Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 25 Mar 21, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink2386
VIP Dibber

Is 200points enough

OK so we're a family of 5. 2a 3c we're thinking every other year for 2 weeks October time.
I'm looking at either Riviera or Poly. Riviera is more affordable but dues are higher than poly?!
200 points is enough to get us a studio but I know trying to get another resort for split stay in a studio at 7m is going to be impossible.
I'm really battling with myself. I keep thinking we could just add on in a couple years if we need to as we've been told we'd get 2020 points 2021 and 2022 so technically we would have 600points if we wanted. Or we could back 2022 and go 22 and 23. This is probably sounding like a right ramble but basically 200points doable or not xx
Tink2386 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 21, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We have less than 200 points and have had many wonderful holiday. But we bank and borrow and we stay at the cheaper resorts for most of our stay and only a few nights at the more expensive ones.

The poly & riveria are quite points heavy so you may want more if you definitely want to stay there every time
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 21, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I wonder if you would be better having slightly more points and stretching them a bit more in a one bedroom at one of the cheaper points resorts?

I never normally say this (but I bet YT will be along soon with his excellent list of reasons to buy one bed rather than a studio) but you may find five in a room as the kids get bigger is a bit of a squeeze, too. We have done many holidays in a studio with four of us but when my girls got to late teens / early 20s we had a much better holiday in a one bed

Though the two bathrooms at the Poly are VERY good!

It would also mean you are keeping your 11 month advantage to a resort with greater accommodation options which would give extra flexibility. Perhaps also with a cheaper purchase price?

I absolutely adore the Poly but I could never afford the big units which basically means I have a choice of studio, or studio (and it’s points heavy).

Good luck

When we bought in in 2003 and again in 2009 I never ever would have predicted how our holidaying habits would change in the following 10-12 years, but it could be the same for you?

Edited at 02:13 AM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 21, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Can I start by asking how you have come to 200? Overkill for a studio & not enough for a one bed, not mentioning that the Poly doesn't have any. We have 175 & go for 3 weeks every other although by part cash we've actually gone every year (except last) for the last 4 or 5. Poly 139x2 =278 =+122
Riveria 123x2 = 246 = +154
TBH IMO in your shoes I would go Resale at any of the Resorts from SSR onwards, I know on paper 2054 is probably putting you off but that's 33 years years away! Even AKV at 2057 is only 9 different than the Poly. Not only are these Resorts less points to stay at but for roughly the same money you can get double the points & then the 1 beds open up! I always look at "value", you are paying a high premium to get Riveria or Poly so anytime you use your points to stay elsewhere ( a "cheaper" resort) it's less value IYKWIM.
I would sit with a bit of paper(old wayor a spreadsheet) & work out how many points is the minimum you would need, unless you plan an every year then surplus is not good value. To give you an example, we considered adding on, to go every year, the minimum points I could "get away with" was 75, by borrowing every year I would only have to miss 1 year before the end of my contract basically a holiday 32 out of 33 years !
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR

Edited at 12:09 PM.
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 21, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
TBH IMO in your shoes I would go Resale at any of the Resorts from SSR onwards,
I would give serious thought to BLT - 2060 expiry and premium location next to MK. All sizes of units in the building plus choice of standard/lake/theme park views to either stretch points or upgrade view on special occasions.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 21, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
meanwoodwhite
Excited about Disney

If your looking at Studios 200 is a bit overkill if you are going every other year you could easily survive on 150 depending on what season you go and if you really want to stay at Riviera and Poly which is really crazy expensive for studios.

For a family of 5 I'd be looking for a AKL contract to get those 1 bedroom value rooms or buy the cheapest points you can so you have enough to stay in 1 bed OKW or SS

You can always split stays with other resorts but I wouldn't want to stay in a studio for two weeks with 5. But if your fine with it who am I to stop you
meanwoodwhite is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 21, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
meanwoodwhite
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Can I start by asking how you have come to 200? Overkill for a studio & not enough for a one bed, not mentioning that the Poly doesn't have any. We have 175 & go for 3 weeks every other although by part cash we've actually gone every year (except last) for the last 4 or 5. Poly 139x2 =278 =+122
Riveria 123x2 = 246 = +154
TBH IMO in your shoes I would go Resale at any of the Resorts from SSR onwards, I know on paper 2054 is probably putting you off but that's 33 years years away! Even AKV at 2057 is only 9 different than the Poly. Not only are these Resorts less points to stay at but for roughly the same money you can get double the points & then the 1 beds open up! I always look at "value", you are paying a high premium to get Riveria or Poly so anytime you use your points to stay elsewhere ( a "cheaper" resort) it's less value IYKWIM.
I would sit with a bit of paper(old wayor a spreadsheet) & work out how many points is the minimum you would need, unless you plan an every year then surplus is not good value. To give you an example, we considered adding on, to go every year, the minimum points I could "get away with" was 75, by borrowing every year I would only have to miss 1 year before the end of my contract basically a holiday 32 out of 33 years !
SD
I got 75pts SS resale although the 50% threw me a curve ball I have banked and borrowed and got a 1 bed Jambo Value for 9 nights in Aug and first few days in Sept and will spend a the rest cash around Universal. Could have stretched more nights if I book studios but went for more comfort.

So for me 75 points seems plenty, and I don't subscribe to the mantra "buy where you want to stay" mine is buy the cheapest.

When the 7 month window opened up I could have literally stayed anywhere save beach club and Boardwalk (standard) but even so if your happy to split stay you can always bag a few nights at places like Beach club.
meanwoodwhite is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 21, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
I would give serious thought to BLT - 2060 expiry and premium location next to MK. All sizes of units in the building plus choice of standard/lake/theme park views to either stretch points or upgrade view on special occasions.
Good advice
Old 28 Mar 21, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I wonder if you would be better having slightly more points and stretching them a bit more in a one bedroom at one of the cheaper points resorts?

I never normally say this (but I bet YT will be along soon with his excellent list of reasons to buy one bed rather than a studio) but you may find five in a room as the kids get bigger is a bit of a squeeze, too. We have done many holidays in a studio with four of us but when my girls got to late teens / early 20s we had a much better holiday in a one bed

Though the two bathrooms at the Poly are VERY good!

It would also mean you are keeping your 11 month advantage to a resort with greater accommodation options which would give extra flexibility. Perhaps also with a cheaper purchase price?

I absolutely adore the Poly but I could never afford the big units which basically means I have a choice of studio, or studio (and it’s points heavy).

Good luck

When we bought in in 2003 and again in 2009 I never ever would have predicted how our holidaying habits would change in the following 10-12 years, but it could be the same for you?
Hi Karen

Yes great advice above. If I were staying in a studio, Poly would be my first choice (had one booked for Easter before I changed to VGF when I saw there was building work). It’s got 5 beds, rooms are large due to age, and 2 bathrooms. So it’s semi workable with 5 although I wouldn’t personally fancy 5 in there for more than a few nights.
Another advantage of 1 beds is 7 month availability. Different ball game to studios in usual times.
Once you get used to 1 beds you don’t fancy a studio really although the dues are twice. I know people online who have bought enough for a 1 bed and sometimes score a studio and rent the remaining points to pay all the dues- so they can get a 1 bed if they want or do that.
Believe it or not at some resorts I’ve seen better 1 bed availability at 7 months than studios at 11. I once saw this at VGF and I’ve seen it at Copper Creek. So ironically in a few rare occasions I’ve been able to stay at a resort when an owner couldn’t.
I stay at all the resorts usually no problem having paid about the same as people did at the expensive resorts to stay in a studio- my advantage is I have a much better room, my disadvantage is I pay more dues.
Old 28 Mar 21, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I hoped you’d see this