Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jul 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I'm still in two minds about September..

I know everyone has a difference stance on this so please and everyones situation is different don't rip me to shreds!

I'm still in two minds about my September 2020 trip. I am currently still due to fly on September 17th with BA out of LGW. We booked our Disney hotel back in April 2019 on the free dining offer but we all know how thats gone now! We decided to accept Disney's offer of a 35% discount as we don't mind missing out on parades, character dining and fireworks (alongside other missing experiences). A few weeks ago we found out our hotel, Port Orleans Riverside, wouldn't be open for our stay and we are currently awaiting on being moved.

Now I know flights with Virgin are currently being cancelled for September and Norwegian and TUI have postponed all flights until the end of the year, but part of me still wants to go! I know everything is dependant upon the numbers in the US, US travel borders and the FCO travel ban but if all goes ahead then I think I would still like to be on that flight.

I know the cases in Florida are high currently (10,181 cases yesterday) but I am hoping that those will start to go down, the peak seems to last a month on average when looking at other countries, but with the US being so much larger I would say maybe 2 months for them so that could mean that cases will now start to fall. Things change so quickly with this virus and I know there may still be a high chance of us not going but a small part of me is still hopeful.

Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Next Trip: Canary Islands June, 2023
meegraine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Virgin are saying MCO isn't opening up until Oct 6th, if that's the case and you're flying into MCO then I assume your flight will be cancelled anyway
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Virgin are saying MCO isn't opening up until Oct 6th, if that's the case and you're flying into MCO then I assume your flight will be cancelled anyway
I've checked the MCO website, BA flights (according to MCO anyway) are commencing as of September 1st and Virgin flights will commence October 6th

Edited at 11:09 AM.
meegraine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
pawwavingpuppy
Imagineer

Mobile

Well we were due to go LGW to Tampa, 12/9- we were staying in a villa in Cape Coral.
But following the news stories and TV etc, we personally are not prepared to take the chance not for a fortnight's
holiday.
Basically we didn't like the amount of cases, and I don't think they're doing anything near enough to slow it down.
Our villa deposit was non refundable, but we sent a polite email, saying as things looked we couldn't even get to Florida etc. The agent has agreed to refund less an admin fee, which we thought was very honorable of her.

Well its your choice, but for us the 'odds' weren't good enough.
pawwavingpuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Calabay Parc
I have Ears

I'm with you we are due to fly September 10th and if the flights go ahead we will still go. The measures put in place at the parks seem reasonable and with some good common sense i.e hand washing etc we feel comfortable to still go. We are staying offsite in a private villa so will have some control whilst staying there. Although we could move to next year we do not really have any realistic options due to other commitments.
Fingers crossed the borders will reopen as I see this and the FCO advice as the biggest blocker.
Calabay Parc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
State27
Imagineer

There are only a few US airports accepting International flights and the only one in Fl is MIA .
State27 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Calabay Parc
I have Ears

Originally Posted by State27 View Post
There are only a few US airports accepting International flights and the only one in Fl is MIA .
Orlando Airport has now published dates for which international flights and airlines are operating from. BA is now stated recommencing 1st September 2020 subject to borders being open.
Calabay Parc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by meegraine View Post
I've checked the MCO website, BA flights (according to MCO anyway) are commencing as of September 1st and Virgin flights will commence October 6th

That's interesting.. I wonder if that's a Virgin decision then to delay start date
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Originally Posted by pawwavingpuppy View Post
Well we were due to go LGW to Tampa, 12/9- we were staying in a villa in Cape Coral.
But following the news stories and TV etc, we personally are not prepared to take the chance not for a fortnight's
holiday.
Basically we didn't like the amount of cases, and I don't think they're doing anything near enough to slow it down.
Our villa deposit was non refundable, but we sent a polite email, saying as things looked we couldn't even get to Florida etc. The agent has agreed to refund less an admin fee, which we thought was very honorable of her.

Well its your choice, but for us the 'odds' weren't good enough.
I can completely understand that, I know everyones situation and circumstances are different and people are going to look at the numbers in a negative way, just like we all look at the UK's figures in a negative way at the time.

I currently can't do anything with my trip and as I now work in a school this trip was meant to be our last hurrah before being tied down to the term dates!

Old 16 Jul 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Dragon1
Dancing with Tink'

Meegraine - same holiday as us, BA, POR but on 3rd Sept from Gatwick. Again accepted DP compo but our party do not want to go and are hoping for a flight cancellation. No idea when BA are near to making plans for Sept flights ?
Dragon1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List