Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 1 Jan 21, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Lucaroo
I want to go now!

Mobile Adding on at SSR

Hi everyone, so where thinking of adding on, where a family of 4 at the moment kids aged 3 and 1 . Currently own 100 points at poly which where very happy with but am thinking about bigger rooms for us all. So where thinking about adding on a 150 points at ssr. We only plan on going every 2 years for 14 days. We've yet to stay at ssr but like the idea of been close to disney springs and the extra space 1 bedrooms would give us. Ive been reading that the buses aren't that great from the resort? Has anyone had much problems with the transport.
Lucaroo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

The bus issue is overblown in my view, massively so. I still say the worst bus service is Boardwalk to MK, it takes an age and is often shared with Swan/ Dolphin. The BLT to HWS is also much worse than any SSR bus. Ironically I find the best bus services to be OKW, SSR and AKL for consistency and no journey too long.
If you are buying points for a 1 bed, bang on 7 months you also have a lot of options usually. 1 bed availability is a different ball game to studios at 7 months. So you will always normally have OKW, AK, and usually plenty of others for choice, if you go in summer you can literally book anywhere usually in a 1 bed. I had Beach Club and BLT last Christmas, Copper Creek last summer, and Boardwalk standard this Christmas. I have VGF at Easter, but that’s actually a studio. Availability may be a bit skewed though the next few years with covid.
SSR is a great resort, apparently satisfaction scores have gone up a massive 20% for those staying in the new rooms. The rooms really needed doing, but they always do near end of life (Boulder Ridge now the same).
There is a rumour they may eventually put Skyliner or some other transport into SSR or DS. This maybe is a little more likely given the train station they are building at DS.

Edited at 11:20 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Lucaroo
I want to go now!

Mobile

Thanks for the reply YorkshireT. I must admit it's the refurbished rooms that caught my eye, we hope to add on in the next few months with another resale contract. With regards to standard one beds do they tend to go fast in normal times at ssr? We currently travel most in October but as the kids get older this will change to July /August.
Lucaroo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

We love SSR and have never had an issue with buses from there they run pretty regularly
Old 1 Jan 21, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I don't think we've stayed at a single resort where we haven't spent at least once waiting ages for a bus, so that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lucaroo View Post
Thanks for the reply YorkshireT. I must admit it's the refurbished rooms that caught my eye, we hope to add on in the next few months with another resale contract. With regards to standard one beds do they tend to go fast in normal times at ssr? We currently travel most in October but as the kids get older this will change to July /August.
No you have no issues getting a standard one bed, normally until a few months out. October is obviously the busiest time of year. But even in October there’s usually lots of choice at 7 months out in 1 beds, particularly if you do split stays (we always do by choice on 10 plus nights).
Old 1 Jan 21, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve stayed at SSR many times since 2003 and never had a bigger problem with the buses there than anywhere else. Yes there is the odd delay but it’s no worse there than anywhere else.

YT - Mears are now doing the Swolphin buses rather than using the shared WDW ones!
Old 1 Jan 21, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
We’ve stayed at SSR many times since 2003 and never had a bigger problem with the buses there than anywhere else. Yes there is the odd delay but it’s no worse there than anywhere else.

YT - Mears are now doing the Swolphin buses rather than using the shared WDW ones!
Yeah I read that Karen- think this is in Covid times to make more space.
Old 1 Jan 21, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucaroo
I want to go now!

Mobile

Thanks for the replys everyone much appreciated. We have trip booked at the moment for the end of Nov start of December Hopefully we can get a contract sorted in the next few months and do a split stay between poly and 1 bedroom when we go. Happy New year
Old 1 Jan 21, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tigger48
VIP Dibber

OP excellent choice to add on at SSR but we may be a teeny bit biased 😊 ! We just closed on our 2nd add on on 29/12 👍. I can’t really add much more than YT except that our bus experience at SSR has typically been very good. We prefer to stay in the grandstand area since that’s the first bus stop/pickup point from the parks, and we like the pool and snack bar there. However, the hospitality house, main pool etc isn’t more than a few minutes walk either. Proximity to Disney Springs is also a bonus. Whilst nothing is certain when we bought our first direct contract in 2018 the legal/contract guy was at pains to point out the future possibility that the sky liner or similar could be extended to SSR, but perhaps that was wishful thinking on his part since he also owned at SSR?!
I think the longest (worst) bus wait we’ve had onsite has been waiting c 1hour at AKL NONONO! Lesson learnt, next time we’ll just take the car 😆.
Happy contract hunting.
tigger48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List