Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 21 Apr 21, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

We've done National Express coaches for LHR, train for Gatwick via Reading both from Exeter. These were fine for us, think we prefer this as we get older.
We have driven straight back from LHR, just stop for comfort breaks and share the driving. Neither of us sleep well on the planes, we just want to get home.
Easiest of all was flying out of Bristol, so the journey home was a breeze!
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
FAcup14
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hayes and Harlington to Reading and then change is a MUCH better option. More luggage space, less travel time, easier connection.
100% this. You don't need to go into central London to get to Heathrow. I'd avoid the tube with luggage at all costs. I've done the tube with a suitcase and two sets of skis and it wasn't the best experience.

Changing at Hayes will be about the same amount of time as going into Paddington from Heathrow but easier. Changing at Slough for a direct from or to Reading might make it even quicker.
FAcup14 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I never use the tube with luggage . I don’t do steps or escalators with luggage .
All the major stations are accessible so works well for cases
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

We are South Devon and we try and get the latest flight out of Miami on the way home, that way it’s about 10.30 when you land in the Uk. For us, it feels easier to rest on the plane as the take off is later and 10.30am is psychologically better for driving home. If dh is tired, we stop for him to sleep for an hour and then get a strong coffee. We tried the coach once and never again! It was awful, couldn’t pre book seats, split up on both journeys and on the way home ds was only 8 and no one would swap to let him sit with one of his parents, he was so tired and upset. The driver of the coach cheerfully told us that he’d driven up overnight and had had no sleep and his driving was horribly erratic, he had to stop near Exeter and get another driver to meet the coach in a lay-by and take over the driving, I thought we wouldn’t make it home alive. Personally, I’d get a day room, or use a campsite as previously suggested or drive home taking care and having stops when needed. My friend had a taxi and it was approx £500 from south Devon to Heathrow return, so if you add up the overnight hotels/dayroom, parking, petrol costs etc., it’s not that expensive really, but we like having the car with us.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Dmc14
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks all, I lost the thread so has taken me a while to reply! I think nearer the time we will book a day room or a campsite is a great idea that I never would’ve thought of. Plus lots of coffee 😁
Dmc14 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Dmc14 View Post
Thanks all, I lost the thread so has taken me a while to reply! I think nearer the time we will book a day room or a campsite is a great idea that I never would’ve thought of. Plus lots of coffee 😁
If you look down the side of the group, on 'The Dibb Menu' there's a 'My Active Threads' button so it's easy to see your posts etc.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
Imagineer

We drove from Gatwick back up to Teesside last trip and about an hour in we had to pull into a service station and go to sleep - we didn’t wake up for over two hours! We said we wouldn’t do it again after that as with stops and sleeps it took us longer to get home than the flight back to the UK did 🤣
Sept 21 TwoGoTo Aiya Napa - Amarande Hotel
Nov 21 TwoGoTo New York - The James New York Nomad
Mar 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Cabana Bay
Sept 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
Nov 22 TwoGoTo Rome - 9Hotel Cesari
July 23 TwoGoTo Kos - Mitsis Summer Palace
Sept 23 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
twogoto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 21, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

We live near Weymouth. The drive up to LGW takes about 3 - 4 hours. The drive back is a bit longer. I aim for Fleet Services on the M3 and pull over. If I need to sleep then I'll have about 30 minutes then have a large coffee. If I'm really tired I set an alarm clock or my mobile for an hour and a half and then get back on the road. If DW managed to get more sleep than me on the flight she will take over the driving. The drive back can take up to 5+ hours but I'm happy with that.
Old 25 Apr 21, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

I would never drive home and we are only 2.5 hrs from manchester. DH has driven home and then gone straight to work for the day but he's mad.
If DH isn't with us we get the train or pay the money for a taxi transfer.
fluffychicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We generally arrive at LHR and then pick up our car, driving perhaps as far as Almondsbury or Cribbs Causeway whilst adrenaline is still present from the arrival and pick up. We then stay in a Prem Inn... cheapest I can find.

Next morning when we get in the car, we only have another 3 hours or so to Falmouth!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List