Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Apr 21, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Blueste
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Why would you worry if you had a holiday booked? If that worries you, you are too easily shaken in my view.
It goes ahead or it doesn’t. If you can’t fly, it’s refund anyway or voucher. Good for next year or the year after, in my case 5 years. All hotels fully cancellable. Canaries and then U.K. all booked as back ups.
It’s an individual decision but I’d rather be in the race, than watching from the stands.
You paint an idyllic picture of obtaining refunds which maybe factually accurate but differs greatly from the reality of receiving them post Covid!
Blueste is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
I’m not worried as I haven’t booked as it always looked very unlikely for 2021. But I work in Insurance and can see the upset caused by lack of refunds from ticket providers, accommodation, trips out etc.

Quite a few threads on here about no refunds for villa hire and DVC rental
You are talking about mainly an historical situation where people booked never envisaging a pandemic and struggled to force through refunds, myself included with Air Canada.

In most cases things are now very different with many people such as myself having booked refundable hotels (in fact out of all the hotels I booked for both my West Coast trip, now with a second flight changed to Florida and Florida Christmas) in most cases zero money down. I’ve paid £15 deposit for the Universal hotel, if the worst came to the worst, I’d take that on the chin
Same with flights. I now have three flights booked, all fully cancellable ( I still need to get around to cancelling my West Coast flights but will do that soon) with vouchers - BA valid until 2023 and Aer Lingus 2027. I’m sure even scarients won’t keep me out of the US until then.
So no risk to the majority who have seen the opportunity to book at very good prices and hedged their bets.
Hopefully me and many others will be jetting off to a fabulous Florida holiday in July and August but if not, no biggie, hopefully Canaries is the consolation prize (fantastic no money down deal there too).
We will see whose prediction is correct over the US, we can only hope!
Old 22 Apr 21, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Blueste View Post
You paint an idyllic picture of obtaining refunds which maybe factually accurate but differs greatly from the reality of receiving them post Covid!
Read my post above- what refunds I suppose is the answer? I haven’t paid anything apart from flights, and those are fully cancellable with long lasting vouchers which I’m absolutely fine with.
Even my car hire I don’t pay a penny until I pick it up, they don’t even have my credit card details (Costco).

Edited at 08:33 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Blueste
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Read my post above- what refunds I suppose is the answer? I haven’t paid anything apart from flights, and those are fully cancellable with long lasting vouchers which I’m absolutely fine with.
Even my car hire I don’t pay a penny until I pick it up, they don’t even have my credit card details (Costco).
Your OP talked about refunds in general my response was to that, the post you directed me to talks mainly about no money down so not really a refund?! Many companies have talked about refunds/vouchers guarantees, the reality is very different. Ryan Air as an example, people report that it would be cheaper to lose the voucher and re-book that pay the extra on top they are asked for.
Blueste is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Anyone want to re-visit their predictions?

I’m saying late June or early July.
Old 28 Apr 21, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Reereef View Post
Anyone want to re-visit their predictions?

I’m saying late June or early July.
Early July for a few select airports like NY, LA etc (i.e trial travel corridor)

MCO September onwards
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Early July for a few select airports like NY, LA etc (i.e trial travel corridor)

MCO September onwards
I’m flying to Miami end of July. Fingers crossed 🤞
Old 28 Apr 21, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Reereef View Post
I’m flying to Miami end of July. Fingers crossed 🤞
I’m Miami too, on 5th August. If it’s select airports only, I will cry if Miami isn’t one of them!
Old 28 Apr 21, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Originally Posted by TinkerBabe View Post
I’m Miami too, on 5th August. If it’s select airports only, I will cry if Miami isn’t one of them!
Miami is open now and has been throughout to my knowledge 🙂
Old 28 Apr 21, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Blueste View Post
Mine could fairly be described as reasonably ‘idyllic’. I DIY and where possible, have always cut out middle men when I can. I don’t trust their morals or their long term solvency.

March of 2020. Cancelled 18 purchases across the West Coast.
British Airways refunded my flights in 8 days.
United with an internal, I had to wait for them to cancel, then the refund was quick.
Both car hires.. refunded within a fortnight. Hertz and Budget.
All 9 hotels.. 8 refunded within a week and a further, non refundable one paid up after a month.
Attractions.. I had to chargeback Alcatraz and a driving tour of SFO.. Simple.

August of 2020. Cancelled 17 purchases across the West Coast.
I expected a credit note from American as I cancelled.. “Oh no! We rescheduled your flight home from direct to indirect. If you want, you can have a full refund”. It took 4 days.
Car hire (Alamo). Back in 48 hours
All hotels, back in a week.

I guess that I won 35-0 with no admin fees. These facts and observing the atrocious behaviour of certain other Airlines and chains affected where I placed my money for August 2021. I learnt from my own experience and that of others. There are certain companies that I will never now consider.
Flights. Longhaul BA. If I can’t go, then it’s a credit usable to April 30, 2023. I know that BA won’t go bust.
Internal with American. Non refundable admittedly, but a giveaway price.
Hotels, all direct or through EBookers. I have picked companies that were good with me in 2020.
Car hire, both refundable up to 48 hours before collection.

I notice that many DIBBERS are showing continued loyalty to companies (and I don’t even have to name them), that absolutely shafted their customers, flagrantly breaking law and taking 120 days plus to redeem money in the event that their very hard sell on credit notes failed.
Well, if people haven’t been taking notes, comparing customer service and placing their money accordingly, then more fool them!

I confidently predict that as soon as normality returns, those airlines that put out a begging bowl, whining about their cash flow and asking favours (credit notes instead of refunds), will do everything in their power to render those credit notes as near to worthless as possible, whilst knowing that their customers will be in a ‘use it or lose it’ situation, tied to that airline and whatever prices they choose to set. The prices will be going through the roof! .. That is if those companies even survive next winter.

‘Idyllic?’ If it happens again... Yes.. if you back the right Horse(s) after studying recent form.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:56 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List