Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Apr 21, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

How best to re-home a cat

Very sadly my sister passed away at Christmas leaving behind her very handsome cat. He has been living with my parents temporarily but they can no longer keep him, for a variety of reasons- none of them to do with him personally.
How would it be best to go about reforming him? We don’t want to advertise on Facebook etc as I know there are some horrid people out there who look for cats for awful reasons. He was a rescue cat and has some sort of illness (I’m not sure what and am trying to find out) but doesn’t require medication or lots of trips to the vet. He’s always been an indoor cat as he was kept in poor conditions initially and then was kept indoors for 2 years while the case against the man who owned him went to court. My sister adopted him at that point and built him an outside enclosure as she was worried he would not manage with more freedom. He’s a blue (or maybe lilac!) British short hair and I think would make a lovely pet for someone but I have no idea how to go go about it. Any ideas?
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Contact your local animal shelter
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

I am sorry for your loss. Is there a Cats Protection in your area? Their website is cats.uk and they are experts in rehoming cats and matching them with the right families for them. You are doing exactly the right thing by avoiding public forums.

Edited at 10:31 AM.
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Always go through a charity as they vet the new owners, and make sure he doesn't fall into the wrong hands! Also if a breed check the British short hair association, many have their own rescue? They are experienced with the breed. 😁
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by PerksP View Post
I am sorry for your loss. Is there a Cats Protection in your area? Their website is cats.uk and they are experts in rehoming cats and matching them with the right families for them. You are doing exactly the right thing by avoiding public forums.
I don't know the first thing about cats, but my DSIL gets all hers via the Cats Protection League and wouldn't go anywhere else. I agree about the matching with the right owner. The last one she had to wait while they got an estimate from the vet for how much his ongoing bills would be before she agreed to take him. They are very thorough.
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

If he was rescued initially, he needs to go back to the original rescue he was adopted from. Most rescues have this in their adoption agreements.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

I believe the contract on first refusal to the original rescue usually has a time lapse - mine says first two years and really is only because they want to stop people selling onwards. Also this contract is with the original owner - so in this case I think you don’t need to worry about this but they obviously would be a good place to call if you know which organisation they were.

Edited at 10:55 AM.
Disney Bear is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Phone your local vet they will have a list of credible re-homing charities.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Agreed, go through a registered rescue charity rather than offering directly to people. If you don't know which one he was originally adopted from (sounds like they should know his background, which could be important for rehoming) then either contact your local vet for a list of local charities or go straight to CPL.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

Thanks all, it’s really important to us that he gets a loving home and amongst everything else we are dealing with following her passing this feels like the most difficult to sort out. I’ll do some digging and see if I can find out where he came from although it was 7 years ago now so may not be relevant I guess. We’ve never had cats before so it’s all a bit alien to us really and I think logic goes out of the window a bit in stressful times. Your advice is much appreciated x
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List