Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Nov 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
DavieBhoy
VIP Dibber

DavieBhoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Hi Lesley - have just checked with Dave incase he can help but unfortunately not. Hope you get it sorted x

Tracy

DavieBhoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mandevillepete View Post
Only certain solicitors are notary publics. You will have to make an appointment to see notary taking the document and your original passport. He/she will then notarise your document and affix their notary stamp/seal. Costs about £80.00. Very different here to USA where almost anyone can notarise a document
"Almost everyone" is a complete exaggeration. You don't have to be a lawyer but you do have to be registered as a notary. The special stamp isnt just handed out to anyone who wants one.

It is true that they are very common here and most large offices, and banks etc will have one on staff. I go to my local UPS office who provide it as one of their business services. All kinds of things need to be notarized here including my daughter's state scholarship application. It is about $10 here.

In the UK I found one local solicitor who was also a notary. It cost £80 almost 20 years ago!
Old 4 Nov 20, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Midges17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DavieBhoy View Post
Hi Lesley - have just checked with Dave incase he can help but unfortunately not. Hope you get it sorted x

Tracy
Cheers Trace! Think the answers have confused more than ever 😂
Old 4 Nov 20, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mandevillepete
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
"Almost everyone" is a complete exaggeration. You don't have to be a lawyer but you do have to be registered as a notary. The special stamp isnt just handed out to anyone who wants one.

It is true that they are very common here and most large offices, and banks etc will have one on staff. I go to my local UPS office who provide it as one of their business services. All kinds of things need to be notarized here including my daughter's state scholarship application. It is about $10 here.

In the UK I found one local solicitor who was also a notary. It cost £80 almost 20 years ago!
I’m not sure what you are referring to at the beginning of your post. I can’t see where I have referred to “almost everyone”. As I said if you are charged £5.00 you are more than likely swearing a document. If you are charged around £80 you will be having a document notarised. The process here is very different than that in the USA.
Old 4 Nov 20, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mandevillepete View Post
I’m not sure what you are referring to at the beginning of your post. I can’t see where I have referred to “almost everyone”. As I said if you are charged £5.00 you are more than likely swearing a document. If you are charged around £80 you will be having a document notarised. The process here is very different than that in the USA.
Sorry I interpreted your last sentence wrongly! It was a very long night last night!
Old 4 Nov 20, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

We googled and found a local notary when selling DVC (she had had 3 in as many months) I’m sure we paid £90 for half hour
Old 4 Nov 20, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

It is different, not every solicitor can do it. Infact mine was done by a retired solicitor that just did this.
Cost £75 but was 8 years ago and definitely different. They basically are checking you are who you say you are and you will need specific documentation.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
It just cost me nearly £600 to have 5 documents motorised for the sale of my villa. Finding a notary was a nightmare, the only one in my town that was still working was on holiday. Found another 15 miles away but because our Title company were late getting the documents to us, he retired!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 20, 03:43 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
It just cost me nearly £600 to have 5 documents motorised for the sale of my villa. Finding a notary was a nightmare, the only one in my town that was still working was on holiday. Found another 15 miles away but because our Title company were late getting the documents to us, he retired!
I thought the one we used in Watford was bad! It was for my daughter's private adoption through a Texas agency. The initial agency agreement had to be notarized. He took the agreement into his office and had a good read first. I was horrified as they are only supposed to be checking your identity and witnessing your signature. They usually ask what type of document it is because they have to keep a record in case they have to testify in court but he had no excuse to read it.

£600 is outrageous. There can't be any excuse for that.