Notices

Old 24 Oct 14, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
debidee
Dibbing with Tink

Eat, Park, Shop, Repeat - October 2014 Hints Tips And A New Countdown!

So for those that have followed our adventure - well done and thanks for sticking with it and I thought I would end by summing it all up and giving some of our highlights and top tips! It is rather long (I wrote most of this on an 8 hour flight home LOL) so grab a drink ;-) I've also tried to structure it into sections so if you don't want to read it all you can skip to the sections you fancy :-)

1) Travel
2) Shopping
3) Spa
4) Disney
5) Universal
6) Restaurants
7) Randoms!
8) Villa v Hotel
9) maximising your days
10) new countdown!

Ok let's go...

Travel

Premier Inn - for the first time we booked a parking / stay package including dinner. Overall experience was good. It actually wasn't a lot more than paying just for valet parking and it sure beats a 4am start when flying from Gatwick. Tip - just don't stay on floor 10... if you read that day you know why already! If you didn't then only 2 of the 4 lifts go to that floor!

DreamLiner - it was our 2nd holiday flying on this and compared to our first time (read that report to get the full details we had horrid delays on the way it and way back... still fighting a claim on that one! ) we had a good experience. The food was better than most airlines and the plane claims to cut the jet lag / has mood lighting and less noise... not 100% on that but overall thumbs up!

Palm lounge - handy you get free lounge access when flying premium so slightly more comfy that the general waiting area!

Sandford / Tampa - We will always try and avoid Orlando International - it just takes forever to get through customs, the monorail and general busyness put us off so Sandford is great. Even though it is further out with the speed of arrivals I still think it wins!
Next March we are flying into Tampa - it has worked out several hundred pounds each ticket cheaper! This is a massive saving for us and has contributed to meaning we get an extra trip from our Annual Passes! Tip - check out the BA sales and look at flying into Tampa for some savings! Also - bigger luggage allowances with BA ;-)

Shopping

Coupons - I would always recommend signing up to the stores mailing lists for those you know you want to visit. Be like the queen and ensure you have a birthday which coincides with the date you are away as you get extra birthday vouchers! (Plan your birthday for the first couple of days so you can print the voucher before you leave if you aren't taking a phone to show the voucher!) Tip - set up a 2nd email account for this so it doesn't clog up your usual in-box, you can always then delete afterwards as it tends to get depressing see all the offers when you are home! Make sure you put in a US address - your hotel / villa. This sign-up goes for restaurants as well as shops.

Bath and Body are sending out vouchers nearly daily and these can usually be used on top of discounts. Tip for BBW - they always give you a voucher with your purchase so buy something tiny 1st to take advantage of this! I always go for the 5 anti-bac hand-cleaners for $5

When to go - the stores change the offers depending on when you go. I would recommend avoiding weekends as I noticed discounts were not as good (also it's loads busier on weekends).
Specific examples - in Michael Kors during the week there was a 20% discount off all full priced clothes - this was not there at the weekend.
In watch station in the week it was offering 40% off all already discounted watches, at the weekend it only offered 20% discount!
In Bath and Body Works at the weekend it was 2 mason candles for $20 and in the week they were $5 each... I learnt the hard way on this one - in fairness I still thought I was getting a bargain LOL
It's something to consider if you are only going shopping once... clearly only going shopping once is crazy but if it's all your agenda allows go on a weekday ;-)))

DollarTree - was a 1st time for me this trip. I had come to hear about it on the Dibb and decided to do some investigation in the form of watching YouTube hauls! Well this made me slightly addicted at some of the lovely bargains to be had! I admit there is also a lot of tat as I discovered after visiting 5 different stores to find my favourite one!
I was really after make-up / journaling embellishments / stationary / villa essentials that I didn't want to pay big $$ for full sizes (toilet rolls, washing powder, water,snacks). They also have a fantastic range of Disney branded goods - toys, stationary, puzzles, autograph books... I'm sure if you have little people they would get TONS more for their $$ and save you some money as well!
I would recommend the store on the 535 just before Vineland road. This was the biggest one and had the most variety and re-stocked every few days. I do not personally recommend the general discount / $1 stores and found these to be just rubbish! It is however a close call on craft items between this and Wallmart as you will have seen from the individual trip report photos as I picked up lots of bargains here!

Lake Buena Vista outlet - I talked a lot about this in my daily reports both times this year. The smallest of the 3 outlets but has the best bargains in Aeropostale and is the only outlet with an Old Navy (I didn't actually get anything this trip from Old Navy but did in my April report).

For me the bargains here in Aeropostale are brilliant - I got so many lovely Bethany Mota items at prices cheaper than Primark! If you like this brand I would definitely recommend a quick visit here before the outlet store at International Drive or the standard Malls. On average everything here was at least 50% off. They also give you a return discount coupon for a few days later.

Premium - international drive - by far my favourite outlet and I spent hours in one particular store as I'm sure you all know!

Victoria Secret - this has the most amazing bargains on underwear, makeup and smellies. A few tips if visiting this store. The sizes are NOT the same as UK - I wear a completely different size to usual and I struggle in the UK to easily get the size I need if you know what I mean... you can always go up a back size to get extra cup sizes. PM me if you want specific help on this one! There are fitting rooms so invest the time in trying some on so you know what size to pick. Another tip - under each 'bin' in the store they have boxes of underwear - feel free to rummage or ask the store assistants to help you find matching sets...they exist you just need to be patient! Final tip - VS restock every other day!
Remember this outlet has Bath and Body Works, Yankee Candle and Aeropostale the outlet on Vineland road does not have these stores!

Premium - Vineland - A similar mall to International drive excluding what I mentioned above. I think since the expansions it's quite a difficult layout, also a section of it is across the main road! (Forever21, Ugg etc)

Florida Mall - This is your standard mall with no real designers shops, it often has sales in the stores but TBH I don't really spend a lot of time here anymore since the outlets are so good. I do however have 1 store I really like - The Limited. This is more for work clothes and I have picked up some good bargains here. They have different offers each day so I recommend you look 1st on-line to see the best day to go. It tends to alternate between BOGOF or buy 1 get 50% off 2nd etc.

Mall of Millenia - This is your upscale designer mall - great for browsing or spending a lot of money! They have huge comfy chairs dotted all around this mall! It has a huge Pottery Barn which has the most beautiful homeware items! We always make a trip here if only to visit the Cheesecake Factory... a must - but seriously don't pick a salad... if you think this will be small then you are in for some bad times... it's big enough to feed 6 - I made this mistake many years go when I wasn't hungry and thought I was playing it safe ;-)

JoAnn - A new discovery! Allow plenty of time if you love home accessories / stationary / crafting. Given the time of year we were here they had loads of Fall, Halloween and Christmas items. Everything had big sales on ranging from 40% on Christmas items to 70% on Fall and Halloween. The store is big and even does craft classes - maybe something to consider for rainy days or chilled out days if you like that kind of thing. It's worth signing up to emails - I didn't until afterwards and got discount vouchers, I also got these with my purchases so again consider a small buy initially to save even more $$$.

Walmart - Who doesn't love a US supermarket! ponchos / stationary / make-up where the main non-food items at good prices. Ponchos are on average $3 - you can get cheaper which we have done in the past but these seriously are rubbish and it's worth the extra couple of dollars especially given the intensity if it does rain! Also, these are handy on water rides if you don't want the full force or in cooler months! If you buy these in the parks you will pay around $10-$15!

Stationary - they have loads of craft tapes, stamps and stickers all starting at around 97cents some even cheaper! These were restocked several times over the 2 weeks. Here is my journal I've started to embellish - can you spot the hidden Mickeys!

Finally MakeUp - great for real techniques brushes which are a lot cheaper than here and Elf Makeup, I recommend the black packaging which is the studio line and I consider a dupe for Mac - this is $3 as opposed to the white packaging which is only $1. I had read some reviews before I went and didn't purchase any foundation - I think this is one item it's worth investing in so I will be sticking with my Mac!
The store I liked the best and was the main one I visited was on the 192 Kissimmee end past Medieval times.

Cracker Barrel - This is called a country store - it is a part craft / home nic-nak and part restaurant (old fashion breakfasts - didn't try lunch or dinner). The store was already stocking loads of Christmas items along with Halloween and Fall - you could pick up small items from 99c. It is again a bit of a jumble (but not in a messy way - if that makes sense!) so you need some time to ensure you don't miss things!

Spa

I always fit this in a couple of hours normally in an evening (they tend to be open until about 9pm) each trip and I already in the specific day talked about 4 I have visited. For me at the moment budget wise I will be sticking with Reflections based at the lake Buena vista spa and resort (next to the outlet). If your budget allows and you want a real treat then I recommend trying the Spa at Gaylords - this is the most luxurious spa I have ever visited but it is very expensive (probably double reflections).
Favourite treatments are massages - especially if you have achy legs after all that walking! And an Indian head massage (leave the oil in overnight for a lovely conditioning treatment!)

Disney

You probably know if you have followed my last report we became annual pass holders this year. It made a lot of sense for us as we planned to get 3 uses from them! Parking alone now is $17 at both parks so can add up very quickly ( remember to budget this if staying offsite!) it's free for passholders. In addition you get 10%-15% discount in stores, restaurants and cinema
FP+ - I still have mixed feelings about these - you need to plan a lot more, but providing you didn't necessarily want the top rides it was easy enough to do the day before.

The App is a must - all parks have wi-fi so you don't pay. You need to initially link your tickets and magic bands but this is easy to do. This allowed quick changes of times for existing FP (if available) or different rides, we often did this if we got to the ride and the queue time was within our limits to gain an extra FP. It was also handy for queue times and general park information.

Top 3 rides / attractions this visit:
Frozen - the sing along show was brilliant - I recommend FP as stand-by was often full. The show was very clever and a condensed version of the film with sing along sections. I hope this stays for a while!

7DMT - the first time we queued and rode this dare I say I was disappointed... the 2nd time I completely changed my mind! I still wouldn't queue for more than 30 mins but a great ride overall.

Character Drawing - still a hidden gem IMO and something we always fit in at least a couple of classes each time we visit Hollywood. If you can draw even a resemblance of a circle you can draw a character - trust me! And it is a lot of fun.

Universal

we also became passholders for Universal and will get at least 2 visits - still cheaper than 2 separate tickets. Parking is included along with 10-15% discounts.
We also downloaded and used the universal app - it was handy for queue time information. Remember universal charge for their equivalent of FassPass and we didn't pay additional for this. Tip - no matter what the signs say turn right in IOA for the fastest way to Harry Potter!

Top 3 rides this trip - Harry Potter takes a full house!
Gringotts - by far try best ride! It was frustrating as the ride had technical difficulties 2 out of 3 times we were there... but when it works WOW! I would recommend queuing at least once to experience the full thing, then if your party allows single rider to avoid huge queues!

Train - this was another great addition and takes you between the parks (you need valid tickets to ride this). Do it both ways to see both shows on-board!

Harry Potter and the forbidden journey - different from Gringotts and a bit darker / more intense but still a great ride... I don't recommend doing this twice in a row (even though single rider was often walk on) it made us both feel a little sicky as you are thrown around a lot!

Eating

We did eat rather a lot looking back! Here are a few favourites worth a try...a few general tips - sign up for all restaurants in advance to get discounts, also look out for the coupon books in the airport. Portions are HUGE - you can easily share a main or just do starter (like our size main course!) and dessert, just remember a minimum tip is normally considered between 12% and for the 1st time this tip we saw up-to 22% recommended (most receipts suggest 3 levels) - remember this when planning you are also expected to tip even if on the dining plans!

Breakfast - Perkins wins overall for a good start to the day! You can pretty much have everything you desire! A particular favourite are eggs benedict and their breakfast potatoes!

Breakfast - Golden Corral is a great buffet but I really recommend going just after opening when the food is just ready and the one at crossroads is the best IMO. Even the most fussy eater will find something here!

Comfort - Perkins - if you want good old comfort food again it has to be Perkins! Pot roast is a holiday must followed by a piece of their perfect pie!

Salad / Healthy Buffet - Sweet Tomatoes - over 250 items all freshly prepared including soups, potatoes, pasta, bakery and desserts. Sign-up in advance for BOGOF offers. There is one at crossroads and also one on international drive (before the outlet)

Special Meal - Magiannos - a first and not a last for us. Service was amazing, food was amazing, happy hour wine for $5 was amazing! If you like Italian you will love this place, any menu item can be adapted as it's all prepared fresh. They also do a lighter version of many of the meals!

Hidden Gem - Roccos Tacos and Tequila bar at Dr Phillips. This place was fantastic and does amazing Mexican. I would recommend going on a weekday unless you have booked and if you don't want it to be too loud go not too late... it has a lot of tequila!

Wine! - Coopers Hawk - another lovely restaurant with the additional benefit of 3 decent size wine samples per person! The raspberry wine is highly recommended it was delicious! Good food choices and big choice.

Others a selection of our favourite activities outside the park

Cinema - love going to the cinema on holiday! Great afternoon / evening activity - lots of cinemas at downtown, festival bay, universal city walk, pointe all around $10-$12 a ticket. You often get to see something months before it is released in the UK! The seats are loads bigger and comfy (like if you have a VIP section at your local cinema here!). My favourite though has to be fork and screen at downtown - a cinema and dining experience in one! It's fab and a really nice touch for watching a film! Tip - take a throw or cardigan they crank up the aircon so it gets cold!

CSI - this was a first this trip, located down I-drive you get given a crime scene and clues to solve the mystery! They have 3 scenes and I recommend you only do 1 first trip - you then get offered to come back anytime to play the final 2 for just short of $8! It's fun to escape the rain or if you just fancy something different (recommended for children 13 and above) for an hour or 2!

Character photos / drawings / ride photo and 3D pictures! Each year we try and capture a memory in this form! They take pride of place in our downstairs bathroom :-). They are all around the $15-$20 mark and are in addition to our standard holiday photos. They are lovely to look back on over the years! Tip - never pay for the frame in the park these can be in the same price range as the shoot itself! Head down to to the dollar store and pick one up for - you guessed it $1! I seriously think our 3D pictures look fab in these and just as good as the $18 we were offered at the time in the park!

Nails - if you get your nails done in the UK you will know how much this adds up... especially if like me you go every few weeks! You can get infills and UV colour for around $30. I find it a great last day activity before hitting the airport :-(
My favourite salon is at marker 10 called Elite Nails.

Villa v Resort

Unless we are staying at OKW ;-) then it's as villa everytime! We like to have some space to chill and our own pool and for us a cramped hotel isn't fun! It works out pretty much the same cost getting a 5 bed villa as a hotel and you get all the comforts of home - if you want a full kitchen / laundry etc etc.
Following on this theme I would always recommend build from scratch holidays instead of package so you have complete flexibility and save money and time (you don't have to go to a welcome meeting - why would you when you have everything you need from the Dibb! )

Maximising your time

We do have a plan of at least the parks we want to visit each day (based on busy day guides) and a list of must-do resturants. We have a pretty simple approach, the day is split into 3 segments morning, afternoon and evening. We never head to a park in the afternoon - it is 9 times out of 10 always in the morning and always for opening or just after. We don't like to queue and we don't like the mid-day sun! But splitting the day it means we don't burn out, we always have 1 segment to chill and it makes the holiday feel 10 times longer! In our earlier visits we always used to spend long long days in the park and be tired and exhausted! Now it actually feels chilled! We also break the parks down into manageable zones so you don't spend forever walking back and forward - this also helps with FP+ planning!

Checkout time - if budgets allow consider booking an additional night / later checkout at your villa, this means you don't have to worry about being out of the house at 10am and super handy if you have an evening flight. We have done this for next March to maximise the last day which means we can come back and shower / change before heading to the airport.
It will usually always be cheaper to do this before you arrive!

New countdown...

So that finally brings me to a new countdown, we are coming back to our favourite place in early March! This time we are staying at Terra Verde (same couples house but our regular villa was already booked) for the first time!

Thank you again to each and everyone of you that has posted - it means a lot to see your comments :-) it certainly helped me ensure I posted daily and I hope in return I gave you a few tips! I'd love to hear from those who have read and enjoyed - if you didn't enjoy simply move along as not everyone loves marmite ;-)
Until next time... Debs and Jez xxx

debidee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by debidee - 24 Oct 14 7:56 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridasun
Imagineer

Fantastic. I will definitely try dollar tree on our next visit and I can't believe I never realised the discounts are better mid week. No more weekend shops. I will be adding all your tips to my growing notebook. Can't wait to read your March report just before we head our on the 27th March. Shopping will feature heavily on our next trip as my girls will be 15 and 11. More than one visit to A & F or Hollister I suspect!
Floridasun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
debidee
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Floridasun View Post
Fantastic. I will definitely try dollar tree on our next visit and I can't believe I never realised the discounts are better mid week. No more weekend shops. I will be adding all your tips to my growing notebook. Can't wait to read your March report just before we head our on the 27th March. Shopping will feature heavily on our next trip as my girls will be 15 and 11. More than one visit to A & F or Hollister I suspect!
Thanks a lot - sounds like you will be a shopping expert as well at the end of your trip! Happy Planning! Debs xxx
debidee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post

I have really enjoyed your reports and have bookmarked this post to refer back to when it comes to planning the shopping days !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post

hi debs
can you tell me how much luggage allowance you get with thomsons premium please
Old 24 Oct 14, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
debidee
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by roadtrippersx2 View Post
hi debs
can you tell me how much luggage allowance you get with thomsons premium please
Hiya, you get 23kg with premium and then you can pay £10 to up it by 5kg - we only pay for it coming back! But remember you can only take 23kg per case so you need to take an extra one... hope that makes sense! Debs x
Old 24 Oct 14, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
debidee
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by lauralaura View Post
I have really enjoyed your reports and have bookmarked this post to refer back to when it comes to planning the shopping days !
Thanks for reading - glad you enjoyed it and it gave you some tips! Debs x
Old 24 Oct 14, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

You really know how to shop! Unfortunately there is no way my ds who will be 9 will let me shop that much. Last trip ww went to the outlets on vine land twice. Next time i was going to go back there when we are at disney and florida mall when we are at rpr. Is this a daft plan? Where would be best for make up? Mac, Estée Lauder? Is Victoria secrets only at the other outlets? You are the queen of shopping now, pls help! ( and thanks for sharing your report loved it!)
Old 24 Oct 14, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
debidee
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by sully2 View Post
You really know how to shop! Unfortunately there is no way my ds who will be 9 will let me shop that much. Last trip ww went to the outlets on vine land twice. Next time i was going to go back there when we are at disney and florida mall when we are at rpr. Is this a daft plan? Where would be best for make up? Mac, Estée Lauder? Is Victoria secrets only at the other outlets? You are the queen of shopping now, pls help! ( and thanks for sharing your report loved it!)
Hi, VS is only at the International Drive end. IMO this is the better of the 2 big outlets as it has additional stores to Vineland. I also find it a little less confusing to walk around as Vineland is now split across a main road and the additional sections are a bit hidden!
If you are looking for Premium make-up then there is also a cosmetic company outlet at International Drive end -it sells Mac, Lancôme, Estée Lauder and Clinque.
Florida mall has Sephora and Mac and also the big department stores. My biggest lesson I have learnt is that weekday shopping is best for additional discounts and if possible make a small purchase 1st to see if they give you a voucher - to spend straight away again!
I'm sure whichever outlet you visit you will love it! You could always book your DS into a kids club at Disney (or childminder services onsite) for a few hours hassle free - for both of you ;-) ... or is that just being cruel?!?
Happy to help! Debs xxx