Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Nov 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
MarionG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
My brother lived in Norwich for 40 years but still has a London accent
I doubt we will loose our accents somehow. Interestingly enough our son has lived in Leeds since 2011 and still has a London/Essex accent.
MarionG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Holidaylover19
VIP Dibber

Holidaylover19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
South London for me.
Holidaylover19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
LoopyLoo07
Very Serious Dibber

Geordie .. say the word ‘like’ a lot! lol
LoopyLoo07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by MarionG View Post
I doubt we will loose our accents somehow. Interestingly enough our son has lived in Leeds since 2011 and still has a London/Essex accent.
My BIL has lived in New Jersey for about 20 years and he has this weird Australian, Scottish, cockney, New Jersey accent. It’s fantastic.

When we visit we go to non tourist towns in NJ and PA and people will get giddy to talk to us. We have been followed around Walmart (which was annoying as we was having a spat), this one guy and I swear this is true said I had the most beautiful eyes and voice and could be film me talking to him. I was like say whhhaaaaaaaaat. I didn’t but spotted him trying to film me secretly as I was talking to the hubster. So he had a fantastic video of me unloading my trolley, talking poop and then in my most cockney accent telling him to cut it out and he almost pooped himself.

In the same Walmart (Lancaster, PA) I was asked by a lady if I knew her friend that lived in Peterborough and I was like no just the Queen and her eyes almost bugged out her head. I said I was joking and don’t know either. We laughed about that (I am a mean person)
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

I think I have a non-specific southern accent, if there is such a thing (sorry haven’t read whole thread). Originally from Reading where I lived for 14 years, I remember when we moved to Middlesex, people would comment on my ‘country’ accent. I lived in Middlesex for 20 years, and now live in Cambridgeshire, where I definitely noticed a difference in accents, which before I moved here had never been an area i’d considered would have its own regional accent.

Edited at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

I have an odd accent, Brought up in Dudley, now live in South Wales for over 30 years so A Welsh accent with a Black country twang. When I visit "home" I go straight back in to Black country without even realising it. make DH laugh
taffs travels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

Despite living in Hampshire for 33 years I still have a Belfast accent. It's much softer now than it was but it's still there. My children were all born here. DD sounds American, DS1 standard north Hampshire and his twin DS2 sounds like he lives in a stately home. Not sure how that happened.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Sally42
Imagineer

Good old Yorkshire accent for me! X
Sally42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlueAngel
Imagineer

I have a Warwickshire accent (if there really is one), but most of my family are from Scotland so I picked up different words and phrases with a Scottish accent so people used to think I was from somewhere more northern. Now being down in Dorset, not often, but I might say a word pronounced in a dorset way.

RIP Murphy 24.4.1999 - 4.5.2013
1995 - Tunisia, 2003 - Lanzarote & Gran Canaria, 2004 - Majorca, 2005 - Florida - ASMo. 2006 - Florida - Villa, 2007 - Salou, 2008 - Pop Century, 2009 - Kenya, 2010 - Eygpt, 2011 - Tenerife- 2012 Rhodes, Crete - 2013&2014, Florida - 2014&2015
TrueBlueAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Mine is just a northern accent but I do roll my Rs having grown up in north wales.