Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 10 Apr 21, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mr-paul
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
Your post says your not anti royal but by gum it reads differently. How could TV coverage make you feel less favourable to the Royal Family? They don’t have an impact on scheduling.
I have no problem with our country being a constitutional monarchy. It has little effect on my day to day life. I'm fine for it to continue, as all the ceremony etc can be quite nice, even if it is based on outdated principles.

But having every single BBC TV channel switch to just repeated coverage about Prince Philip's death is a bit too over the top. That they've decided he deserves this makes me question - why does he deserve it? Why should all programming stop for him? What is the need to have it in every channel? There's a point where it becomes too much.

I'm all for commemorating his life. He's done a lot in public service. It's just about finding the right level of it and for me, it tipped the scales a bit.
mr-paul is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

I too was surprised it covered BBC1 & 2, I expected BBC1 scheduling to move over to 2, but as others have said he was a major public figure and husband to the Queen. However, this is probably very much the protocol.

But in this day and age everyone now has freeview and it wasn’t on every single channel, so if they didn’t want to watch they could have easily found something else or turned the telly off. I ended up watching Barbie on Netflix with DD.
2026 - maybe...
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

I must admit I am a fan of the
Royal Family, but I had to watch Netflix etc rather than continual coverage of it.

I think losing my mum recently has definitely effected my reactions, but I’ve been very tearful since hearing the news (and I’m not THAT much of a royalist!) - I think it just highlights another end of an era and reminds me of what I’ve lost too, so I can’t watch the continual coverage, it’s all too much. 😢
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

BBC 4 was just not broadcasting last night at all

whats the point in that ?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

They have been playing some beautiful music on radio 2 today.
It’s a national mourning period, there are plenty of alternatives if you don’t want to watch.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I don’t know why the BBC feel that they have to broadcast from Windsor Castle, it just seems to be encouraging people to go there.

As for the coverage, I don’t mind it at all, but I could see no reason as to why they were showing exactly the same thing on BBC1 & BBC2 last night.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Finding it quite pleasant to have a day without the TV or radio on
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Yes radio 1 was very sombre
Old 11 Apr 21, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by stecee View Post
They have been playing some beautiful music on radio 2 today.
It’s a national mourning period, there are plenty of alternatives if you don’t want to watch.
I disagree... we were on a long car journey and the music made it drag on. We tried other stations but it was all lift music. We felt all weekend was too long.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
I’m fine with the coverage 👍 it’s a way of showing respect, it’s a way of matching the mood of the country.
Controversial thought ... is it matching to the mood of the country, or telling the country what to think?

My son is completely bemused by it all. He is anti monarchy and detests being told what to think by mainstream TV. This applies to covid too.!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List