Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Sep 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile Autism diagnosis in children

Hi everyone,

Going through a tough time at the moment with our 3.5 year old being referred for an Autism diagnosis, has anyone else been through this or have autistic children?

Xx

Ty.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

My son was referred at 2 and assessed at 3 - he wasn't given a diagnosis at the time although the team refused to say he wasn't autistic either! They said he didn't meet the criteria at this time.

Fast forward to 7 and school were convinced he was autistic and he was re referred. This time, aged 8, he was diagnosed with ASD. He is now 10 and also has an EHCP.

My son was diagnosed via camhs and had ADOS and we had an interview too. He was assessed differently age 3 as he was non verbal at the time. Members of the team sat behind a two way window that time and observed.

If you have any question lots of us have been through it x
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by jdndt View Post
My son was referred at 2 and assessed at 3 - he wasn't given a diagnosis at the time although the team refused to say he wasn't autistic either! They said he didn't meet the criteria at this time.

Fast forward to 7 and school were convinced he was autistic and he was re referred. This time, aged 8, he was diagnosed with ASD. He is now 10 and also has an EHCP.

My son was diagnosed via camhs and had ADOS and we had an interview too. He was assessed differently age 3 as he was non verbal at the time. Members of the team sat behind a two way window that time and observed.

If you have any question lots of us have been through it x
Thank you that’s brilliant. Glad to hear he got the diagnosis in the end.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

My son was diagnosed with autism in january. The nhs paediatrician refused to look for a diagnosis so we went private and he scored top of the scale on the ados autism test. Best thing we ever did
Old 30 Sep 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My daughter is now 12 but she was referred at a similar age to your child, in our area under fives are assessed by a multi disciplinary team at the CDC, she was diagnosed shortly before her 5th birthday, it is a slow process which with everything at the minute with Covid could be even longer.
The diagnosis has helped us access support and services over the years for our daughter that have benefitted her, she's, now at secondary school doing brilliantly, and is in the top sets in all her subjects. Academically she is very advanced for her age socially she is quite a bit behind kids of a similar age.
Be prepared for things to take a while, sending hugs and if you need to talk I'm available on here or PM me xx
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
My friend just paid £3000 for a private diagnosis for her 11 yr old. If they hadn’t paid it was another 2 yr wait.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
My daughter is now 12 but she was referred at a similar age to your child, in our area under fives are assessed by a multi disciplinary team at the CDC, she was diagnosed shortly before her 5th birthday, it is a slow process which with everything at the minute with Covid could be even longer.
The diagnosis has helped us access support and services over the years for our daughter that have benefitted her, she's, now at secondary school doing brilliantly, and is in the top sets in all her subjects. Academically she is very advanced for her age socially she is quite a bit behind kids of a similar age.
Be prepared for things to take a while, sending hugs and if you need to talk I'm available on here or PM me xx
Thank you. Our health visitor has said it’s a very long wait but we are happy to go private if it helps. She also said we have to find a private practitioner that is accepted by the NHS because not all are.
Old 30 Sep 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
My friend just paid £3000 for a private diagnosis for her 11 yr old. If they hadn’t paid it was another 2 yr wait.
About what I expected
Old 30 Sep 20, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

My son was diagnosed just after turning 3. This was within 10 minutes of being seen by the paediatrician.
We knew he was anyway, as I also believe the speech and language therapist did after a quick assessment of his speech delay.
Very quick and easy process for us tbh - sounds like things are a lot harder these days.
Also been through the assessment process with both of my other children. My daughter was assessed at 21 months (one of the youngest at that time at our CDC) but it was inconclusive. Turns out she was just mimicking her older brother’s behaviour.
Youngest went through the process aged 8-9, it was school who pushed for that one. I knew he wasn’t really, just had a few quirks. His was the longest wait, but it was only a few months.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’ve always thought he was. He has a lot
Of ‘traits’’ which is the wrong word but the only way I can explain it.