Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 9 Apr 19, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile New Orleans, Nashville & Memphis questions?

A friend and I are planning a road trip visiting NO, Nashville and Memphis. Not until 2022 but it’s never to early to plan right?
Where would the best locations within each city to stay and any hotel recommendations? Roughly £150pn. We will have a car too but preferably would like to be within walking/short cab ride of most attractions.
Where would you recommend flying in and out of and would 3 nights in each be enough?
I think that’s all for now!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Oh and what time of year? Won’t be restricted to school holidays, yay!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
kirkdalewdw
Imagineer

we flew into New Orleans and stayed at Homewood suites, good location

homewoodsuites3.hilton/e...GMB-HW-MSYFRHW

Everything was walkable that we wanted to do (Voodo Museum, Mardi Gras museum, Death Museum, French Quarter, Bourbon Street etc), there was also a hop on off bus that went from around the corner.

We hired a car from Avis at the Hilton riverside hotel and drove to Memphis, we stayed on Elvis Presley Blvd... I don't recommend staying there lol, dodgy it was. Memphis was ok, Beale street had a good vibe, but the drive is quite boring. We didn't do Nashville so I can't comment on that. We dropped our car back at New Orleans airport. We went in Feb last year when Mardi Gras was on, was quite cold and Mardi Gras was not what we were expecting
kirkdalewdw is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Hampton Inn Beale street in Memphis was good and very convenient. Take earplugs though. Free breakfast !
Downtown Nashville is very pricey. We stayed at holiday inn express opryland which is further out but has a shuttle bus to downtown. Also free breakfast ! And parking ...

Nola. If you can bag a deal on the Bourbon Orleans it’s amazing. This time I also looked at the Mazarin but the Orleans was too much of a draw. Canal street hotels and beyond are a little walk to the French Quarter but often better prices. We are back there in October ..

Nola doesn’t need a car really and parking is s nightmare so I would say road trip between Memphis and Nashville and then either fly Nashville to Nola or take the train Memphis to Nola. Or ditch the car when you get to Nola.

3 nights in Memphis might be too much. We didn’t like Nashville but I’m horribly biased towards Nola and the food /cocktails !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

This year,we are flying into Atlanta,as the flights were only £390 inc luggage.
We don’t land until half 8 at night,so we are picking the car up & we have rented an Airbnb for the night.
We are driving straight to Nashville the next morning,we have rented another Airbnb,because there are 4 of us,it worked out a lot cheaper,than renting 2 rooms,in each destination.
When we are driving from Memphis to New Orleans,we are having a night in clarksdale & a night in Vicksburg,to break the drive up.
We are actually in New Orleans for Halloween,so looking forward to that.
We have 3 nights in each of your 3 destinations.
I went in Oct,quite a few years ago & we had lovely weather,so hoping for the same this time.
Tracy x
Old 9 Apr 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Hampton Inn Beale street in Memphis was good and very convenient. Take earplugs though. Free breakfast !
Downtown Nashville is very pricey. We stayed at holiday inn express opryland which is further out but has a shuttle bus to downtown. Also free breakfast ! And parking ...

Nola. If you can bag a deal on the Bourbon Orleans it’s amazing. This time I also looked at the Mazarin but the Orleans was too much of a draw. Canal street hotels and beyond are a little walk to the French Quarter but often better prices. We are back there in October ..

Nola doesn’t need a car really and parking is s nightmare so I would say road trip between Memphis and Nashville and then either fly Nashville to Nola or take the train Memphis to Nola. Or ditch the car when you get to Nola.

3 nights in Memphis might be too much. We didn’t like Nashville but I’m horribly biased towards Nola and the food /cocktails !
Where would you recommend for cocktails,as I love a great cocktail on holiday.
Must be 20 years,since my last visit,so recommendations,would be very welcome.
Tracy x
Old 9 Apr 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by tracy99 View Post
Where would you recommend for cocktails,as I love a great cocktail on holiday.
Must be 20 years,since my last visit,so recommendations,would be very welcome.
Tracy x
Ooh. I have two trippies with Nola in so do have a look !
Tropical Isle for a Shark attack or hand grenade. Orleans Grapevine for a hand grenade martini. Antoines for a Rum Punch. Our hotel does a mean Gin Fizz and Grasshopper. Pat O Briens for Hurricane and Mint Julep. Royal Oyster House for Strawberry Vodka lemonade although I have my eye on the zombie juice next time.

Most of those are not on the main Bourbon Street drag so a little quieter.

We didn’t get to Frenchmen Street or The Rum House. Both on plan for October !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Ooh. I have two trippies with Nola in so do have a look !
Tropical Isle for a Shark attack or hand grenade. Orleans Grapevine for a hand grenade martini. Antoines for a Rum Punch. Our hotel does a mean Gin Fizz and Grasshopper. Pat O Briens for Hurricane and Mint Julep. Royal Oyster House for Strawberry Vodka lemonade although I have my eye on the zombie juice next time.

Most of those are not on the main Bourbon Street drag so a little quieter.

We didn’t get to Frenchmen Street or The Rum House. Both on plan for October !
I’ve definitely read your trip reports,when you’ve posted them & thoroughly enjoyed them,I never thought to look back on them,for tips on where to enjoy a nice cocktail,why didn’t I think of that lol!
But thank you for taking the time,to give some fab tips,I have put them all in my phone & look forward to trying 1 or 2 or even 3 or 4!
Thank you so much
Tracy x
Old 10 Apr 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by kirkdalewdw View Post
we flew into New Orleans and stayed at Homewood suites, good location

homewoodsuites3.hilton/e...GMB-HW-MSYFRHW

Everything was walkable that we wanted to do (Voodo Museum, Mardi Gras museum, Death Museum, French Quarter, Bourbon Street etc), there was also a hop on off bus that went from around the corner.

We hired a car from Avis at the Hilton riverside hotel and drove to Memphis, we stayed on Elvis Presley Blvd... I don't recommend staying there lol, dodgy it was. Memphis was ok, Beale street had a good vibe, but the drive is quite boring. We didn't do Nashville so I can't comment on that. We dropped our car back at New Orleans airport. We went in Feb last year when Mardi Gras was on, was quite cold and Mardi Gras was not what we were expecting
This is fab thank you, will note these down!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 10 Apr 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

I've just re read both your trippies Amanda, been a great help
Would like to stay near Beale Street but I'm such a light sleeper I'm not sure I'll cope!
Yes Nashville is ridiculously priced. Don't mind staying further out if there's a transfer into town
The Bourbon Orleans really does look amazing, will definitely be checking for a cheapish rate!
Looking forward to your next one, it won't be long now

IG - alicialanesmith