Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 21 Apr 21, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Pink panther is a classic. But also a niche market perhaps?
Does a classic have to have mass appeal, or just be a classic in its genre?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Which of the following UK cinema releases from 1978 would you regard as classic?

Ta

BB

Objectively, I would say all of them are classic except maybe Revenge of the Pink Panther. Or, at least, that's a bit less classic than the rest.

Personally, my favourite of those listed would be Superman. I'm a comic book fan and therefore that sort of film would always be my choice. But more importantly it was probably what started a run of superhero movies that eventually resulted in the start of the MCU - which is one of the most successful franchises ever.

Superman is to the superhero movie genre what Star Wars was to the space sci-fi movie genre. They are both iconic and classics.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:42 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Caj - I think I have to admit defeat !
I'm not sure why?

They are all classics. So any one you pick is the right answer. And just because someone picks one doesn't mean that the others aren't classics. It's not like there can only be one classic per year.

The question isn't which one you liked the most. I'm not a fan of Grease or Saturday Night Fever but I agree that they are classics.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
katebush95
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Christopher Reeve was my favourite Superman and I love that movie, but agree that Grease has to win in the classic stakes.

Glenbrook Villa April 2009
Highgrove Villa July 2011
New York New York April 2017

Back to the magic take two! November 2022 Pre-Trip report
katebush95 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 21, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

I wouldn't call any of them a classic to be honest. You could call some of them iconic though.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 21, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
I wouldn't call any of them a classic to be honest. You could call some of them iconic though.
I would agree with you (my opinion). To me it's a bit like "who do you define as a national treasure"
Old 24 Apr 21, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

We are going to see this at the drive in on Saturday which is ironic as part of grease is set at a drive in
I love this film, and when we had dinner at the scifi diner as hs sat in a car I was so excites to see the ad between the clips that is on the screen in the background when Danny is on the swings singing stranded at the drive in! With the hot dog jumping into the bun doing somersaults and joining the ice cream and pop corn going round in a little circle. It always looked like the ad stalled a bit at that point, bit it did the same at the restaurant so I assume was supposed to do it!
Old 24 Apr 21, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I didnt enjoy Grease - even back on those days (I was still at school) I found it somewhat sexist and it just didnt sit right with me . Never saw Saturday Night Fever but yes Superman with Christopher Reeve was also a classic for me - for me he will forever be Superman . It was a film us youngsters watched and adults awoke and we all found something to enjoy
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 21, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jjdmc
Excited about Disney

Definitely Grease
Old 24 Apr 21, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Close encounters. TBH I loathe the film - Grease, just dont get how it is so popular!
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List