Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 12 Mar 21, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

After having our Sept 2020 RCI cruise on the Harmony cancelled I'm mulling over another booking.

Looking at the Allure for next March - very good price at the moment, just waiting on some info from an agent in the US.

Good to be planning and thinking seriously about cruising again.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Just_Pete
Excited about Disney

I would say given that you are travelling with you children of that age, that an Oasis class is the way to go out of the options you have shared.

I think the vision class just won't offer as many options for passing the time as any of RCI's more recent classes. I think Freedom, Oasis and Quantum class, they have all the bells and whistles. And really a lot to do.

I have done Oasis class, and yes there are some criticisms, the ship is genuinely so large and designed in such a way, that most of it's public interior spaces offer zero views of the ocean. But on a sea day you will have so many options for Activities/Drinking and eating, that all will be forgiven.
Just_Pete is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
After having our Sept 2020 RCI cruise on the Harmony cancelled I'm mulling over another booking.

Looking at the Allure for next March - very good price at the moment, just waiting on some info from an agent in the US.

Good to be planning and thinking seriously about cruising again.
One step closer - booked the flights to Miami this morning...
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

One step closer - booked the flights to Miami this morning...
Was just about to book Allure of the Seas - the flash sale has just ended. Grrrr.

Will keep on eye on the site and wait until the next 'sale' comes along (they seem to cycle every 2 weeks or so - pump up the price then issue a 'sale')
Old 21 Apr 21, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

There is so much to do on the newer ships that it is a no brainier for me. The cabins will be fresher as well, with usb points and glass shower screens. When we sailed on the Allure a few years ago, there was even an iPod dock in the cabin.
The amount of activities on the newer ships is outstanding, there will be lots for you and your family to do when not ashore.
Smaller, older ships have their own charm and I would sail on one if the itinerary was right, but for a first cruise...
We have always had a balcony, it’s lovely sitting out there.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Gillybean08
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Thank you for all the advice 😊 We eventually decided on Allure of the Seas sailing next May from Barcelona, it’s just a few weeks after my 40th and we’d save on airfare versus America, Caribbean. My oldest is bringing his girlfriend and they have an interior cabin, he’ll be just 18 so with all the drink options available to him I didn’t want him falling over board with his own balcony, he’s 6’4 and clumsy!
We have a balcony cabin directly opposite, we are mid ship deck 6, not my first choice but I’m happy now as I have easy access to the gym and running track and the kids can easily visit the boardwalk area for entertainment and snacks.
Our ports are Barcelona, Palma De Mallorca, Marseille, La Spezia, Rome and Naples. We only have one at sea day so we are going to miss the Rome day and make use of the facilities onboard the ship as we are visiting Rome for a long weekend later in the year.
The boys are more excited about the Mediterranean than I was! I forget they’ve mostly done Disney and U.S holidays. They want to hike up Mount Vesuvius in Naples and my 8 year old is telling everybody he’s visiting 3 new countries in a week. Poor, uncultured Disney child! 🙈
I’m hoping we can spend 3/4 nights in Barcelona when we disembark, just need to price two hotel rooms versus an Airbnb, I’m favouring the Eixample area if we book an Airbnb.
Please feel free to offer any advice!
Gillybean08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Just_Pete
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Gillybean08 View Post
Thank you for all the advice 😊 We eventually decided on Allure of the Seas sailing next May from Barcelona, it’s just a few weeks after my 40th and we’d save on airfare versus America, Caribbean. My oldest is bringing his girlfriend and they have an interior cabin, he’ll be just 18 so with all the drink options available to him I didn’t want him falling over board with his own balcony, he’s 6’4 and clumsy!
We have a balcony cabin directly opposite, we are mid ship deck 6, not my first choice but I’m happy now as I have easy access to the gym and running track and the kids can easily visit the boardwalk area for entertainment and snacks.
Our ports are Barcelona, Palma De Mallorca, Marseille, La Spezia, Rome and Naples. We only have one at sea day so we are going to miss the Rome day and make use of the facilities onboard the ship as we are visiting Rome for a long weekend later in the year.
The boys are more excited about the Mediterranean than I was! I forget they’ve mostly done Disney and U.S holidays. They want to hike up Mount Vesuvius in Naples and my 8 year old is telling everybody he’s visiting 3 new countries in a week. Poor, uncultured Disney child! 🙈
I’m hoping we can spend 3/4 nights in Barcelona when we disembark, just need to price two hotel rooms versus an Airbnb, I’m favouring the Eixample area if we book an Airbnb.
Please feel free to offer any advice!
Amazing this was the exact itinerary I did on her sister ship Oasis at the end of Summer 2019, and it was such a great cruise! So many highlights! Great destinations and so many options on the ship!
Just_Pete is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Go to Coco Cay it’s absolutely awesome.
Old 23 Apr 21, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Was just about to book Allure of the Seas - the flash sale has just ended. Grrrr.

Will keep on eye on the site and wait until the next 'sale' comes along (they seem to cycle every 2 weeks or so - pump up the price then issue a 'sale')
Booking now confirmed - had a good price I was happy with.

Balcony for either Boardwalk or Central Park - £1100 for 2, 6 nights on Allure of the Seas. No Coco Cay but as it's our first RCI we're looking forward to spending much of the time on the ship.
Old 5 Jan 22, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Booking now confirmed - had a good price I was happy with.

Balcony for either Boardwalk or Central Park - £1100 for 2, 6 nights on Allure of the Seas. No Coco Cay but as it's our first RCI we're looking forward to spending much of the time on the ship.
(It will be our 2nd RCI as we sneaked in a staycation in October on the Anthem)

Just paid the balance (I used VactionsToGo in the US), they repriced the cruise and I got a reduction -

Total paid £950. Happy with that!

80 days and counting.