Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 21 Jul 19, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstenjet
VIP Dibber

Bear Bums and Dino Bones Road Trip Day 4 - Is that a bison I see before me?

Day 4 - Is that a bison I see before me?

Up and out by 6.30am, time dictated by the free breakfast starting at 6am, ready for the long drive ahead. I'd been warned petrol stops are be few and far between on this journey, so our first break is to fill up the car and it turns out we're next to the refinery that makes it. The town, the refinery and petrol station is called Sinclar and the mascot is a green dinosaur. And it had a gift shop! Tshirt with cute dinos purchased and we were back on the road.

The scenery had been fascinating but when we got off the motorway it just got better and more diverse.

We stopped at a historical marker and got greeted by our first pronghorn of the holiday.

Few miles on another historical marker tells we're going through Ice Slough and we can see why it's called that! It's bizarre to see the temp drop and ice appear when the weather hadn't changed nor the elevation.

Another quick stop in Lander for coffee and a doughnots at Crux Coffee, mainly as they had a loo and wifi (drinking so much water due to elevation makes life interesting over long distances!)

Then on to Dubois for lunch at the Cowboy Cafe. Dubois was fanastic, it had wooden boardworks instead of pavement like something out of a cowboy film with wooden buidlings. Lunch didn't disappoint either!

Another tshirt stop at the Jackalope travel shop.

Driving out of Dubois the scenery changed again as we started to climb up. There was much squealing and excitement at the big lit up sign at the road side that said "Bears on roadside ahead do not leave car" and I think that distracted me going over Togtwotee Pass as the height andbarely registered. It was all just so beautiful (the drops being on the other side of the road didn't hurt either!)
We looked and looked but nope, no bears, though we did see a deer with tiny new born fawn and a mountain bluebird.
Then in front of us were the Grand Tetons mountain range and they blew away everything we'd seen so far.

We weren't long in the national park before we saw people pulled over and there they were, bison! They were quite a away off but it still wonderful to see them for the first time in the wild.

Next stop Snake River Overlook pull out, which is one of the most famous parts of the Grand Tetons.

We finished our drive through the park to where we were staying in Jackson at the Ranch Inn. The hotel is on the cheaper side for the area (if you can call $220 cheap!) and it's a little dated but everything was spotlessly clean and quite comfortable. Anywhere else this would be a $60 hotel.

Jackson wasn't quite what I thought it would be, it had the typical western town look I was starting to recognise but this one was touristy. As it's known for being the most expensive place to live in America even over New York I was expecting something a little less tacky I guess. We had a look round the shops and boy were they're some nice prices. One shop had a meteroite on a metal stand for $300,000!

We tried going in Jackson Drugstore for dinner, a replicated soda fountain type burger and milkshake place, but after waiting over 10 mins for anyone to come over to seat us we gave up. We could see available tables but also see the girls serving chatting at the other end of it, who looked at us and kept chatting. We ended up in an old cinema that had been turned in to a pizza place. It didnt have much better service but we did get food and it was good when it eventually arrived.

Another early night back at hotel ready to be up and out at day break.

Day 5 Land Of Lakes & Mountains

Edited at 12:58 AM.
kirstenjet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Am loving your reports. You've done so well to do all the driving and keep your eyes on the road! It looks to be a wonderful adventure.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 02:28 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

We found Jackson a strange place - the rodeo was fun though! Your trip looks great so far
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Gosh the beware of bears thing would freak me out a bit! Glad you not camping here!

Looks beautiful so far.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 24, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Loving the mountain pictures!
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List