Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 26 Jun 19, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Think I remember showing my passport at a Service desk at a Shopping Mall to get the tax back,you have to show your receipts
Just go on Sky scanner for flights, it’s short flight 1hr 30 or so, most flights get you to New Orleans just after lunch, we parked at MCO for 4 days too, really easy to do.

Edited at 06:40 AM.
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunny1 View Post
Karen can you tell me where you looked for flights please and also any restaurants that I should research
Thank you 😊
I will post my short list later! (It’s not very short )

Our hotel is also in the CBD

I always use Google flights / Skyscanner etc to find flights. I got some flying from my local airport (one mile away from my house) via Manchester & Atlanta. The flight times are great for me and saves the cost and hassle of getting to Heathrow - which can be a pain from Devon.

Edited at 08:30 AM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

restaurants - gumbo shop in the french quarter is amazing for some reasonably priced local food! Not been, but for something more fancy try commanders in the Garden district.

Beyond Bourbon Street is a podcast that is very useful for planning trips to New Orleans
tiggertastic is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Our hotel is also in the CBD
Anybody with a car should compare parking garage rates especially if staying in CBD hotels.
FQ hotels mostly use valet only parking. They typically whizz your car across Canal Street into CBD garages.
We stayed at a Hampton Inn & Suites in CBD next to a parking garage.
Through the hotel it was $30 per 24 hrs for self-parking. If you paid in the same car park they had a special rate of $12, or you could pay $20 for 48hrs.
Instead of $150 plus hotel taxes and fees we only paid $52 total.
CBD hotels can be quiet at week-ends and have offers. FQ hotels tend not to have parking offers.

Walking back to some CBD hotels can be very quiet late at night depending where they are.
Hampton isn't so bad as it's not far from Canal Street.
Once you cross Canal everybody disappears including the police.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
traceyt
Imagineer

I visited 2 plantation houses last time I was there - Laura and Whitney. Both amazing, took a full day to do them both though.
Old 26 Jun 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sunny1
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
I would go the extra night and do 4, especially if you're going to have a late night or two and need to take a day easy. And I will always say Frenchman Street > Bourbon Street unless you're in hen/stag/mardi gras mode

Oh and restaurant-wise, GW Fins
can i ask do you mean avoid frenchman and bourbon street ? is it ok in the afternoon we don't plan on staying out all hours
sunny1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Anybody with a car should compare parking garage rates especially if staying in CBD hotels.
FQ hotels mostly use valet only parking. They typically whizz your car across Canal Street into CBD garages.
We stayed at a Hampton Inn & Suites in CBD next to a parking garage.
Through the hotel it was $30 per 24 hrs for self-parking. If you paid in the same car park they had a special rate of $12, or you could pay $20 for 48hrs.
Instead of $150 plus hotel taxes and fees we only paid $52 total.
CBD hotels can be quiet at week-ends and have offers. FQ hotels tend not to have parking offers.

Walking back to some CBD hotels can be very quiet late at night depending where they are.
Hampton isn't so bad as it's not far from Canal Street.
Once you cross Canal everybody disappears including the police.
We are not getting a car but good advice otherwise. Our hotel is by Mother’s (which seems to be a place people know where it is?). If it’s really quiet I’ll get Ubers if I’m worried about safety, but I’ve not yet met a city which worries me (assuming wits are about me!)
Old 26 Jun 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

can i ask do you mean avoid frenchman and bourbon street ? is it ok in the afternoon we don't plan on staying out all hours
I read it as Frenchman before Bourbon (ie Frenchman is preferable).
Old 26 Jun 19, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

This thread is useful - thank you! We're off to New Orleans for 3 full days as part of a longer trip next April. We'll be joining a 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise from NOLA afterwards.

Definitely looking for top tips, especially if anyone has travelled with a young (ish - he keeps getting older!) child. Our son will be 8 at the time.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

Absolutely do not avoid frenchman Street! It's fab and some fab live music there.
tiggertastic is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List