Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 21 Mar 21, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Fraggle35
Very Serious Dibber

[QUOTE=Dazed;14889848]I haven’t read any of the replies, but for us the only ‘restriction’ is no fast passes. We go for the rides, the music/atmosphere, shops, food/snacks. We enjoy the fireworks but tend to just watch once at MK and once at Epcot in a 3-4 week trip, so although they’ll be missed, we can go without. We don’t have any character interactions or character meals but we are also lucky to have been many many times.

Totally agree with you Dazed, and can I add, controversially, I'm glad the meet and greets are socially distanced. Did them at DLP last summer and they were Brill. I usually get stuck behind the party who has 2 or 3 people until they get to the front of the line then several others appear all holding autograph books with no pens and wanting every combination of pictures that it needs an algorithm to work it out! I won't miss this at all.
Fraggle35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
The issue is that these are all in place now. I’m not basing my holiday plans on that when we don’t go for 6 months.
True. But we don't know when all the current 'limitations' will be removed. Hence why some people aren't considering going there in the next few months - which is what we are talking about here. They mean that they wouldn't visit Disney with the current limitations in place but would be happy to visit once they are lifted (and we know they will be lifted at some point, we just don't know when - could be this summer, could be the end of the year, could be some other time?).

So, I'm not going to book a holiday for, say, this July just in case the limitations are still in place. And for other reasons.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 21, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
I must admit I’m not keen on wearing masks outside in the heat, although I’m hoping as the year progresses this might not be a concern. Aside from that is it the possibility of no fireworks and character meet and greets people are worried about missing? Anything else?
Firstly, for me, it's not so much about being "worried about missing" something - most of these things I've seen before - but about the fact that there will be a little less things to see and do than at other times. I could either go this year with the limitations in place or wait until next year and go without most of the limitations in place. And the price will be roughly similar. So I know which one I'll choose!

Of course, I'm assuming people are like me and can't afford to go every year. If you can, then go this year with any limitations and also go next year with less limitations - problem solved!

As for the current limitations, they would be:
  • No character meets
  • No fireworks
  • Lack of some shows
  • Limited parades (although I'm not that fussed about this)
  • Mask wearing in the heat
  • Social distancing
  • No fastpasses
  • No (free) dining plan
  • Reduced park hours
  • No Magical Express and no EMH (small things but they do add up)

Of course, we all talking about the current limitations when we say we wouldn't go *now*. In October it may be different and some/most of the limitations I listed above may be gone. But obviously we aren't specifically talking about October when we say we wouldn't have a holiday to Orlando with the current limitations.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 21, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
FAcup14
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Pascaltimon View Post
Going to throw my opinion into the mix...
I’m a first timer have never stepped foot in Orlando or America.

I started with a booking for May 2020 with free dining and all planned out. It has now moved from May 2021 to May 2022

When I booked I had visions of the shows, the fireworks the parades and my dining was sorted. My husband and I saved for a good 3 years for the full experience. I know people say shows/ fireworks and characters meets would not bother them but from most responses most people have done these things at some point in the past so they were important at some point in the experience.

My original holiday my children would have been 9 and 6 now they will be 11 and 8 but I know if I am spending £10k on a holiday (original holiday was under £8k with free dining) I need to feel like I’m getting a full experience especially as it has become more expensive for less everytime I have moved. I will keep moving it until I feel like I am getting the dream holiday I had hoped for.
I'm in kind of the same boat. I went when I was a 8 so essentially this would be our first time as a family(partner and 4yr old boy). I've been planning it for nearly two years now. I even have a growth chart to see when he will be tall enough to go on the things he(I) want to go on.

I haven't booked anything. My plan was to do it this year. The free dining would be a big reason for me not booking. It's not that I think its value for money. I just don't want to have to think about how much X or Y is going to cost.

My personal view is somewhere in between you don't know what you are missing because you never had it, and, I want it all! I expect we will go back at some point as I'm not planning on doing Universal this time around.

Fireworks don't bother me too much but I'd like to see them. Shows/Parades/Meet and Greets are definitely something we would want to do.
FAcup14 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Im going solo
Ive seen the fireworks loads of times
I never do meet or greet or watch parades.

I’ll tolerate a mask if I have to.

For me its not a once in a lifetime trip. In normal times Id go every year, maybe twice, so I’ll just take whats on offer.

I can see some families with kids wanting the whole experience though. Its a lot of money to lay out and be a bit disappointed
Old 22 Mar 21, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Stitchesmumanddad View Post
For me its not a once in a lifetime trip. In normal times Id go every year, maybe twice, so I’ll just take whats on offer.
For those who go, and are planning to go, every year then there's no reason not to go this summer or autumn (if allowed). They'll soon be back once the limitations are gone so it doesn't matter much to them.

The permanent removal of EMH and ME would not stop me from visiting the parks but does count as a negative towards staying onsite. Those things change where I'd stay - not if I would visit.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 22 Mar 21, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
Beats a caravan in Bognor in the cold rain, whatever the restrictions might be.
Obviously that is a very bleak picture you paint but I do think we might want to consider if its an holiday to trade off restriction free UK (Cornwall in August with lots of sun to paint a better picture ) for restriction heavy [insert sunny foreign destination].

Obviously might not be restrictive but hopefully you see my point.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 21, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

We are booked for December.
We are not bothered about most differences. Not bothered about the parade, fast passes or meet and greets.
Not bothered about masks, if it means we can go. Plus the weather will be a bit cooler. I would like more restaurants to be open but we are fine with offsite.
I would be a bit upset if the shows aren’t back on especially the hoop dee do , but could live with it.
I’m kind of looking forward to a more relaxed time. I’m absolutely fine just wandering and going on whatever has a small enough queue.
But there are just the 2 of us and we have been a few times, and will go again so I understand that this might be so different with families and if it’s a first visit or so.
Sandraoh40 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 21, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
Obviously that is a very bleak picture you paint but I do think we might want to consider if its an holiday to trade off restriction free UK (Cornwall in August with lots of sun to paint a better picture ) for restriction heavy [insert sunny foreign destination].

Obviously might not be restrictive but hopefully you see my point.
I've actually had sunnier drier holidays in the UK than one or two trips to Florida. On our first trip to Orlando we had several days when it rained constantly. It does actually rain a bit more in Florida than here.

I go for the theme parks, not the weather. Although the (usually) sunny weather in Florida does help.

Again, if it comes down to a choice of going this year with restrictions versus going next year without restrictions, I know which one I'd choose.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 22 Mar 21, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I've actually had sunnier drier holidays in the UK than one or two trips to Florida.
You’ve clearly never holidayed in the U.K anywhere near me or at the same time. 😅😅
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List