Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Oct 20, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Adult Social Services & the elderly - looking for info

Hi,

I really don't know if there is anyone who can help me with this but I thought I'd give this forum a try.

I'm looking for some insight as to what involvement SS might have with an elderly person. I can't find much online.

The elderly person is my mother who has for sometime clearly have some health issues but despite my lest efforts and those of my siblings we've not managed to get her or her husband to take it seriously. I spoke to her GP who said if she has dementia then not much can be done, it's just a death sentence etc. He did arrange a brain scan for her which she said was fine which I cannot believe. She has obvious cognitive problems on her left side - messages not coming form the brain?

Anyway, on Monday she fell down twice requiring paramedics twice. On the first occasion she refused to go to hospital despite the paramedics advice who were very concerned for her. They however arrange for social services to attend who I'm told will be installing handrails etc. On the 2nd fall she has no choice but to go into hospital (after being on the floor for 7 hours & in desperate need of a pee!).

What I want to know is if social services are likely to do anything else & is it normal to call them in just to put in handrails?

There are clearly significant problems & in my view she cannot safely stay in her home but I simply cannot get her or her husband to see sense (I've been banging on about if for years now).

Anyway, any insider knowledge would be really helpful. I do have the SS contact info & I know the hospital are asking lots of probing questions (she's still in), so things may finally improve.

TIA
Old 28 Oct 20, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

Mobile

How awful for the GP to just say nothing can be done, of course things can be done if it is dementia, there are different types too. Obviously there’s no cure, but there are things that can be done. When my nan was diagnosed she had meds prescribed, further brain scans, an occupational therapist assigned and a social worker who helped out with arranging the above, as well as arranging rest bite and day centres.

The social worker should speak to you about things that can be done to assist your mum and yourself and they should help with referrals to different services.

It sounds tough for you, it’s not an easy situation to be in.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I've been in a similar position, you need to have a conversation with the social workers who visited the home and the hospital in house social worker. Find out first of all if the hospital think your Mum has capacity to make her own decisions regarding her discharge and future living arrangements. If there is any doubt about her capacity then the hospital social workers should liaise with the ones who have visited to discuss options both with her husband and hopefully you but I'm not sure how the next of kin rules will apply in this case.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
She will need to be assessed for mental capacity, if deemed she has capacity then all decisions for her health and wellbeing are hers to make.

Sounds as though the hospital are on the ball with their questioning?

My Mam had Alzheimer's it's awful 😭

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Social Services can get an amazing number of things done if you get assigned the right person to your case. They got loads of things installed for my mom in her house to help her get about more easily.
Be warned though they will try to make you responsible for her and you have to stick to your guns and tell them no, you can't look after your parents.
Hope your mom's mental difficulties can be properly diagnosed and more help will then be available
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Planty
Getting Excited

Sorry to hear of what you are currently going through, it's not easy accessing help but once you are in the system you can access all sorts!

I was in a similar situation. When my Mum was admitted to hospital they wouldn't send her home without a care package in place (lives alone, prone to falls etc). This is the point that a social worker gets involved with the support of NHS carers, this is time limited though.

With the Social Worker in place they can assess what needs are required at home including stair rails, equipment etc...they may even do a home visit and carry out an assessment.

They will do what they can to keep people at home.

Hope this helps
Planty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Fluffypenguin View Post
How awful for the GP to just say nothing can be done, of course things can be done if it is dementia, there are different types too. Obviously there’s no cure, but there are things that can be done. When my nan was diagnosed she had meds prescribed, further brain scans, an occupational therapist assigned and a social worker who helped out with arranging the above, as well as arranging rest bite and day centres.

The social worker should speak to you about things that can be done to assist your mum and yourself and they should help with referrals to different services.

It sounds tough for you, it’s not an easy situation to be in.

Thanks, unfortunately the scan was done a month or so before the lockdown so that has stalled things. I'm sure her GP should have referred her but I also know that she has not been following up on referrals. I know there must be some help out there. I'm not sure the social worker will speak to me as she has a husband. I'll try to gently push him to let me speak to her/ask her to call me.
Old 28 Oct 20, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
I've been in a similar position, you need to have a conversation with the social workers who visited the home and the hospital in house social worker. Find out first of all if the hospital think your Mum has capacity to make her own decisions regarding her discharge and future living arrangements. If there is any doubt about her capacity then the hospital social workers should liaise with the ones who have visited to discuss options both with her husband and hopefully you but I'm not sure how the next of kin rules will apply in this case.
Thanks In terms of mental capacity I think it fluctuates depending on the day. It's obvious she & her husband are neglecting her needs, so maybe SS can nudge them in the right direction in terms of living arrangements.
Old 28 Oct 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mary A View Post
She will need to be assessed for mental capacity, if deemed she has capacity then all decisions for her health and wellbeing are hers to make.

Sounds as though the hospital are on the ball with their questioning?

My Mam had Alzheimer's it's awful 😭
Thanks. I'm not sure if she has capacity & whether it is just dementia or also something else - she has issues moving limbs too.

I am hopeful the hospital have it in hand.

I sorry about your Mam, my gran had is, a horrible disease.
Old 28 Oct 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Social Services can get an amazing number of things done if you get assigned the right person to your case. They got loads of things installed for my mom in her house to help her get about more easily.
Be warned though they will try to make you responsible for her and you have to stick to your guns and tell them no, you can't look after your parents.
Hope your mom's mental difficulties can be properly diagnosed and more help will then be available
Thanks. Not really possible for me to do much, no space, full time work etc. Also, it would not be want she'd want. I've been trying for years to get her to move to a more appropriate home as I was worried choices would get taken away from her.

I really hope we can get some sort of diagnosis & then maybe she will get the help/treatment she so clearly needs.