Old 25 Jun 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
Wow, this place looks amazing! I've added it to my bookmarks immediately We are hoping to squeeze a visit to Colmar and perhaps Strasbourg, if only for a quick bite to eat - I think we can tempt my cheese and olives loving daughter away from the theme/water park for a few hours
Colmar looks a good shout, I hadn't noticed it was so close to Europa Park. We love Rothenburg (ob de Tauber) in Germany which is similarly picture perfect with that style of houses albeit it has a famous wall instead of canals!
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Colmar looks a good shout, I hadn't noticed it was so close to Europa Park. We love Rothenburg (ob de Tauber) in Germany which is similarly picture perfect with that style of houses albeit it has a famous wall instead of canals!
There's a lot to see and do in the area. Unfortunately, we are restricted with our dates and while I hesitated to book, the flights have more or less doubled in price This should have been a reasonably cheap week away, so now I'm forced to weigh up our options...
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Mobile

There's a lot to see and do in the area. Unfortunately, we are restricted with our dates and while I hesitated to book, the flights have more or less doubled in price This should have been a reasonably cheap week away, so now I'm forced to weigh up our options...
Are you planning to hire a car locally? As you said before there's a lot of airport options depending on how far you want to drive (or train). Fingers crossed the flight prices move around some more or something else comes up as a deal

Part of my cost case for driving is a booze purchase saving to last the next 2-3 years
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Are you planning to hire a car locally? As you said before there's a lot of airport options depending on how far you want to drive (or train). Fingers crossed the flight prices move around some more or something else comes up as a deal

Part of my cost case for driving is a booze purchase saving to last the next 2-3 years
We planned on flying into Basel and hiring a car, but if prices don't come down, we may have to look at alternatives. I've looked at some other theme parks in the Netherlands - some look okay, but I suppose we have hearts set on Europa park.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Mobile

We planned on flying into Basel and hiring a car, but if prices don't come down, we may have to look at alternatives. I've looked at some other theme parks in the Netherlands - some look okay, but I suppose we have hearts set on Europa park.
Fingers crossed it works out for you, Germany you might find the hire car is cheaper from Stuttgart which I know is a little further.

Meantime I'll also add our next set of restaurant plans on here later this week
Old 3 Jul 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Fingers crossed it works out for you, Germany you might find the hire car is cheaper from Stuttgart which I know is a little further.

Meantime I'll also add our next set of restaurant plans on here later this week
Thank you, I hope it does. Look forward to reading more about your trip.
Old 7 Jul 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
carrying on with Dining plans having done days 1-3 a couple of pages back

Day 4: DLP to Europa Park

Hotel/guest house breakfast to start the day as we check out (unless it's been terrible for the last 2 days in which case we might skip). Need to drive a few hours across from central France to the German border so we'll set out relatively early and maybe lunch at Plombieres-les-bains if we decide to stop at that spa I mentioned.

This place looks like a possible for post-spa eats Brasserie le Square highly rated and has to be worth a punt if it also looks alright/popular from the street
This shot of the dessert offering should be enough to convince DD

As well as the spa Plombieres-les-bains (does that really translate as Plumbers the Baths ) also has a miniature village thing and mini-golf so we'll see how we're feeling but may linger here a bit longer or switch between those, time and weather depending.

Intention is to check into our teepee at Europa Park before dinner and then we'll go for dinner. Haen't quite decided if that will be on or offsite just yet. They have a very fancy (1 Michelin star) tasting menu place called Ammolite - the Restaurant in one of the onsite hotels. I'll be honest I could definitely have gone for this but it's:
1) way out of budget and
2) not that sort of trip.

Plus DW would have killed me when she saw the photos so instead we might go to the more prosaic Silver Lake Saloon which is the campsite's main restaurant
Hoop de doo Revuecowboyshowen

...but this is the breakfast place and we've three of those so we may go somewhere else onsite like Captain's Finest

As the menu excerpt shows this is significantly less Captain Birdseye than the name may suggest, not as fancy as the Michelin place but for a quick pasta main and a dessert it may well be the choice. Full menus and food pictures will of course be included with the main report

This appears to be Yachtsman's Steakhouse-esque in a Yacht and Beach Club-esque hotel (the Bell Rock) and it will be very interesting to compare both the quality and the prices with the Orlando places (I haven't been to the closest DLP equivalents if they exist).

So that's Day 4. Should be good, I have high hopes for Day 4.

Day 5 Europa Park

Breakfast is included at the camp so it's teepee then Hoop dee Nein Saloon. Suspiciously I can't find any pictures of the 'sumptuous buffet' online but I imagine pork will be heavily involved so it's fine.

Then we're off into the park for a bit of early access and hopefully a long old day of fun with a tonne of new stuff to see and ride. For lunch I'm considering the SWR Rock Cafe which looks like a cute diner and burgers place

I haven't worked out if you can book it yet because it looks the sort of place that will be obscenely popular. There's loads of restaurants in Europa Park and most seem to be QS so fairly relaxed about this. They also have a place that delivers the food on rails which is tempting but...a bit of a gimmick. We may pop in for photos though.
Gromit! It's given me peas again. I don't like peas Gromit

For dinner I figured we might pop out into Rust or Colmar but we're equally likely to eat on the go in the park and crash out. DD isn't big into the Halloween scare stuff which they have a lot of so we may end up leaving early evening for that (and it's ticketed/not clear if we could stay anyway). We'll wing this one for once

Day 6 - Europa Park

Breakfast at the campsite and a variety of QS possibles for lunch. With the emphasis here on rides I'm definitely up for QS and there's a few shortlisted including:
Intrigued, yes. Scared, maybe?

Look how happy these folks are at Walter's Sausage Booth

As tempting as Walter's sounds the food reviewer in me says it may have to be the Russian place to CMAK my chips up as the Prodigy might have sung if they ever did an ad.

As it's our last night at Europa Park and there's a long drive the next day a dinner at Silver Lake Saloon/Hoop Ze Doo is probably the sensible move.
Can I see the Vegan menu please

Aside from another cowboy breakfast that's it for the EuropaPark dining. Will pick up later to round this off on Days 7-10. I also need to buy some DLP tickets.

Edited at 07:56 PM.
Old 7 Jul 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Am I the only weirdo for wanting desperately to see what’s on offer at Walters sausage emporium?

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pez01 View Post
Am I the only weirdo for wanting desperately to see what’s on offer at Walters sausage emporium?
Well there's the official answer. From the website:

At ‘Walters Wurst Bude’ you can choose between Walters Urwurst (bratwurst based on the original recipe of the former supplier Walter Börschig - anno 1975), as well as mild or spicy Currywurst. Available at Walters Sausages are also Poutine, Chili-Cheese Fries, Pulled Pork Fries and Eulenstein's Flieger Fries with sour cream, tomato salsa and guacamole.

The recipe for the original sausage comes from Walter Börschig, one of the first suppliers of Europa-Park, and is still produced by the top butcher Franz Winterhalter GmbH for Germany's largest themepark.

Unofficially, word is that Walter and team hand out 6-12 inches to anyone who'll throw them a few Euro, condiments are included

Much as I love a currywurst I'm pretty sure I won't be getting anything with guacamole from a sausage stand, not sure what part of the pig that comes from
Old 9 Aug 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Bought the DLP tickets this morning, 2x 2 day adult parkhoppers totalling £284. I've updated the budget tracking post (no.11 in the thread), the trip is now at @£2011 and relative costs of the 3 legs are:

DLP £542
EuropaPark £518
Efteling £646

That's with a decent offsite hotel for DLP, onsite camping at EuropaPark and the onsite hotel at Efteling.

Will update the final section of dining plans soon