Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Jul 19, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Not to LA ...sorry. The place is just one big car park. We were only able to see a fraction of the things we wanted to because of the time taken to get anywhere. I think you’d have to be realistic and choose you location well to accommodate everything you want to do.
Old 19 Jul 19, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gillybean08 View Post
Ooh thank you! I feel a lot more confident booking it now, just looking for an amazing deal with Virgin or B.A but up to now it's working out cheaper to go DIY. Somebody did suggest splitting the days and doing 3 nights Burbank or Sunset strip area and 2 nights in Santa Monica, we won't be driving but are happy to plan ahead and use various public transport.
How will you get around? The city is so vast I can,t Imagine not having a car.
Sorry to sound like a Debbie Downer but I absolutely hated the place and will never return.
Old 19 Jul 19, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
Last year we flew out to LA for three nights in April to watch our son compete in the finals of Battlebots (he made it through to the final eight and won the Founders' Award, the best ever European team). We had a fantastic time, we went out to the beach, did some shopping, were filmed and interviewed for the Discovery Channel (OK so not everyone will do that!) and generally had a wonderful time.
Jet lag was no problem as we weren't out there long enough to adjust - we just stayed up really late the first time and were back to normal 24 hours after getting home.
This year we went over for the whole filming then had a bit of a road trip so were over for nearly three weeks, but I'd happily have gone over for a long weekend again if that was the only option!
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Gillybean08
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
How will you get around? The city is so vast I can,t Imagine not having a car.
Sorry to sound like a Debbie Downer but I absolutely hated the place and will never return.
I don't drive so a car hire is not an option but the plan is

2 nights at Marina Del Ray or Santa Monica. Arrival day, check in and bus to Downtown and have a look around.

Day 1, early morning jog and then rent bikes and do some of the Marvin Braude bike path and just stop and sight see/eat where we want.

Day 2, walk along beach front, get breakfast and then check into hotel 2 (Orlando hotel or similar) West Hollywood area and spend day at The Grove and Farmers Market. Visit UCLA

Day 3, Check into hotel 3 (Hilton, Universal City or similar) and head to Universal for day then Griffith Observatory on the evening.

Day 4, Early start at the Warner Bros Studio Tour then head to Citadel Outlets (open until 9p.m) to spend any last shopping money.

Day 5, check out early, leave bags with reception and visit Walk of Fame and any other last minute must sees, maybe walk around Beverley Hills/Rodeo Drive.

This is just the idea so far, the transport options don't seem to bad on google maps and there's always Uber if all else fails
Gillybean08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Gillybean08
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by folkie View Post
Last year we flew out to LA for three nights in April to watch our son compete in the finals of Battlebots (he made it through to the final eight and won the Founders' Award, the best ever European team). We had a fantastic time, we went out to the beach, did some shopping, were filmed and interviewed for the Discovery Channel (OK so not everyone will do that!) and generally had a wonderful time.
Jet lag was no problem as we weren't out there long enough to adjust - we just stayed up really late the first time and were back to normal 24 hours after getting home.
This year we went over for the whole filming then had a bit of a road trip so were over for nearly three weeks, but I'd happily have gone over for a long weekend again if that was the only option!
That sounds amazing! Well done to your son, you must have been very proud!
Thank you, it's great to hear jetlag was not a huge problem. We managed fine on our short trip to New York, I actually had it far worse on our return from 3 weeks in Orlando the previous year. I think your right, if you don't adjust it doesn't affect you as much on your return
Gillybean08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
That sounds amazing! Well done to your son, you must have been very proud!
We are, very proud indeed
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I don't drive so a car hire is not an option but the plan is

2 nights at Marina Del Ray or Santa Monica. Arrival day, check in and bus to Downtown and have a look around.

Day 1, early morning jog and then rent bikes and do some of the Marvin Braude bike path and just stop and sight see/eat where we want.

Day 2, walk along beach front, get breakfast and then check into hotel 2 (Orlando hotel or similar) West Hollywood area and spend day at The Grove and Farmers Market. Visit UCLA

Day 3, Check into hotel 3 (Hilton, Universal City or similar) and head to Universal for day then Griffith Observatory on the evening.

Day 4, Early start at the Warner Bros Studio Tour then head to Citadel Outlets (open until 9p.m) to spend any last shopping money.

Day 5, check out early, leave bags with reception and visit Walk of Fame and any other last minute must sees, maybe walk around Beverley Hills/Rodeo Drive.

This is just the idea so far, the transport options don't seem to bad on google maps and there's always Uber if all else fails
I’m not sure Uber would be that cheap you’re likely to be sat in traffic a lot ..

We drive around all those areas a lot and it’s rarely a quick drive anywhere .

I went from the walk of fame to rodeo drive and it took about 45 mins to do the 5 miles or so

The grove I like but you don’t really need a full day to it .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
Not to LA ...sorry. The place is just one big car park. We were only able to see a fraction of the things we wanted to because of the time taken to get anywhere. I think you’d have to be realistic and choose you location well to accommodate everything you want to do.
I agree . I think it’s difficult to imagine how bad the traffic can be , but a simple 5 mile journey often takes a hour
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

For me no way!
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

OP what time do you land on arrival day? Downtown is a long way from Marina Del Ray or SM, I wouldn’t sit in a bus for minimum 90 minutes each way after a long flight. Additionally you need a plan in downtown. There is lots to do, I could easily spend 3 or 4 full days there BUT you need an itinerary you can’t wander around really without having fonecresearch on the area. It’s not Time Square and it’s not the centre of the city. It has come on a lot in the last decade, new business and museums but it’s still a area with mostly offices so it gets deserted quickly after 5pm and there are area you don’t want to walk in which I why I’m a bit concerned about your plan to have a mooch after your flight which would be getting late.

Relying on Uber/Lyft you need to change hotels which you’re doing 👍 That should prevent any crazy long Uber rides and the Orlando hotel puts you walking distance to the Grove and Beverly Center. As long avoid commute hours an Uber should be fine from there to Beverly Hills/Hollywood and you can use the red line from Hollywood to get downtown which I would do. The Grove is not an all day place but there’s plenty near it, 3 museums!, Melrose shopping, a park...

Edited at 07:01 PM.
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List