Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Nov 20, 02:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

The Skoda Superb drives like a much more expensive car. It's great on the motorways, the cabin space is huge, and I don't think you can get a bigger boot.
Old 22 Nov 20, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi for less money you could drive a new car. At £300 a month you would have a big choice especially as it’s a buyers market at present
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi for less money you could drive a new car. At £300 a month you would have a big choice especially as it’s a buyers market at present
I don’t like the mileage limitations on a lease and whilst I do see the advantage of not owning a depreciating asset I still struggle to see it as being the right option for me, for the business yes but not for me personally.

I also would not ever take credit (unless I had no option) on a depreciating asset it seems nuts to pay interest on something that is going down in value. On new cars on interest free often means an inflated price, I bought a new van last year it had 4 years interest free offered at £34k I paid £24k cash thought they did want me to take some interest payable credit for the kickback.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

I have a diesel VW Golf, it’s a great car. I get a minimum of 60 mpg on motorway runs and a decent mpg around town.
It’s a nice car to drive, zero car tax and has never let me down in the years I’ve had it.
For me, it’s best feature for motorway driving, is adaptive cruise control, which means on a motorway, the car pretty much drives itself, the car will automatically keep a set distance between you and the vehicle in front.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Thank you everyone Johns not on the dibb but I have sent him the link to this thread so he can read all of your replies xx
Old 22 Nov 20, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by stecee View Post
I have a diesel VW Golf, it’s a great car. I get a minimum of 60 mpg on motorway runs and a decent mpg around town.
It’s a nice car to drive, zero car tax and has never let me down in the years I’ve had it.
For me, it’s best feature for motorway driving, is adaptive cruise control, which means on a motorway, the car pretty much drives itself, the car will automatically keep a set distance between you and the vehicle in front.
The golfs are lovely cars, but you can get a lot more Seat or Skoda for your money, and get effectively the same vehicle
My diesel Leon ran on air. You can get a 3 year old beautiful top of the range one with low mileage for £10k
Old 22 Nov 20, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Have a look at a Nissa Pulsar. Go for the Tekna trim as this includes everything, leather upholstery, sat nav, climate control, 4 cameras, the list goes on. Should be able to pick up a two year old car for around 10k. I regular get high 60 mpg from my diesel and the best I've had is 81mpg.
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
EmmaBolan
Apprentice Imagineer

I have a renault captur and have found it brilliant for motorway driving! My previous job I could be driving an hour and a half each way - mainly motorway, most days and it was lovely to drive - great cruise control too! Mine's diesel so a little more upfront for fuel but found I got a lot of miles to the gallon
EmmaBolan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Abbysmum
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by stecee View Post
We have a diesel Golf estate and I love it, I'd never have a car without cruise control now.
Abbysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
If he's buying new and not going into central London (or the LEZ area of london) I'd agree that a diesel could be an option.

However at £12k and wanting space you are only going to get diesels that have done 60k+ miles and so they will start to be hit with large servicing and replacement bills within a year or two of their 20k+ miles

Also the gov is likely to keep up it's war on diesel cars so expect diesel fuel and car tax to continue to rise faster than regular unleaded

Not sure about that when it comes to replacement bills etc

I always have diesels often bought with far more then 60k miles and never had a issue and we typically do 20k a year and much of that is towing a heavy race car .

My ST Mondeo had done over 260k miles and many parts were still original , in the 2 years I owned it barely cost us anything .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List