used the same agent - they did the second for free.

It is pretty low to get them out and have no plan of selling.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I had to get a number of properties done (for probate) with no intention of selling. I paid the agents for the valuations. I wouldn’t have got them out under false pretences
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I would definitely tell them 👍🏻 I didn’t know you could pay for it. That would definitely be the best option 😊
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

To be honest, their valuation is just a guide anyway. When we have sold houses, we get 3 valuations and the last time there was a 25% difference between the lowest and the highest. The time before that the agent asked us what we wanted to market it at. Valuation is simply supply and demand - will someone buy your house at the amount you wish to sell it for. Currently demand in many areas is high, but the market can change at any given time, so the valuation you got this month would not necessarily be the same next month.

Just have a look at Rightmove etc at sold house prices in your area and add a bit on if you think your property has more room due to extensions etc. You don’t get a huge premium for having a lovely kitchen/bathroom. If it was for sale, it might sell quicker, but many people want to make things their own taste anyway.
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DeepAK4
Helping Mickey

We are getting our home valued on Monday. They offered Free Valuation. So I booked it!
We are not planning on moving and just wanted an update on value.
Old 9 Oct 21, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by meboo View Post
To be honest, their valuation is just a guide anyway. When we have sold houses, we get 3 valuations and the last time there was a 25% difference between the lowest and the highest. The time before that the agent asked us what we wanted to market it at. Valuation is simply supply and demand - will someone buy your house at the amount you wish to sell it for. Currently demand in many areas is high, but the market can change at any given time, so the valuation you got this month would not necessarily be the same next month.

Just have a look at Rightmove etc at sold house prices in your area and add a bit on if you think your property has more room due to extensions etc. You don’t get a huge premium for having a lovely kitchen/bathroom. If it was for sale, it might sell quicker, but many people want to make things their own taste anyway.
The house opposite up had been completely "Hinched" and made open plan. I couldn't breathe looking at all those shades of grey running into each other. Anyway it sold quickly but some walls had to be put back in because it was actually too open and therefore a fire hazard. The estate agent did not tell them this when he valued it. To be honest I am aware we have an illegal door too but only one and I would change it back.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by meboo View Post

I didn’t realise their valuations could range so vastly. Probably better off sticking with the online price.
It’s impossible to compare our house to others because we are on a very small avenue consisting of 6 detached houses that are 20 years old, no one new has ever moved in since they were built apart from us 17 years ago.
There are 6 semi detached houses at the bottom if the avenue that are about 30 years old. All other properties in the area are either traditional terraced houses or old, large semi detached traditional houses which are high valued (for the north west)
Old 9 Oct 21, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
The house opposite up had been completely "Hinched" and made open plan. I couldn't breathe looking at all those shades of grey running into each other. Anyway it sold quickly but some walls had to be put back in because it was actually too open and therefore a fire hazard. The estate agent did not tell them this when he valued it. To be honest I am aware we have an illegal door too but only one and I would change it back.
What does ‘hinched’ mean?
Our extension is open plan but its all building regulated etc so nothing illegal 😂
Old 9 Oct 21, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
What does ‘hinched’ mean?
Our extension is open plan but its all building regulated etc so nothing illegal 😂
Every wall, every surface, every piece of furniture was silver or grey. It was all done by a builder so all RSJs in place but it breached fire regs. As does mine because we changed a solid door for one with glass panels to give more light in the hallway.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List