Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 18 Aug 17, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

Mobile Running in Disney

Hello!

I'm just looking for running inspiration when out in Disney - we're staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge and nothing sets me up for the day quite like a steady run probs stick around the 5k distance for the sake of time.

Anybody have any recommendations for running routes around the AKL area?
Robyn89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

There are none around AKL. You'd be able to run between the two buildings but that's it.

Do you have a car? Lots of options available onsite but AKL isn't set up for it :-(
Old 18 Aug 17, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
johnandmaz
Imagineer

I'm with you. I went for a 5k run every morning on our last few trips and it does set you up for the day. Ready for that first phase of the daily DDP.

Luckily our last few trips were Boardwalk, OKW and Wilderness with some fabulous running routes. As posted though, and very oddly, can't find any for AKL.

Florida - 91, 93, 94, 95, 97, 01, 03, 05, 07 - twice, 09, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 24
johnandmaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
johnandmaz
Imagineer

Although I did just find a WDW article about fitness at AKL and it said there were numerous walking paths around the resort that people use for jogging. Not ideal I suppose.

There is a fitness centre with lots of running machine but appreciate, it's not the same,

Florida - 91, 93, 94, 95, 97, 01, 03, 05, 07 - twice, 09, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 24
johnandmaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I think it's because the secure area for the animals limits hugely where pedestrians can go. I definitely wouldn't describe AKL as having running paths. There is a sidewalk between Kidani and Jambo (half a mile or less, I'd guess). Some of my friends ran 13.1 miles at AKL and it was a choice of the treadmill, the path between the buildings (as above) or the car park.

You could quite easily do 5k at most WDW resorts due to the layout and set up but AKL is probably the worst one :-(

If you have a car, hop to CSR and run around the lake; All Stars you could run around the three resorts. Those are closest to AKL. But if you're doing that you'd likely be better just going to the Boardwalk as the running there is fab!
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
johnandmaz
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
But if you're doing that you'd likely be better just going to the Boardwalk as the running there is fab!
It is indeed. Pretty special. Around the lake, down to HS entrance, back up and around the lake to finish. Some wonderful background scenery.

Old 18 Aug 17, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Gyms and running should be banned on holiday
2016 Boardwalk Villas
2015 Pop Century
2014 Old Key West
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by johnandmaz View Post
It is indeed. Pretty special. Around the lake, down to HS entrance, back up and around the lake to finish. Some wonderful background scenery.
It's fabulous isn't it?

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
Gyms and running should be banned on holiday
Our last four trips to WDW have been precisely to run I think our US cousins call them "run cations"
Old 18 Aug 17, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
LawrenceFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry to jump in but what are the running routes at All star? I'll be running a half marathon 4 weeks after we return and having had 3 weeks off whilst we were away and how difficult I'm finding it starting back running now, I can't really afford to do nothing haha
Old 18 Aug 17, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LawrenceFamily View Post
Sorry to jump in but what are the running routes at All star? I'll be running a half marathon 4 weeks after we return and having had 3 weeks off whilst we were away and how difficult I'm finding it starting back running now, I can't really afford to do nothing haha
Hi - you basically need to keep looping around the three resorts - how far do you need to run... ?