Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Dec 17, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

Tell me about economy on BA

Has anyone recently flown with Ba? Can you tell me what the service was like? Do they offer a drink service like VA and wine with your meal? What was recent menu?

For all of you that have been VA fans for years how have you found going by Ba?

Is there also such a thing as another dibbers row or preferred seating?
Been looking at flights and i have always flown virgin but if the price is right !

Sorry for so many questions
Thanks
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
TBH we haven't flown with Virgin since a return trip where the IFE didn't work & most of the plane was held together with Duck tape! Have flown BA the last 2 trips & for a total of 6/7 in all.
No bubble or preferred seating that I am aware of, "free drink " yes & wine with your meal also yes. Not sure of current menu.
I haven't seen a VA price South of £1000, even out of Manchester, whereas there are plenty of BA seats at £500 or under. Whilst I would generally say that I don't care how we get there as long as it's at the right price, having flown TC, 3 years ago, it would need to be very right to use them again!
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

As a long time VA fan..in 2 weeks time we're flying BA..hoping we'll find it comparable at least with VA.I never really enjoy in-flight meals anyway but fingers crossed,it can't be any worse than VA surely.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I traveled to San Diego from EDI Via LHR 2 weeks ago... wine was served with meal, some asked for 2 and were gladly given them
Meal was a tomato pasta dish which was OK, a roll and butter and a lovely chocolate mousse dessert thing... I wasnt drinking so didnt pay that much attention to the drinks trolley to be honest

I was in 54c which was the second back row, on the aisle of a center of 4 seats... bit cramped but I stood for quite a bit as the guys next to me was 6 foot + and his knees and shoulders were half in my seat...seats which are 2x2 on the sides looked like good seats...bit of room between the seats and the window to stretch out

Ba also didnt get my baggage on that flight... I had to return to the airport 24hrs later to collect it as they put it on the following days flight... after I had to go shopping to get essentials

I returned 3 days later on the same route... oh, and BA didnt make my baggage on the return flight either

Glad I am going VA again for holidays next year...
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Didgey
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Moz View Post
I traveled to San Diego from EDI Via LHR 2 weeks ago... wine was served with meal, some asked for 2 and were gladly given them
Meal was a tomato pasta dish which was OK, a roll and butter and a lovely chocolate mousse dessert thing... I wasnt drinking so didnt pay that much attention to the drinks trolley to be honest

I was in 54c which was the second back row, on the aisle of a center of 4 seats... bit cramped but I stood for quite a bit as the guys next to me was 6 foot + and his knees and shoulders were half in my seat...seats which are 2x2 on the sides looked like good seats...bit of room between the seats and the window to stretch out

Ba also didnt get my baggage on that flight... I had to return to the airport 24hrs later to collect it as they put it on the following days flight... after I had to go shopping to get essentials

I returned 3 days later on the same route... oh, and BA didnt make my baggage on the return flight either

Glad I am going VA again for holidays next year...
You do know BA dont actually control the baggage handlers?

I have flown both and say in economy they are comparable and similar in both offering and service. Would say BA are actually better in their service compared to that of VA.

Depends where you are flying from as planes will differ as to recommend a seat.
Didgey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 17, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Didgey View Post
You do know BA dont actually control the baggage handlers?

I have flown both and say in economy they are comparable and similar in both offering and service. Would say BA are actually better in their service compared to that of VA.

Depends where you are flying from as planes will differ as to recommend a seat.
Not sure about the baggage handlers... but I know I paid BA to get me and my luggage to various locations in the last few years... 5 times now it has fallen down on the luggage part.

At the end of the day I would probably go with the cheapest as its a mode of transport but would choose VA if they were cost comparable
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 17, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We've flown a couple of times with Ba to Orlando and have found them fine. Yes the planes are in need of a refurb (which is starting soon) but we found them to be alright. My daughter needs assistance on the flight and they have always been fantastic with that.

We're flying with Virgin next year but only because they fly direct from Manchester and the flight prices were good. In fact my mum still wanted to use Ba as we've had no problems with them but flying from Manchester is so much easier for us.

After speaking with both Ba and Virgin special assistance so far Ba have been better. I sent Virgin an email and one of the things I mentioned is that we like to board the plane last as this makes things so much better for my daughter. Their reply said "to make things easier you can board the plane first"
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

We normally travel VA but in August travelled BA for the first time. If I had a choice and money to one side, I would choose Virgin. However, we did receive a great service going out to San Francisco with BA in economy. Yes the seats were a bit old and tatty but the enthusiasm of the cabin crew made up for it. Great service.
On return we flew BA Premium economy. What a let down, antiquated IFE and footrests that did not work. BA PE does not hold a candle to PE Virgin and I was glad I only paid a small amount.
I've also had flights with Virgin where cabin crew were rude and unhelpful. So I guess in a nutshell, you pay your money you take your chance. You get good and bad flights and experiences in economy with most airlines. Much down to the cabin crew, service and the efficiency of IFE etc... My baggage has been lost a few times by different airlines. Not a lot you can do about that.
My personal opinion in economy is there is not much in it. You still sit there for X amount of hours. If BA are hundreds cheaper, it's a no brainer.

Edited at 07:07 PM.
tinytots is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

The BA 777-200 fleet on the MCO and TIA routes are tired and grubby inside. And BA cost cutting on cabin service has become the stuff of legend in recent times. (offering a cereal bar for 2nd meal).

However, in 2018, refurbished cabins are being introduced gradually, as early as May/June. And their CEO has announced there will be better value re-introduced on inflight meals etc.

With the refurb, though, the aircraft are also being "densified". Extra seats squeezed in. 10 wide in economy. And premium economy is overpriced most of the time

But they do tend to be affordable compared to competitors. And as long as their prices, including connections to London, remain competitive, I'd still use them.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
They are ok, saying that last year had the worst air hostess’ ever, I was chatting up the back of plane with a couple of ladies, we were told to talk quieter as they were trying to sleep... a day time flight Just three hours into it.

Planes can be a bit older , bit jaded. Thomas cook were more modern, cleaner planes.
As for the food, not as good as Thos cook, oh and as usual the return breakfast is dire, then again it is on most airlines .