Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Oct 21, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
nicohna
Apprentice Imagineer

May 2025

If anyone will understand planning this far ahead it will be everyone here!

I've loved this forum since joining in 2013 - went to Florida in 2014, 2018 with my now husband and planning 2025 for (can't believe I'm saying this) our son's 4th birthday!

I'm really looking forward to planning and re-planning this holiday multiple times over the next few years but I want to know everyone's top tips for travelling to Florida with children. What are some things you've learnt over the years and what would you change in hindsight etc?

I would love to go for three weeks to do Disney, Universal, Seaworld, Busch Gardens, etc. My husband loved it more than I expected in 2018 so the extra week would allow us to do much more whilst having downtime with a kid. This will be the summer before our son starts school too and then if he enjoys it, maybe go for 2027 or 2029 (depending on costs).

I'm hoping DDP returns and stays as I probably wouldn't stay onsite without it. Thinking 5-7 days onsite at Disney, move onto one of Universal's budget resorts (with one night at a deluxe for the express passes). Might just stay at the Universal resort for the remaining time if it's reasonable enough.

Anyway, I'm rambling because I've no one else to get excited with yet lol but please fill this thread with anything and everything you recommend!
Old 14 Oct 21, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Enjoy your planning.

I’m afraid I can’t advise of any tips as we’re doing WDW next August with child for the first time! She’ll be 9. We did DLP last year which was a breeze with her. No issues at all, no moodiness or any upsets.
I’m hoping for the same next year, but obviously there’s the heat to consider. Me and the DW can handle it, not sure how child will.
I’m planning on making sure she understands our itinerary and how busy it will be, and the need to be patient.
😀
Old 14 Oct 21, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

We are looking at 23/24 and for many of us planning is part of the magic .. Was chatting to a work colleague this morning and we are the only ones that have been a few times . Talking about the rides and our experiences . Brings it all back.
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
nickand
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Maybe visit End April/May as cheaper for flights as not in school yet! Make the most of him not being in school as school holidays very expensive. I'm going August 21!
nickand is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

Congratulations on the new arrival I went for two weeks with our (then) 4 year old. A few thoughts:

The plane flight was torture with him asking every single minute wither we were nearly there, and in the intermittent 30 seconds how long there was left.

It was pretty tricky when landing, going through customs and getting to the villa we were in as he was sooo overtired. He then conked up and woke up at 4am.

It turns out some 4 year olds just don’t get time differences. Or, at least, they’re happy to stay up late and get up at 4am every day of the trip.

Don’t worry about things like strollers. I had planned to do 3 park days then a rest day rotation but we needed it more than he did.

Heat wasn’t a problem for him. We went in June which seemed to be a fairly decent time - not quite the peak of summer heat, outside main school holidays for US and U.K.

He loved character meals. We did Ohanas as he is a huge stitch fan, and we did Crystal Palace where he got taken round by piglet at the front of the parade. My son is busy planning next year and he’s really excited about possibly doing the minion breakfast at universal and space 220, both of which I expect a 4yo would love too.

One of my biggest tips is don’t put anything down as you, as an adult, don’t think it’s as good, and let them explore and wonder at their pace. I’m one of those who is always rushing to catch a fast pass or plan the day but it’s sometimes the small moments that mean the most at that age. His favourite ride of all was carousel of progress, go figure.

Have a wonderful time. Oh, and always have snacks to hand….
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Hi,

We took my DD when she was 4 (she's now 14...eeeekkkkk). It was magical age. I'd say maybe time onsite, couple nights universal then maybe a villa if someone will drive. The space and private pool with a 4 year old would be amazing.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
nicohna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bondy007 View Post
Enjoy your planning.

I’m afraid I can’t advise of any tips as we’re doing WDW next August with child for the first time! She’ll be 9. We did DLP last year which was a breeze with her. No issues at all, no moodiness or any upsets.
I’m hoping for the same next year, but obviously there’s the heat to consider. Me and the DW can handle it, not sure how child will.
I’m planning on making sure she understands our itinerary and how busy it will be, and the need to be patient.
😀
How was travelling to DLP? Did you have to take much to keep her occupied?

I think a 9 year old will understand being patient more than a 4 year old will lol!

Originally Posted by Tinks2014 View Post
We are looking at 23/24 and for many of us planning is part of the magic .. Was chatting to a work colleague this morning and we are the only ones that have been a few times . Talking about the rides and our experiences . Brings it all back.
Planning is therapy for me lol - hoping the Genie+ stuff won't take that away...

Originally Posted by nickand View Post
Maybe visit End April/May as cheaper for flights as not in school yet! Make the most of him not being in school as school holidays very expensive. I'm going August 21!
Our 2018 trip was at the end of April/the start of May and it's a fantastic time to go! He won't be 4 until the end of May but that won't matter!

Originally Posted by mrsmickey View Post
Congratulations on the new arrival I went for two weeks with our (then) 4 year old. A few thoughts:

The plane flight was torture with him asking every single minute wither we were nearly there, and in the intermittent 30 seconds how long there was left.

It was pretty tricky when landing, going through customs and getting to the villa we were in as he was sooo overtired. He then conked up and woke up at 4am.

It turns out some 4 year olds just don’t get time differences. Or, at least, they’re happy to stay up late and get up at 4am every day of the trip.

Don’t worry about things like strollers. I had planned to do 3 park days then a rest day rotation but we needed it more than he did.

Heat wasn’t a problem for him. We went in June which seemed to be a fairly decent time - not quite the peak of summer heat, outside main school holidays for US and U.K.

He loved character meals. We did Ohanas as he is a huge stitch fan, and we did Crystal Palace where he got taken round by piglet at the front of the parade. My son is busy planning next year and he’s really excited about possibly doing the minion breakfast at universal and space 220, both of which I expect a 4yo would love too.

One of my biggest tips is don’t put anything down as you, as an adult, don’t think it’s as good, and let them explore and wonder at their pace. I’m one of those who is always rushing to catch a fast pass or plan the day but it’s sometimes the small moments that mean the most at that age. His favourite ride of all was carousel of progress, go figure.

Have a wonderful time. Oh, and always have snacks to hand….
Definitely worried about the plane but will have a tablet for him by then and I'll be actively researching how to keep kids occupied on long haul flights

I'm not great with time differences myself lol so this could be hilarious!

I was thinking of not taking a buggy and then if he needed one we could pick up one cheap at a Walmart I'm sure.

Thank you for your other tips

Originally Posted by toots82 View Post
Hi,

We took my DD when she was 4 (she's now 14...eeeekkkkk). It was magical age. I'd say maybe time onsite, couple nights universal then maybe a villa if someone will drive. The space and private pool with a 4 year old would be amazing.
I was thinking about a villa but we'd probably only do that if some of our extended family came too. Can you even get villas that hold less than 8 lol?
Old 17 Oct 21, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by nicohna View Post
How was travelling to DLP? Did you have to take much to keep her occupied?

I think a 9 year old will understand being patient more than a 4 year old will lol!

Planning is therapy for me lol - hoping the Genie+ stuff won't take that away...

Our 2018 trip was at the end of April/the start of May and it's a fantastic time to go! He won't be 4 until the end of May but that won't matter!

Definitely worried about the plane but will have a tablet for him by then and I'll be actively researching how to keep kids occupied on long haul flights

I'm not great with time differences myself lol so this could be hilarious!

I was thinking of not taking a buggy and then if he needed one we could pick up one cheap at a Walmart I'm sure.

Thank you for your other tips

I was thinking about a villa but we'd probably only do that if some of our extended family came too. Can you even get villas that hold less than 8 lol?
I think you get 3 bed villas, there are only 4 of us and we get a 5 bed. Just worked out that way the first time and we loved the villa and the price is fab so we booked it again and have it booked twice for next year (it's Windwood Dream Villa, found Liz on here, you can have a look through some villas on the villa search tool).
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
nicohna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by toots82 View Post
I think you get 3 bed villas, there are only 4 of us and we get a 5 bed. Just worked out that way the first time and we loved the villa and the price is fab so we booked it again and have it booked twice for next year (it's Windwood Dream Villa, found Liz on here, you can have a look through some villas on the villa search tool).
Oh lovely! Thanks so much for the recommendation - off for a nosey now
Old 18 Oct 21, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by nicohna View Post
If anyone will understand planning this far ahead it will be everyone here!

I've loved this forum since joining in 2013 - went to Florida in 2014, 2018 with my now husband and planning 2025 for (can't believe I'm saying this) our son's 4th birthday!

I'm really looking forward to planning and re-planning this holiday multiple times over the next few years but I want to know everyone's top tips for travelling to Florida with children. What are some things you've learnt over the years and what would you change in hindsight etc?

I would love to go for three weeks to do Disney, Universal, Seaworld, Busch Gardens, etc. My husband loved it more than I expected in 2018 so the extra week would allow us to do much more whilst having downtime with a kid. This will be the summer before our son starts school too and then if he enjoys it, maybe go for 2027 or 2029 (depending on costs).

I'm hoping DDP returns and stays as I probably wouldn't stay onsite without it. Thinking 5-7 days onsite at Disney, move onto one of Universal's budget resorts (with one night at a deluxe for the express passes). Might just stay at the Universal resort for the remaining time if it's reasonable enough.

Anyway, I'm rambling because I've no one else to get excited with yet lol but please fill this thread with anything and everything you recommend!
My advice is to wait until the child is at least 7 or 8. Four is very young to be able to enjoy the experience properly - once he is a few years older he will remember it forever.
Concerned is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List