Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Sep 17, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
My name is Clare and when asked for my name in Starbucks in Naples I clearly said clare , when she gave me our coffees they were named Pat & Dan , my husband has a typical American name and they usual always understand it but not this time 😄
Lol! I just don't understand how you get Pat from Clare? at least you got your coffee!
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Dissuziq View Post
Being understood is a daily thing, I work for a usa company for IT and as part of the follow the sun helpdesk we have US calls at the end of our day and the beginning of there's I at first I didn't realise how different our languages were sometimes I end up laughing as something as asking for there cell number is a nightmare
I think you might need a medal
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by paw View Post
My DH hasn't been allowed to order since 1989 when in MK he tried to order 3 chocolate cookies, including pointing at them, and was given 3 coffees. Despite saying no and handing them back they were just replaced with more coffee - 4 times until my then 7 year old took over.

Last year I needed a washing line and pegs for hanging washing in the garage. My mind went blank for the American words and the clearly American born assistant hadn't a clue what I was asking for. A detailed description of what I was going to use them for resulted in Ahh, clothesline and clothespins!
Your poor husband obviously that is where I went wrong, I should have gotten my 10 year old to order
Old 4 Sep 17, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
laura
Imagineer

hi, for some reason in Starbucks in Florida they don't understand me when I'm giving my name 'Mary', I don't no how many times I have to repeat it, I end up giving up & just use sons name, Shaun, one day I gave hubbies name, Joe, when it came to collection they called 'Toe', took me a minute or so to realise it was our order, I'm from Glasgow & usually say names clearly, they do say we roll our r's though, mind you I do have the same problem when visiting relatives in England
Old 4 Sep 17, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by laura View Post
hi, for some reason in Starbucks in Florida they don't understand me when I'm giving my name 'Mary', I don't no how many times I have to repeat it, I end up giving up & just use sons name, Shaun, one day I gave hubbies name, Joe, when it came to collection they called 'Toe', took me a minute or so to realise it was our order, I'm from Glasgow & usually say names clearly, they do say we roll our r's though, mind you I do have the same problem when visiting relatives in England
This made me think of one of the girls I used to work with. We worked in the courts and she was on the phone to the prison trying to arrange for a prisoner to be brought down - she must have said "Karl" 15 times in her Glaswegian accent and gotten nowhere... so one of the other girls grabbed the phone and said "Karl", and they got it
Old 4 Sep 17, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

We had a problem ordering a tuna sandwich in IOA in 2015. It took is a good few attempts at saying "choona" in our best North West accents. It wasn't until I pointed to the one we wanted and the hostess said "oh, you want toona"

Don't think we've had any other problems whilst over there.

Deb
Old 4 Sep 17, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Darwen Bird
Imagineer

I never bother giving my actual name in Starbucks (even in the U.K.) as so many people struggle with 'Janice'. I either use my last name (which is used as a first name in the US) or just any old name I think should be easy for the server.
Darwen Bird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Honestly that is hilarious... Toe! Who would honestly call that out? Also how is Shaun easier to understand than Mary? Baffling
Old 4 Sep 17, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
cherub85
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We had problems in Florida in Starbucks with Louise, seems to be an unfamiliar name. We actually had more language issues in Toronto, did better in Montreal as I speak some French! The accent was an issue in Toronto though!
On a similar issue, when servers and cast members etc ask where we are from I never know how to answer - is it obvious we are English and they want to know what part of England or do they not know what country we are from?
cherub85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
This made me think of one of the girls I used to work with. We worked in the courts and she was on the phone to the prison trying to arrange for a prisoner to be brought down - she must have said "Karl" 15 times in her Glaswegian accent and gotten nowhere... so one of the other girls grabbed the phone and said "Karl", and they got it
lucky there was interpreter on hand! Lol!