Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Apr 21, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Level 3 Electrical Installation v Engineering

We have some decisions to make with my son regarding his next year at college and I’m so stuck with my decision. As we have so many people on the DIBB with different qualifications/skills/jobs and great advice I thought I would ask on here for a different perspective. We are a ‘trade’ family so I think sometimes our views can be skewed from our livelihood and experiences.

My 16 year old has spent this last year at college doing his Level 2 in Electrical Installation. He has completed and passed all of the theory and is now working to complete the practical (they are a bit behind due to lockdown and isolations - 12 weeks missed workshop time). He has applied for Level 3 Electrical and he will be accepted onto the course. He is currently unsure whether he wants to continue with Electrical or whether to change to Engineering Level 3 which is a 2 year course. They like them to have an apprenticeship alongside the Level 3 but that is hard to find at the moment as there are none available locally, only a few in Central/South London which I don’t like the idea of, and many won’t take him on until he is 18 due to site regulations/health and safety/insurance and he won’t turn 18 until next summer after completing the L3. As a parent (he’s my fourth child) I don’t feel that he is ready for a full time job/apprenticeship working in Central London yet, and would rather he stay in college another year or 2 while he can. The kids have had a crap year or 2 education wise and socially due to COVID.

For some background, he is one of the youngest in the year so another 2 years at college is no issue. He is very quiet/shy, more ‘academic’ than ‘practical’ so has excelled at the theory gaining the highest marks in the class but is among the slowest when it comes to practical skills. He can do it, he is just slower and cautious/methodical and not as confident as some of the lads.

He is hoping that the engineering qualification will have more Maths (his passion) and science based theory and be a broader subject which can lead to a wider range of apprenticeships or avenues to explore with more emphasis on using his brain than his hands, so to speak. He has spoken to his college, as have I. There is only so much information you can get at the moment and there is currently no option to ‘see’ what the Engineering course is about due to COVID. You have to enrol and go in blind really (as with all courses right now).

I have an opinion on the matter but am not sure if it is ‘right’. Thank you for reading. What advice, if any would you give?
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

I’m not an authority on all of this, but have had some experience via my DH, over the years.
My DH was a firefighter and qualified as an electrician, up to level 2 alongside his employment To complete the level 3 qualification you need the experience of working as an electrician, you can’t do it just as a college course. So my DH took a job as an electrician and continued as a retained Firefighter.

Fast forward 8 years, and my DH took a job as an Electrical trainer assessor at the local college. He sounds similar to your son, as in doesn’t really enjoy the “house bashing” side of the job, but is very methodical and good at retaining information and doing intricate jobs and problem solving.

For his students going from level 2 to level 3 they had a list of local employers to help out those who didn’t have apprenticeships or employment. The college will be working with a number of electricians as the students work needs to be assessed. So has he asked the college for any leads?

My DH has since completed an HNC and HND in Electrical engineering. He said his experience working as an electrician was invaluable when it came to completing those courses on day release. The students that, dropped out, were those that didn’t have relevant ongoing experience.

That was a long post to say, I think it would be beneficial for your son to become fully qualified in Electrical Installation up to level 3. Ask the college to recommend employers who might be able to offer relevant local experience to complete the course.

This puts him in a good position for future employment, and plenty of time to do Engineering following on.
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

I should have added, my DH now works as an Electrical Engineer at a University. Don’t rule out less obvious places for employment. The estates department have a team of electricians and take on level 2 improvers and allow day release to obtain level 3.
They also currently have a mechanical Engineering apprentice who started his HNC this year.
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Gull
Imagineer

Has he thought about a career at sea ? You can do electro-technical or marine engineering.
DS is in his last few months of an electrical engineer cadetship with P&O/Cunard - some companies take them on at 16. Part college part and part sea time each year. DS particularly hated the Maths part 😄
Gull is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gull View Post
Has he thought about a career at sea ? You can do electro-technical or marine engineering.
DS is in his last few months of an electrical engineer cadetship with P&O/Cunard - some companies take them on at 16. Part college part and part sea time each year. DS particularly hated the Maths part 😄
We were speaking to some of the cadets last year, seemed like an excellent scheme.

If I had a son I’d encourage it for the Family perks
Old 20 Apr 21, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Gull
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pinkbelle View Post
We were speaking to some of the cadets last year, seemed like an excellent scheme.

If I had a son I’d encourage it for the Family perks
Yes ! 😄 I’m disappointed I can’t make use of the discounts we could get on the UK staycation cruises due to their vaccination policy ☹️
Gull is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gull View Post
Yes ! 😄 I’m disappointed I can’t make use of the discounts we could get on the UK staycation cruises due to their vaccination policy ☹️
But think of the wonderful cruises in your future

I do have a couple of summer cruises booked, as I felt safe due to the vaccination policy. Will be so good to be back on board.
Old 20 Apr 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

One of our sons is a engineering and loves it he’s currently designing a project for a major company
The other untill an accident ended his career was an overheads lines man again loved it
Both did the same foundation courses just choose different routes at the end of it
Good luck,to,him what ever way he goes
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

My DS went to Uni to do Physics and astronomy, he dropped out after 2 years, it just wasn't him. Roll on 2 years and he has an entry level job in medical physics and is loving it and is being sponsored through HND whilst working.
I guess what I am saying is there is more than one way to get where you want.
In Scotland there are a lot of engineering type modern apprenticeships within the NHS, is there aything like that near you?
Old 20 Apr 21, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My son is 18, and like your son the youngest in his year.

He went straight into a apprenticeship at a engineering firm, doing 1 day per week in college ( which he hated but stuck it out ) then 4 days working ,

My son changed jobs recently and that involves working away sometimes , his first week away was 240 miles away in Yeovil,

I was a little concerned when he told me , but he drove himself there and back managed all week to feed himself etc..
With both of mine whilst I’ve offered advice , the choice of what path to take has ultimately come down to them,
What is your concerns about him working in central London doing a apprenticeship ?
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List