Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 May 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sigur
Having Dinner with Goofy

Thoughts on USA & Canada itinerary?

Hi folks.

We had always thought we would like to visit Canada. After our last trip to WDW we decided to tie in a trip with visiting some of relatives in Maine. The Canada pavilion in WDW has a lot to answer for...

So, the visit is happening in July. DW, DD(10) & DS(7) and myself are heading for around 20 days.
Initial idea was to start in NYC before heading to Maine and then onto Montreal, Toronto and then ending back in NYC. As you can below, that changed a bit..
We are starting in NYC as the kids have never been. Idea is to see the main sites with them and DD wants to visit Ellens Stardust Diner. We are then heading to Boston for a couple of days. Aquarium is a must visit there. Paris in Maine is then our next stop. We are staying with relatives of DW. Quebec is next, then Montreal, then Ottawa, the Toronto before finally heading back to NYC

In summary, the itinerary has changed a bit. We thought we would squeeze in Quebec and use that as our Canada starting point. Our accommodation on the trip is generally Booking.com which can mostly be cancelled if we decide to change things around.
Are we looking to do too much?
Must see family attractions at any of the cities?
Places to stop on any of drives?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

03-Jul NYC - Cassa Hotel Times Sq
04-Jul NYC
05-Jul NYC
06-Jul Boston -Drive to Boston after picking up car in Stamford Connecticut
07-Jul Boston
08-Jul Maine - Drive to Paris Maine
09-Jul Maine
10-Jul Maine
11-Jul Maine
12-Jul Maine
13-Jul Maine
14-Jul Quebec - Drive to Quebec
15-Jul Quebec
16-Jul Montreal - Drive to Montreal
17-Jul Montreal
18-Jul Ottawa -Drive to Ottowa
19-Jul Toronto - Drive to Toronto
20-Jul Toronto
21-Jul NYC - Drive to NYC with overnight en-route
22-Jul NYC - Arrive Stamford before heading to NYC (Hotel Stanford)
23-Jul JFK - Flight home
sigur is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Looks pretty good to me actually.

I'm sure you could fill more time in all of those places, but that's the trade-off between seeing more places!

Need to think about your stop-off between Toronto and NYC. We stopped at Scranton, PA which wasn't exactly great although the drive there was nice. We also once did Montreal -> NYC (Well, Long Island) and stopped for the night at Albany which was much better.

The one big ommission is Niagara Falls. As you are in Toronto it really isn't much of a detour to see it and you really should if at all possible. Perhaps switch out one of the return NYC nights for a night there instead.
Old 11 May 19, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sigur
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Looks pretty good to me actually.

I'm sure you could fill more time in all of those places, but that's the trade-off between seeing more places!

Need to think about your stop-off between Toronto and NYC. We stopped at Scranton, PA which wasn't exactly great although the drive there was nice. We also once did Montreal -> NYC (Well, Long Island) and stopped for the night at Albany which was much better.

The one big ommission is Niagara Falls. As you are in Toronto it really isn't much of a detour to see it and you really should if at all possible. Perhaps switch out one of the return NYC nights for a night there instead.
Thanks for that. It's reassuring.

Niagara is being done when we leave Toronto. Hoping to get away early in morning and head there before setting off eastwards.
I'd have loved a stop in Scranton (Dunder Mifflin fan) but had read that the Pocono Mountains were a good option.
sigur is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sigur View Post
Thanks for that. It's reassuring.

Niagara is being done when we leave Toronto. Hoping to get away early in morning and head there before setting off eastwards.
I'd have loved a stop in Scranton (Dunder Mifflin fan) but had read that the Pocono Mountains were a good option.
Ah good, glad to hear you aren't missing it! The boat is worth doing if you have a couple of hours there. I'd suggest buying tickets in advance as the queues can be massive.
Old 12 May 19, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Just to throw something else into the mix - you could fly into New York and out of Boston. This may be cost effective and Boston airport is so easy to drive back to - we did this after Niagara with an overnight stay in Albany.

Last September (I did do a highs and lows) and included Acadia NP the views are amazing and I had my first lobster - with bib and instructions!

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1110396

Edited at 03:36 PM.
AlexE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
sigur
Having Dinner with Goofy

Thanks for the suggestion AlexE. Flights are already booked though. Arrive and depart from JFK. Also thought I'd would be an idea to mop up on the NYC items we miss at the start of the trip.
Old 13 May 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We are going back to the East Coast in September for our missed bits. Starting off in Boston, doing Acadia NP then North Conway. Then flying to New York then Washington before crashing in an Orlando Villa for a while then flying back from Miami.
Old 18 May 19, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
sigur
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by AlexE View Post
We are going back to the East Coast in September for our missed bits. Starting off in Boston, doing Acadia NP then North Conway. Then flying to New York then Washington before crashing in an Orlando Villa for a while then flying back from Miami.
I had pondered Washington but felt it wouldn't work this time. Can keep it on the to do list though.
Old 20 May 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
sigur
Having Dinner with Goofy

So, ESTA's are done for arriving and travelling in the USA. I had believed I needed the Canadian equivalent for driving across the border but it seems that they are only needed if flying into Canada.
Is this correct?
Old 21 May 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sigur View Post
So, ESTA's are done for arriving and travelling in the USA. I had believed I needed the Canadian equivalent for driving across the border but it seems that they are only needed if flying into Canada.
Is this correct?
I think this is correct, but for the few $ there might not be any harm in just getting one anyway.