Old 21 Jul 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The Big Apple - with no kids! Nov 2018 - Day 1

Day 1 - Top of the Rock, 9/11 memorial, Bryant Park, Grand Central

I woke up a few times in the night, i'm not the best sleeper in the world as it is, so even worse on holiday with jetlag kicking in. Think I caved in and got up at about 6am. I opened the curtains to have a look as we didn't bother last night and had a wonderful view of the Chrysler Building, the city was just waking up and people were starting their day, it was still really quiet though! Craig woke up just after me, and I facetimed my mum to check the kids got off to school ok.

We left the hotel at around 7.30am, and popped into the CVS store that was round the corner to get a drink each as neither of us were very hungry and we had planned to go to the Tik Tok diner for brunch. We really enjoyed walking around the city and seeing places we recognised from the news and from TV & film, loved seeing Pershing Sq restaurant which is opposite Grand Central Station as was in the film Friends with benefits.

We Saw the signs for Fifth Ave, Park Ave, all wich made me smile a little because I never thought I would get the chance to come here and go down them!

We headed down towards Fifth Ave to do the Top of the Rock at the Rockerfella Centre. I had bought the New York Explorer Pass from Attraction Tickets direct before we travelled, it cost us £65 each and we could visit 4 out of 50 top attractions in the city, which we were happy with as included all the places we wanted to visit.

They we're e-tickets so I had the email print out, and we took it to the desk in the ticket area where they scanned the email and exchanged it for actual paper tickets. We then went to the top, stopping for a photo opportunity half way up. We went just before they put the tree up and a few of the staff members had said it was a good time to come because as soon as the tree goes up the crowds get crazy. We we're a little but gutted as have wanted to see the tree since Home Alone 2 but I only realised it wouldn't be there a few weeks before we went. Never mind

We got to the top and the views were amazing, I couldn't believe the contrast from one side to the other. One side the sun was just breaking through, the other it was cloudy with some sun trying to break though.

You could see so much, we spent about an hour up there looking around and spotting what we could see, it was fantastic and something I've always wanted to do! I could see the SoL but couldn't believe how small it looked! We finished up and have a look in the little gift shop and bough a few fridge magnets and a postcard for our collection. I cant remember the price. We made our way down in the lifts and have a look around the Rockerfella Plaza, the ice rink was starting to get busy too. We made out way out, it was now 9.15 and we had a walk around see what we could find, we came across this wall which was a fountain in a littlr courtyard, with these statues. We kept walking and walked across Broadway and towards Penn Station, the Tik Tock Diner next to the New Yorker hotel was our destination.

(Stolen from google!)

It was 10.20 when we got there and it was busy but we were seated straight away, and I ordered a cheese and Bacon grill cheese with fries, Craig had am Italian omelette. I didn't take pictures as we were both so hungry we ate it in about 3 mins lol. I had 2 cups of tea, Craig a coffee and it came to $41, we left $50. Food was good and tasty, would visit here again, service was a little slow but it was quite busy and we were in no rush.

So, sitting on the table across from us, there was a fella who I really recognised, took a sneaky picture, and sent it to my sister, to see if it was who I thought it was... turns out it was one of my sisters old friends who was out there for his girlfriend. She text him to say I can see you and sent him the picture, he was looking around for her and then spotted me and started laughing, he popped over for a chat, what a small world!

We left there and walked over to Penn Station, where we were getting the train down to the 9/11 memorial, another place on our to do list and was included in our attraction passes. We topped up our metro cards with $20 each, it's really easy to do on the machines, and very similar to topping up the Oyster cards in London. We used the Metropolitan Transit Authority website to help plan our metro journeys, it was really simple and easy to use.

An English man was there asking us how to use the machine, he asked us when we got there and he said he got there the same night but flew from Gatwick with Norwegian, we said we flew from Heathrow as it was closer, and they we're actually from Denham which is just down the road from us in Hillingdon! Another small world meeting!

We got the downtown train from 34th & Penn to Fulton St towards the 9/11 memorial. The train came really quickly, and was our first experience of beggers on the metro. I didn't feel threatened but can see why others would, especially if on their own. But i'm used to the tube in London with it's fair few oddballs. The journey took about 15 mins and was a 4 min walk down to the memorial site. We had a walk around the memorial pools, and looked at the survivor tree, and just stood silently taking it all in.

For me, it's one of those places I needed to visit, much like Auchwitz and Pearl Harbour (soon hopefully!) Plus Craig was in the Royal Navy when it happened and he was immidently deployed to the Gulf so it impacted him. We had to queue for about 30 mins to exchange our passes for tickets. Once inside we queued for the video showing, which was incredibly sad, and then took it at our own pace, rather than go with a group. I found the whole thing so sad, and spent a lot of time sitting down and reflecting on everything. We we're in there for a good few hours.

One thing that really annoyed me was parents who brought younger children who were running round, and people taking smiley happy selfies. It's just disrespectful and if my kids behaved like that, well they just wouldn't!

We left after an emotional & thought provoking few hours, and walked through the new Westfield shopping centre, which is beautiful as it's built like a dove looking on towards the memorial pools. It only opened a few weeks before we visited.

It was pouring down now and Craig had a wonderful idea that we should go and find the Friends building and facetime the kids who were obsessed with the show, I cant remember what station we went to, left it to Craig to find! We managed to find it and soaking wet we called the kids who were made up, so it was worth it in the end.

We got the train back uptown towards the hotel, and stopped for a drink at the Capital Grill was was about a 5 min walk from our hotel, this was more upmarket than we are used to and I think it was $16 doe a bottle of coors light and a pint of Peroni Wont be going there again! We popped into CVS for some munch & soft drinks, and headed to the hotel to dry off and have a rest, my feet were killing me! We both fell asleep, and woke up about 8pm, feeling really hungry as we hadn't really eaten much and hadn't eaten since lunch.

We got sorted and walked down to Bryant Park, passing the New York public library on the way. I absolutely loved the plaques on the sidewalk, called the library walk. The kids would love to see these and read them along the way!

I was expecting a little bit more but most stalls were closed and the ice rink was full of water because of the rain. It was nice to see all the Christmas lights twinkling away though.

So we had a mooch to Grand Central to have a look and also see what we could get to eat. It's such a grand building! I couldn't believe how big it was, and how many platforms it had! 44 in total

We we're so tired and not really feeling a sit down meal, so we walked down to the Shake Shack around the corner from the hotel, we've not eaten here before so I was interested to try! I had the butter chicken burger, Craig had a mushroom swiss burger and we had some of their fab crinkle fries, plus 2 refill drinks. Burgers were really tasty, but I cant remember the price!

We headed back to the hotel via the Starbucks for an evening cuppa and we settled in bed with tea, some chocolate and watching The Good Place on Netflix! All in all a good day, 18567 steps done, and we we're both shattered, we will sleep so well tonight!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
maudyhill
VIP Dibber

maudyhill's Reviews
hi there
really enjoyed reading... we fly out on friday so getting very excited.
Its a return trip for us, last there 2016. We will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. Did all the sight last time so looking forward to a slower pace.
looking forward to the next installment.

Mandy xx
Best Western ID 1994, DLP Santa Fe 2004, Quailty inn plaza ID 2008
Emerald Island Kissimmee 2011 , San Francisco / yosemite 2012
Emerald island Kissimmee 2013, Esprit estate Davenport 2015, new york 2016, Emerald Island Kissimmee 2017, San fran, LA & Vegas 2018, Newyork 7/2019, Emerald Island 10/2019, HighGrove 03/2022, Thousand Oaks 11/2022
maudyhill is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Busy day!

We also facetimed our DS from outside the Friends building!
Old 15 Sep 19, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Great first day x
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Fab first day. Bringing back lots of wonderful memories looking at your photos! Would love to go back around Christmas time to see the tree

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by maudyhill View Post
hi there
really enjoyed reading... we fly out on friday so getting very excited.
Its a return trip for us, last there 2016. We will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. Did all the sight last time so looking forward to a slower pace.
looking forward to the next installment.
Thank you for reading! I hope you had a lovely time in NYC, it really has taken a piece of my heart!

NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Busy day!

We also facetimed our DS from outside the Friends building!
Haha mine weren't impressed! Mind you neither was I by this point as I was soaked and forgot my brolly, just wanted to get under cover!

Thanks for reading!

Old 18 Sep 19, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Fab first day. Bringing back lots of wonderful memories looking at your photos! Would love to go back around Christmas time to see the tree
I don't think I could go any other time of year, might just time it better to see the tree next time though! Thanks for reading!

Originally Posted by darbs View Post
Great first day x
Thanks! It was a fab day, exhausting, emotional, but utterly brilliant!