Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Apr 21, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Thanks all. I will definitely be doing a thread. I'll start it when things really get moving else it might be a tad boring as it'll be photos of a patch of grass

We have already made quite a few of the decisions luckily, we've had 4 months waiting for our house sale to go through so had quite a bit of time to research! We've been collating a mood board so when we need to, we have photos of things we like to hand to help us.

Although we have already agreed that apart from the kitchen/diner and our main bedroom and en suite, that we will whitewash everywhere to move in and then we can decorate one room at a time. Less decisions all at once that way We don't NEED all the rooms to be in operation from day 1 and don't want to rush decisions and get them wrong.

Good idea about the log cabin . We are wanting to build a garage so we are considering starting with that and then maybe we can set up a little kitchen or something in there to give us a bit more space.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

My ex husband did this back in the 80's. 1/4 acre plot, huge 4 bed house, 2baths and a granny suite on the lower level behind the double garage. I absolutely loved it. Sadly my ex moved on half way through the build so it was left up to me to complete and get the gardens completed. My lad was only 14 at the time, and with my FIL's help we got it completed.

We sold all our furniture before we went on site (we wanted all new when we eventually moved in) and as you do lived in a mobile home with a huge shed for the washing machine/dryer and freezer. I only got to live in it whilst it was up for sale, do I regret it NO, if I had the money now I would do it all over again.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Like many others on here, I am really quite jealous. Would love to do something similar. Unfortunately don’t have the courage of my convictions. But to be fair if the perfect plot came up I might push for it.

Finding the right plot has to be the hardest, not least one with planning permissions. Were you hunting, or just a lucky find?

Edited at 11:10 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I think anyone who does this at some point is convinced they were nuts ... but once done are glad they did it !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

We did this in the Caribbean, an acre of land slopping down to the ocean. Would i do it again, no, I loved the house while we had it but building it was hard, very hard.

Lack of supplies, difficulties in getting the trades working together etc all meant it was very hard and stressful.

We got there in the end with a lovely result, do I miss it, sometimes but mostly not.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I think anyone who does this at some point is convinced they were nuts ... but once done are glad they did it !
This, and would you always regret not doing it! Yes!
Old 21 Apr 21, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I think we always thought one day we would do a self build as from a very early age both Dean and I loved watching Grand Designs and have just been really interested in house renovations etc.

We weren't actually looking specifically for a plot, we knew we wanted somewhere with a bit more space and were pretty disappointed in what was available on the market for our budget - plenty of lovely houses but the ones with enough land were just not right. We went for another place which had a lovely plot and a run down Victorian house on that needed total renovation & an extension, but the problem is the plot was big enough to subdivide and build two houses, so obviously a developer was willing to pay more than us (who would have just left it as a garden) and money talked

I saw our plot listed on RightMove a couple of hours after it was put up (we were checking several times a day at that point) and showed it to Dean as sort of a 'if only' sort of way, and he asked me if I had booked a viewing yet! So I did, and the next day we viewed. We both knew it was the right thing to do, we were stood in the plot and agreed we wanted it there & then so once we were home from the viewing I rang the EA and put an offer in straightaway. So, I would class that as a lucky find!

Then, I threw myself into sorting the finances, which worked out OK and here we are! I really didn't think we could pull it off especially as there were lots of developers interested in it too, but the stars seemed to align for us.

We are looking at more of a kit house, whereby the house is effectively built in a factory off site, then put together on site. There are various companies that do this but we have a favourite and they kindly offered for us to visit a partially built house they had supplied + built so we went on Monday. It was amazing - I asked how long it took to take the site from cured foundations to a watertight house and he said the house we were stood in took 2 weeks obviously there's still the internal fit out to do, but, how incredible. They are also much more energy efficient than traditional build houses.

catherinesian is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Really interesting. I have loved playing with flat pack homes. Some of the designs are amazing. Will watch your journey with interest...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Wow, all sounds very exciting and i'll definitely be checking back for updates on how you're getting on
Old 24 May 21, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

(separate thread now started)

Edited at 05:05 PM.