Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Jan 21, 01:19 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Nightmare neighbourhood cat

We have a very petite and timid 9 year old rescue cat

Late Autumn, in the evening a huge ginger cat came into our garden a couple of times and started fighting with our cat but ran off over the back fence the second we went out

A few weeks ago we were woken in the middle of the night by the two cats fighting in our kitchen !

The noise was deafening, as you can imagine, and again it scooted through the cat flap as we ran into the kitchen

We then realised the batteries had gone in the cat flap to stop the ginger cat coming in. We changed the batteries but it then must have chased our cat as i heard the cat flap clatter following by our cat growling the other side a couple of times. We actually could see the cat the other side of the plastic

We have now locked the cat flap completely but it keeps headbutting the cat flap to get in and stressing our cat out around midnight most nights

We are at a loss to know what to do

I have my suspicions that it may be locked out at night and is cold so trying to get in

We have asked around and cant find where it comes from. We never see it during the day

Any suggestions ?
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Pestbye® Battery Operated Motion Activated Waterproof Cat Repellent - Quick Fix Ultrasonic Cat Scarer with Ground Stake - Set of 2 amazon/dp/B00FXSU2...96EMVS2NEDB09Q

Have you thought about something like this?
I don’t know how well they work though
Old 31 Jan 21, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
Pestbye® Battery Operated Motion Activated Waterproof Cat Repellent - Quick Fix Ultrasonic Cat Scarer with Ground Stake - Set of 2 amazon/dp/B00FXSU2...96EMVS2NEDB09Q

Have you thought about something like this?
I don’t know how well they work though
Thank you for taking the time to look for that. The problem is that I presume our cat would hear that even from outside

She is getting stressed out when she hears the cat trying to get through the cat flap

If only we could talk to her to explain the cat cant get to her

Our house is all open plan and it seems so sad to lock her into just one room all night...plus then she would end up crying all night
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by JoJoBell View Post
Thank you for taking the time to look for that. The problem is that I presume our cat would hear that even from outside

She is getting stressed out when she hears the cat trying to get through the cat flap

If only we could talk to her to explain the cat cant get to her

Our house is all open plan and it seems so sad to lock her into just one room all night...plus then she would end up crying all night

Didn’t think about that sorry.
What about a deterrent spray that you could spray on the cat flap to discourage the ginger Tom but I don’t know if that would affect your cat.
I’ve read about people putting coffee grains in their flower beds to discourage cats coming in their garden but again I don’t know if that would affect your cat.
It’s a shame the ginger cat is out at night especially in this cold weather I always make sure mine are in at night
Old 31 Jan 21, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Welsh_Dragon
Proud to wear my Ears

Do you have a local cat rescue organisation that would help you to trap the cat, scan it and if necessary care for it?
Welsh_Dragon is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Mobile

What about covering the cat flap up at night - a piece of cardboard - just for a week so you cat can’t see the other one. The ginger can’t see in and may lose interest?
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
quiddity
Apprentice Imagineer

quiddity's Reviews
What about placing something in front of the door like a wheelie bin just overnight? Also having a bed or something comfy for her to sleep in in your bedroom? I know our cat feels safe when with us
7/2/12-9/2/12 cheyenne DLP for 1st time!
28/09/12-12/10/12 clarion inn LBV again again!
quiddity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 21, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
Didn’t think about that sorry.
What about a deterrent spray that you could spray on the cat flap to discourage the ginger Tom but I don’t know if that would affect your cat.
I’ve read about people putting coffee grains in their flower beds to discourage cats coming in their garden but again I don’t know if that would affect your cat.
It’s a shame the ginger cat is out at night especially in this cold weather I always make sure mine are in at night
No need to apologise

If I could get close enough I would get a spray bottle and spray it with water but we just cant get close enough

Our landing window is above the back door. We have though about tipping a cup of water down, not too much, just enough to scare it off but the second we open the window its runs off
If it was summer we could leave the window open but its far too cold to do that at the minute

I am guessing we dont see it during the day is because its asleep all day after being out all night

We may for now put a board across the cat flap at night which will at least stop it from trying to get in then tackle the problem again in the spring
Old 31 Jan 21, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Disney Bear View Post
What about covering the cat flap up at night - a piece of cardboard - just for a week so you cat can’t see the other one. The ginger can’t see in and may lose interest?
Originally Posted by quiddity View Post
What about placing something in front of the door like a wheelie bin just overnight? Also having a bed or something comfy for her to sleep in in your bedroom? I know our cat feels safe when with us
Thank you

I have just replied above to say we are thinking that is what we need to do

She does sleep on the bottom of our bed or in her bed downstairs

If it turns out that she cant go outside at night again its a shame but not the of the world its just a shame especially in the summer as she is out a lot during the night in the summer so presume she likes it
Old 31 Jan 21, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
Do you have a local cat rescue organisation that would help you to trap the cat, scan it and if necessary care for it?
Great idea

I will give them a ring and see what they say

We presume its going home to sleep during the day but we more or less back onto fields and it may be sleeping there during the day and trying to get in at night